Talk

Advanced search

I went into Monsoon today...

(18 Posts)
MardyBra Wed 07-Sep-11 19:57:12

... and it's all a bit Abigail's Party isn't it?

MardyBra Wed 07-Sep-11 19:58:57

particularly this one

MardyBra Wed 07-Sep-11 20:00:38

or this one

Themumsnot Wed 07-Sep-11 20:05:19

They have this in the window of my local Monsoon. I have to avert my eyes as I walk past.

MardyBra Wed 07-Sep-11 20:08:50

The problem is I remember my mum wearing similar garments in the 70s and can't get past that. That yellow number looks like the sort of things DM would whip up on her sewing machine for me.

omydarlin Wed 07-Sep-11 20:11:08

I love it all lots of A lines and hiding of the upper arms !! But then again Margot from the Good Life is one of my style icons..I have also noticed Charity Shops knocking out 70s style dresses for a good £20 or so shock

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 07-Sep-11 20:17:25

Monsoon need a lesson in customer service.

Went in the bath store today to look at children's clothes with 2 year old DD - of course children's stuff is downstairs (no lift) so leave pushchair at top of stairs. Ask an assistant if thats ok and she tuts at me!

Needless to say we walked out of the overpriced acrylic/polyester hidesouness that is monsoon.

Ahem rant over - sorry - agree their stuff is not my cup of tea.

MardyBra Wed 07-Sep-11 20:19:51

for omydarlin

onepieceofcremeegg Wed 07-Sep-11 20:20:56

Their policy is to never have the children's dept on ground floor level I think! I have been in a number of branches and it is usually upstairs (or downstairs in Bath I gather from MrsCB's post)

I asked very firmly once what would happen if my dc's grandfather was with us (as he often is) and wished to treat them to an outfit; he uses a wheelchair and is unable to travel a flight of stairs.

Staff member mumbled and looked sheepish but I didn't let it go. I asked what their policy was wrt to the Disability Discrimation Act. Eventually she said that a staff member would bring items downstairs for us to view. This was said rather reluctantly.

omydarlin Wed 07-Sep-11 20:32:07

Oooh thank you Mardybra see her suitability as a style icon whom all mnetters should worship ?? If your not convinced here she is wearing our very own mumsnet scarf love her much more than the Felicity woman

LaWeasel Wed 07-Sep-11 20:34:27

They did do that for me once (bring a selection of things down for me) at the staff's suggestion in Monsoon in Cambridge, where of course, all the baby clothes are on the second floor with no lift.

The staff were lovely about it, but it's bloody stupid. And I wonder if they do it on purpose in a "these are not EVERYDAY baby clothes, these are special gifts from relatives to be worn sparingly baby clothes." way to make the prices seem less ridiculous.

And yet I still raid their kids sales...

tethersend Wed 07-Sep-11 20:38:00

Margot is my style icon.

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 07-Sep-11 20:41:04

I love a bit of Margot too - never got the appeal of Felicity wink

Tethers as an aside - tried on a nice fine polo neck in gap today - is on hold until tomorrow when 30% discount kicks in

tethersend Wed 07-Sep-11 20:44:35

Oooh, nice MrsCB...

My uber-icon is Chrissy from Man About The House. Or Mildred. Can't decide which.

fivegomadindorset Wed 07-Sep-11 20:48:50

Our Monsoon, all on one floor so accessing kids cothes not a problem but don't seem to think that boys exist hmm, have taken to not putting the size on the hanger so I have run away, I don't have time to trawl through. I think the management has changed as well as have yet to find anything over a size 18 when before I could guarantee to get something.

On the plus side M&S have some pleasingly nice things (well stuff that I like and feel comfortable in)

lovemysleep Wed 07-Sep-11 20:55:01

I love it all! Am and always have been a bit of a 70's fan anyhow...well, apart from the excessive use of man-made fabrics smile. Still remember how sweaty my polo-necks and floor-length party dresses were when I was a little girl....

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 07-Sep-11 21:01:58

You see I have a yen this winter for a russian/folksy/margot style dress which Monsoon are almost doing.

Oh Tethers - I love midlred and chrissy too [applies more mascara and pale pink lipstick]

Five - agree re. lack of boy's stuff

Mumsnut Wed 07-Sep-11 21:24:16

I have two older sisters and they had those exact dresses in 1972. Of course, everything they had was eventually handed down to me whether I liked it or not, so I was the last person in Grantham to get out of flares. And that's saying a lot.

So I am averting my eyes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now