Talk

Advanced search

I've never seen anyone wearing those Fly shoes that are always mentioned on here

(22 Posts)
naturelover Thu 08-Sep-11 10:12:12

Despite living in a London suburb where I am sure there is a high concentration of MNetters!

So who wears them?

Round here it's converse, birkies, ballet pumps, fitflops and knee-ight boots in winter. And some uggs too.

I can't figure out what style of clothes goes with Fly shoes either. Enlighten me please!

DamselInDisarray Thu 08-Sep-11 10:14:29

I have a pair of fly shoes. They shred my feet/the backs of my ankles and leave me with enormous blisters every time I wear them. Hence I do not wear them much.

Maybe other people have the same problem.

AlpinePony Thu 08-Sep-11 10:23:37

I think it's because when people get them home they think "what the munting fuck? I cannot wear these in public" and so they're consigned to forever be "garden shoes".

Because you just wouldn't , would you? wink

KristinaM Thu 08-Sep-11 10:27:48

i don t knwo how to break this to you OP

but there IS life outside your London suburb hmm

naturelover Thu 08-Sep-11 10:29:36

Yes KristinaM but I have two young children and I don't often get the chance to leave my postcode. I wish I did!

DamselInDisarray Thu 08-Sep-11 10:30:32

The ones I have are years old and they do look very nice. They're very plain brown leather wedges with a wooden heel and an ankle strap.

However, the leather is completely unforgiving and have not softened up one bit over the years. They may as well be made of iron. And the ankle strap is a complete nightmare. Put them on for 5 minutes and I'm bleeding at the ankle. The leather is stained with my blood. They also have little decorative leather laces at the front which absolutely do not stay tied for more than a minute. They're so infuriating that I had to cut them off and glue the ends together.

Still, as they're torture devices rather than shoes, they aren't even really suitable to be garden shoes.

Occasionally I go a bit mad and think I might be able to wear them and end up hobbling around. I stupidly wore them to a job interview once and had to bandage myself up on the way with plastered and try to disguise my limping. When I got home I had the most enormous blisters.

I've told DH to remind me of this should I ever want to wear them again.

FrancesFarmer Thu 08-Sep-11 11:13:14

I've seen them the odd time. They are usually worn by middle-aged women with a "quirky" fashion sense. Often paired with multi-coloured and/or appliquéd garments, colourful wooden beads and wild hair. It's a look that suits some but it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

HallnotOates Thu 08-Sep-11 11:14:30

the gopping MOL ones

ew ew ew

HallnotOates Thu 08-Sep-11 11:14:58

often worn with HUDEOUSO white stuff skirts and quirky neckalces

TapselteerieO Thu 08-Sep-11 11:22:32

I have these red shoes - not very fashionable but very good for shopping and they go well with skinny flares, giving me a little boost without feeling like I am tottering around.

I am not a huge fan of fly shoes, though these have always been comfortable, I quite like the look of the Fly trainers too.

JennyPiccolo Thu 08-Sep-11 11:35:21

My mum has a pair.

TapselteerieO Thu 08-Sep-11 11:57:33

I have the mol boots too, and wear them regularly, but I don't have anything from white stuff and only own one skirt (h&m mini skirt in dark blue baby cord) - I live in rural Scotland.

Cartoonjane Thu 08-Sep-11 16:30:32

Now I'm worried.... I have several pairs of Fly shoes (well at least 5) and I wear them all. In fact I'm considering another pair (Valve Bootie in red if anyone would like to give an opinion). One pair is uncomfortable in the way described by Damsel (I thought they were the same ones until laces were mentioned) but the others are all very comfortable. I don't think I'm a quirky dresser.....

higgle Thu 08-Sep-11 16:34:09

For work only - not sexy or stylish in the usual meaning of the word, but very comfortable.

kerstina Thu 08-Sep-11 19:08:59

I love fly sandals, shoes and boots and you lot making disparaging comments about people who wear them will not put me off.
I love the fact I can have extra height with comfort. They are the only high footwear I can walk for miles in.
Have bought too many pairs of fly shoes this year mainly because you can get cheaply from amazon as the price seems to change every week for the different colours of different styles.

wigglybeezer Thu 08-Sep-11 19:16:52

Oh god, I just bought a pair in a sale and they rub my heels, I was hoping they would stretch. They are easy to walk in for the height though. When i was young we all wore Doc martens and ripped jeans so i have never got the hang of "killer" heels.

Tip: I experimented with using silicon based lubricant, normally used for "grown-up" activities to reduce the friction on my heels, it works quite well and doesn't stain the leather!

talkingnonsense Thu 08-Sep-11 21:40:14

I have a pair of fly boots and I live in Kent!

neuroticmumof3 Thu 08-Sep-11 21:47:52

Oh dear, I rather like appliqued skirts. And White Stuff skirts. And I aspire to Fly boots/shoes. I also work in social care. Have I turned into some kind of fashion crime stereotype? Oh god, I have, haven't I?

snowmummy Thu 08-Sep-11 21:48:11

Fly mol boots rock - that's all I'm saying

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 09-Sep-11 07:21:30

I have a couple of pairs of Fly shoes, a pair of boots and sandals. I was wearing a pair of the shoes yesterday. I don't wear White Stuff or appliqued skirts. One pair of shoes is definitely "quirky" but I don't think you would pick out the other pair as being Fly, as they are quite dull. I walk a lot, and they're quite comfortable. I live in Paris. (Is that relevant?)

Ifancyashandy Fri 09-Sep-11 12:10:12

I knew no of these items so I've just googled them.

MY EYES shock!

On a par with my Dragon Butter moment.

Man, them shoes is fugly!

higgle Fri 09-Sep-11 15:43:13

neuroticmumof3 - only if you have fiecely short hair adorned with a children's hairclip and carry a cycle hat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now