Talk

Advanced search

Black tie ball....HELP!!!

(30 Posts)
cleanteeth Wed 07-Sep-11 08:44:51

DP and I have been invited to a black tie ball, what do I wear?! I've never been to anything like that. DP says he's checked and the women won't be wearing gowns, just dresses (so glad he narrowed it down so much! wink)

Please could you help me find an outfit without it costing a fortune. Im 22, size 10-12. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kladdkaka Wed 07-Sep-11 09:50:47

Think 'red carpet', so a glamorous party dress. Lots of fun.

worldgonecrazy Wed 07-Sep-11 09:57:44

You can't go wrong with a plain column dress, it will serve you for years so is a good investment. Go for basic black, or a muted colour that suits you, perhaps dark blue or dark green. I have one bought in my 20s that I still wear today, 20 years later.

cleanteeth Wed 07-Sep-11 10:07:29

Where do I start looking? I've never really seen any "red carpet" clothes in the shops I shop in. I'm so naive!!

LouRoucas Wed 07-Sep-11 10:10:52

Have a look at netaporter.com for inspiration. Also theoutnet.com

Have a good look in Debenhams too. Failing that Coast or Monsoon sometimes have nice plain dresses. Just keep it simple and elegant.

worldgonecrazy Wed 07-Sep-11 10:24:44

ebay can be useful, if you get lucky.

I've had a quick google and something like this looks boring on the hanger, but with the right underwear (very important) and some jewellery and hair done, it would look a million dollars and very classy.

Kladdkaka Wed 07-Sep-11 10:26:08

Monsoon have a few nice ones, although I'd stay away from the flowery/patterned ones as they don't really look like black tie event dresses. Debenhams of course have gazzillions, again I'd stay away from the flowers and patterns as they look more weddingy than black tie. (I've just fallen in love with the debenhams pink origami ruffle prom dress, can I come too?)

worldgonecrazy Wed 07-Sep-11 10:27:49

I'm in love with this one.

tethersend Wed 07-Sep-11 10:27:54

What's your budget?

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 07-Sep-11 10:31:41

Coast have some nice ones. I like this

ilovesprouts Wed 07-Sep-11 10:33:08

ebay

worldgonecrazy Wed 07-Sep-11 11:05:41

lots here

cleanteeth Wed 07-Sep-11 12:47:07

Hmm, I like the idea of a LBD. Keep it simple and then spruce up with some fancy accessories maybe.

I'm not sure what the budget is, will speak to DP and see how much he lets me get away with! I'm guessing not much more than £100 though.

I quite like this

Might prefer this one here as its not quite as short.

Do these sort of dresses seem ok for black tie? What accessories would you put with them?

vonnyh Wed 07-Sep-11 15:22:04

Neither of those suitable for black tie IMO. You need something more glam!

Thumbwitch Wed 07-Sep-11 15:29:18

Think more cocktail/ prom dress than simple evening out stuff.
Doesn't have to be full length by any stretch of the imagination but it should definitely be more "dressy" than the two you have suggested.

I second Debenhams evening wear as a good place to look.

tethersend Wed 07-Sep-11 15:37:39

NO to those dresses, sorry. As vonny says- not glam enough.

How about:

This?

This?

This?

This?

This?

This?

MrsSnaplegs Wed 07-Sep-11 15:39:41

Agree with vonnyh neither of those are Black tie dresses - will try and find something but I am at work at the moment.

Have to go fairly regularly so I would say (from experience)

Full length or mid calf
Glamourous
Not too revealing around cleavage - better to look classy than cheap.
block colour not patterned

MrsSnaplegs Wed 07-Sep-11 15:48:08

how about

this?

or

this?

Thumbwitch Wed 07-Sep-11 15:49:32

If you are after the LBD, it needs to be more like this sort of thing but you can go a lot more glam than that - try going through ebay's list of formal dresses, narrow down according to size and colour.

Thumbwitch Wed 07-Sep-11 15:51:35

Another point - if it is actually a ball, dancing will happen. These days it is rarely any kind of ballroom dancing, it's usually just some DJ and his collection - so you want to have a dress you can dance in without being trodden on or tripped over, IMO (fond memories of balls not so long ago)

planetpotty Wed 07-Sep-11 15:55:07

Cleanteeth this is E A S Y size 10-12? early 20s? ha I would kill for this to be my brief whilst shopping for me smile

Get thy wonderfully skinny bum to Coast or Karren Millen.

LBD is always classy especially if you get your hair put up in a v glam style by a hairdresser, maybe think audry hetburn??

You will look nice in anything at that size im sooooo envy

smile

worldgonecrazy Wed 07-Sep-11 16:00:38

Quick tip - try looking at ebay.com rather than ebay.co.uk. There are some great Yves St. Laurent dresses which work out very reasonable at the current dollar/pound exchange rate.

cleanteeth Wed 07-Sep-11 16:57:19

I'm so rubbish at dressing up, can you tell I dont do this often?!
Can I get away with wearing something shorter than my knee's but not too short? I've got really short legs so anything midcalf might make me look a bit daft.

I like some of the dresses suggested but they're all a bit to £££ for me sad

I'm going to crack on with getting DS sorted for tea and then have another look, I'm only going to buy it if it passes your approval!

Thanks for the help so far smile

CeliaFate Wed 07-Sep-11 17:10:27

How about one of these?

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 07-Sep-11 17:22:02

LBD Very nice (assuming you're ok with strapless)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now