Talk

Advanced search

Accessorise this very dull dress for me please

(20 Posts)
SchnitzelVonKrumm Tue 06-Sep-11 23:30:34

For a wedding. It is dull, dull, dull but not mustard or rust with a strangely draped neckline. I despair of the British high street. Wedding is in Scotland in the Autumn (ie. it will be freezing).

MmeLindor. Tue 06-Sep-11 23:31:48

What dress? Am I missing something?

Collision Tue 06-Sep-11 23:32:30

link to it please

Why buy such a dull dress if you dont really like it?

SchnitzelVonKrumm Tue 06-Sep-11 23:33:57

This one. So dull I forgot to link blush

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 06-Sep-11 23:36:46

That is a dull dress.

Bangles. Too much detail for much around the neck.

You need some kind of shruggy thing if it's going to be cold.

animula Tue 06-Sep-11 23:37:50

It's nice! Don't you be so mean to the nice dress!

How's about hot pink or yellow shoes and a fake fur stole, with a big, big brooch. Bright red lipstick, pale face, fifties eyliner and a smouldering expression?

You could be the bad lady who drinks martinis, is a fountain of witty bon mots, and looks as though she could run off with anyone at the wedding at one bat of her eyelashes, should she so desire.

<sorry, is that too camp?>

<but it is a nice dress - I don't know why you're so down on it.>

Collision Tue 06-Sep-11 23:39:27

shoes

feathery fascinator

Dress is OK but if you had asked us for help we could have done better! wink

animula Tue 06-Sep-11 23:39:56

And I have to say, I'd wear a tight, fluffy, fifties-style cardi and a big brooch. but that probably isn't what you'd do for a wedding, or should do, in fact. I just don't think I'd be able to keep a check on my inner Rizzo.

MmeLindor. Tue 06-Sep-11 23:41:03

Have you linked to the right dress? It is a nice dress.

I like Animula's fake fur stole idea, but would maybe go with black heels and a dainty clutch.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Tue 06-Sep-11 23:45:07

I bought it because it was better than the 262 other dresses I considered on my way about central London this morning. I wanted sleeves, a deep v-neck, some slink, and to keep away from the yellow-brown spectrum (must? rustard?). It ticks a box <<<sighs>>.

MmeLindor. Tue 06-Sep-11 23:45:53

for Animula's inner Rizzo

I think she would wear this.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Tue 06-Sep-11 23:46:31

It is not a horrid dress, just a bit boring. Think camp may be the way to go.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Tue 06-Sep-11 23:50:14

I don't get to dress up very often nowadays, so was hoping for something a bit foxier.

animula Wed 07-Sep-11 00:01:39

grin @MmeLindor.

My dd saw that in JL the other day - it is mighty fluffy. She buried her little face in it and made soft, delighted, muted-squealing noises. I had to prise her off it.

Do you know, I have googled for pink or yellow high-heels and can't find anything that isn't, actually, a bit weird.

nude shoes, on the other hand, are as prevalent as slugs in my garden this cold, damp night. which sounds a little disparaging, though I quite like the whole nude-colour shoe thing.
Am surprised - struck me that one way to "work" the whole "block colour" trend is to go for the "bright" with your footwear. But there you go. Fashion is an odd thing.

MmeLindor. Wed 07-Sep-11 00:05:22

I am so sick of the sight of nude shoes. Everyone here is wearing them. Boring.

Black or colourful.

animula Wed 07-Sep-11 00:05:25

MsSchnitzel, I am quite sure that dress will work as the perfect unassuming background that will serve to highlight your extreme foxiness.

MmeLindor. Wed 07-Sep-11 00:06:09

And grin at the thought of your DD snuggled up to that bolero/shrug/Daphne disguise

animula Wed 07-Sep-11 00:32:33

@MmeLindor - I like the idea of it being a little Daphne-like.

SchnitzelVonKrumm - the other thing that you might consider is a 3/4-length day coat. It is the "classic" option, with shades of the older members of the royal family. But you could carry it off with a vintage or vintage-looking day coat, because the dress is picking up on the 50s trend.

Taffetta and rough silk are warm and would the contrast in texture with the material of the dress would mean you could go for a colour close to black or whit (OK, that's cream or grey, really).

SchnitzelVonKrumm Wed 07-Sep-11 10:32:27

Coat could work, though the line between Joan from Mad Men and mother-of-the-bride is a fine one, I fear. The print is a dark navy rather than black though -- red accessories? Purple?

Bumblequeen Wed 07-Sep-11 11:36:24

It is a chic dress. I would go for bright heels, say red. Black may give you an 'office' look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now