Talk

Advanced search

OCM didn't work - now what???!

(15 Posts)
Pepa Wed 07-Sep-11 00:24:43

So I've been trying OCM but after sucess in the first 4 weeks my skin went crazy sad

OCM seems to have made my spotty/combination skin even more extreme in its variations. I now have lots of spots on my forehead and scaley red dry skin around my nose and mouth - so attractive!!!

Things went really bad after I introduced castor oil to my almond/jojoba mix but despite taking it out four weeks ago and only steaming a couple a days a week my skin still looks really rough.

So what do I do, just revert back to my old cleanser? Has anyone tried this does your skin get worse?

Any advice would be appreciated right now!!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 07-Sep-11 11:57:03

I have combi skin and OCM didnt work for me but I went so red after the first night I took the hint and stopped.

I drink 2 litres of water a day, avoid high sugar foods and use Liz earle.

Boring but it works.

peggotty Wed 07-Sep-11 12:05:34

Yes I've given up on it too. I have combination skin. Tried for 6 weeks and it just made me spottier and spottier. I feel really peed off about it as it was so cheap to do! I might still do it occasionally as a treatment but have just gone back to a cream cleanser. Really disappointing!

JeremyVile Wed 07-Sep-11 12:15:38

OCM didn't work for me either.

Skin looked fantastic for about a week then I got massive open porse on my cheeks (where I'd never had them before) really bumpy forehead and cheeks and horrible blackheads. Took a long time for my skin to get back to normal once I stopped OCM. And the pores on my cheeks only went after I started the skincare I'm doing now.

I now concentrate on exfoliating. I always did exfoliate about once a week but now I do it twice a day. My skin problems are blocked pores and greasy/dry skin and the exfoliating has really helped with all of that.

I take off make up with wipes, put a hot flannel over my face for about a minute to open up the pores then massage in a creamy cleanser (I prefer ones with AHA as helps clear pores), then I use an exfoliating pad and gently clean all over then a hot flannel again to wipe away all the cleanser.

Also a couple of times a week i do the warm honey and aspirin face mask.

My skin is the best it's looked in years. No blackheads, pores are almost invisible, no dry patches, not greasy and it has a lovely healthy glow about it.

JeremyVile Wed 07-Sep-11 12:19:25

I wouldn't bother with exfoliating creams and washes this is much much more effective and far cheaper.

TinyWeeTeethGreatBigBite Thu 08-Sep-11 00:15:08

Ok ladies, I feel your pain, well I used to that is ...

I had similar issues to those described here when using OCM, I tried using different oils in my mixture but after some research I found out about adding an emulsifier to the mix.

This really made a big difference and my skin is great now.

I've posted on here about it before, on a thtrad for OCM for greasy skin. I will try to post a link. I may be some time ...

TinyWeeTeethGreatBigBite Thu 08-Sep-11 00:27:26

OK hope this works.

m.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1276720-Oil-cleansing-method-oily-skin-how-long-should-I-give-it#thread

NotADudeExactly Thu 08-Sep-11 07:05:39

My OCM disaster resulted in the worst acne I've had since I was a teen. Angry red bumps literally covering my face all over - including in places that had never broken out. To be fair, I am acne prone but usually manage well and have clear skin with some clogged pores/occasional blackheads.

I've now started using benzoyl peroxide again (used this in my early twenties when acne was moderate) and - because BP dries out the skin really badly, am using extra glycerin with my moisturizing regimen.

Two months after OCM I look about normal again. I've also had some microdermabrasion for some of the scarring, though.

TinyWeeTeethGreatBigBite Thu 08-Sep-11 07:47:47

I think that's the really bad thing about OCM, when it goes wrong it REALLY goes wrong!

NotADudeExactly Thu 08-Sep-11 07:53:51

I think that's the really bad thing about OCM, when it goes wrong it REALLY goes wrong!

IME you've hit the nail on the head with that.

^And when it was good,
It was very, very good
But when it was bad she was horrid.^ grin

sedgiebaby Thu 08-Sep-11 08:27:24

Not remotely cheap but Clarisonic might work particularly well for your skin type, you can easily find upwards of 2,000 reviews of this product online consistently rating it highly for addressing problems with combination/spotty skin. QVC do an older model but it was on easy pay when I got mine and you always have the money back guarantee with them...

Pinot Thu 08-Sep-11 10:23:54

Oooh nooooo! I'm on week 4 of ocm and skin is OK at the moment. Am reading this with interest.

HouseOfBamboo Thu 08-Sep-11 10:30:37

I think so much depends on the oil you use. Castor oil is weird stuff - it's so hard to rinse/scrape off anything, I can't believe it's good for your skin so I don't use it at all.

Rice bran oil is excellent for non-greasiness and rinseability.

Also (for spot avoidance) it's really important to use a clean flannel/muslin every day, or else use something disposable like kitchen roll.

HouseOfBamboo Thu 08-Sep-11 10:32:35

oh and it's a good idea to add a couple of drops of tea tree oil to your oil bottle, to knock out any germs that might breed inside the bottle.

Pepa Mon 12-Sep-11 12:58:27

Thanks everyone, Sorry I disappeared for a while my daft phone gave up the ghost last week so I've been bumbling thro' life without the guidence of Mumsnet - not a pleasent sight!!

Well my skin is so much better and getting better each day. Just wish I hadn't waited so long to stop.

JeremyVile I came to the same conclusion reg. Exfoliation although I'm going slowly after my OCM disaster!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now