Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you still be funky in bootcut jeans!?

(102 Posts)
Teachermumof3 Tue 06-Sep-11 20:22:11

I posted earlier about feeling apple shaped at the moment (size 12-14, 5 foot 3, diminishing waist, increasing arse, good legs, big boobs, age 34) and I really don't think that skinny jeans suit me-I look like a triangle!

Does anyone out there wear bootcut jeans and feel they don't look like their mum!?

Where can I buy decent jeans that are slim on the thigh but fit on the hip-has anyone tried the Levi Curve ID ones?

Ragwort Tue 06-Sep-11 20:24:50

I hadn't realised that boot cuts were so 'over' until the other day on the Style & beauty thread (which I rarely read - for obvious reasons grin).

I only ever wear boot cuts, I am very 'chunky' and skinny jeans would look absolutely horrendous on me - I don't think I look my mum - but she wears polyester slacks grin !

MatLeaveForever Tue 06-Sep-11 21:46:04

I also only wear bootcut jeans, I'm pear shaped and short and skinny jeans are made for tall skinny legged people if you ask me!

Recently got some from River Island which even my hubby complimented me on (unprompted!) - they're stretchy bootcut ones, about £40.

talkingnonsense Tue 06-Sep-11 21:47:20

What about flares or wide legs? For a change?

Helltotheno Tue 06-Sep-11 21:48:42

They're not over at all, still selling in all the brands and in all the shops!
Haven't tried the Curve ID ones but will as soon as poss. I'd say pay a bit more for a pair that's well made and suits your figure. Skinnies aren't for everyone and in fact lots of people I see wearing them would probably look better in another style tbh.

TattyDevine Tue 06-Sep-11 21:51:27

Oh FFS better to be a shape needing bootcuts in bootcuts than a shape needing bootcuts in skinnies! And vice versa! Some people should not ever wear skinnies or straights, some people will never "need" bootcuts and can't "do" flares.

Do what works for you. I personally believe any "look" can be modernised or made funky or sassy or whatever if you know how. I don't always know how, but I 100% believe there is someone out there who does!

stripeybump Tue 06-Sep-11 21:52:32

As long as you're not wearing mum boots with them you should be fine smile

WhollyGhost Tue 06-Sep-11 21:54:02

<looks down>

Mum boots

and bootcut jeans

so what boots should we be wearing? Eyes clarks 20% off webpage...

ElectricSoftParade Tue 06-Sep-11 21:55:41

I really don't suit skinny jeans and still wear bootcut. Am 5' 9", size 14 with reasonable norks. If I wear skinny jeans (without boots) I look like a clown.

BUT I do buy most of my clothes from charity shops so am not too picky.

I like to try and look reasonable and think, most of the time <hopeful>, I manage it. Wear what you like, can afford and feel comfortable in.

TheSandstoneCat Tue 06-Sep-11 21:55:57

What are mum boots?

Columbia999 Tue 06-Sep-11 21:56:56

New Look do really nice stretch bootcut jeans for £9.99

latrucha Tue 06-Sep-11 21:59:28

Another thread on here said Falmer jeans at Matalan were good. I'm going to check them out.

I wear bootcuts and widelegs. I just don't 'get' other things. I did try some skinnies on. I looked horrendous.

stripeybump Tue 06-Sep-11 22:24:07

Mum boots

LordOfTheFlies Tue 06-Sep-11 22:28:39

I've got some of those boots ( not exactly, mine are rounder toes and brown, got them last year, from M&S)

I wear bootcut jeans (5'5" size 12 bum half)

I'm a mum. Twice.

Do I get a prize? Eh Eh grin

electricslide Tue 06-Sep-11 22:47:01

I bought two pairs of curve id jeans in Florida last month. I'm v big without much waist but with v big boobs. I bought slight curve in a 20 in boot cut (with stilettos and pretty tops not mum boots!) and skinny (my legs are pretty shapely and they will be worn with knee high duo boots and tunics), they fit so well! The other two sizes were ok but to fit my non waist tended to be bigger in the bum. Lovely dark denim and so comfy! I'd recommend but try on if that's possible over here.

electricslide Tue 06-Sep-11 22:48:30

Oh and I think sizing is a bit smaller than you'd think. I'm a 20 pretty consistently here in bottoms nut needed a US 20 jeans.

hmc Tue 06-Sep-11 22:52:33

Style isn't what other people dictate. I wear both bootcut jeans and skinny jeans, and am not going to be told by a fashion journalist or their acolytes that bootcut are over

tethersend Tue 06-Sep-11 23:17:21

Actually, bootcuts have been out so long, they're now in.

wildfig Tue 06-Sep-11 23:30:27

I wear bootcut jeans. I don't care. I'd rather people had the vague sense that I was unfashionable than the certain knowledge that I have the powerful thighs of an England scrum half in high heels.

IWouldNotCouldNotWithAGoat Wed 07-Sep-11 00:44:46

Yes, but don't wear them too short, don't wear them with black boots and stop using the word 'funky'. grin

LovelyCuppa Wed 07-Sep-11 00:54:48

They're coming back. Gucci are doing flares. I need a pair of these and a lottery win to buy 'em!

TheBride Wed 07-Sep-11 01:04:44

I have been wearing low rise boot cuts since before they were invented, in that I used to wear vintage Levi men's jeans as a teenager when women's jeans all seemed to have a tapered leg and high waist (or of course you could have gone for the spray-on snow wash option with zips on the ankles).

I love 7 for all Mankind in NY dark.

Agree re length though. Do not have the bottom swinging around your ankles

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Wed 07-Sep-11 01:20:14

Whats wrong with looking like my mum? She is incredibly funky! Id rather wear boot legs and look like my mum than wear skinnies and look like one of those God awful students that walk round my town, with their arses and muffin tops hanging out of too tight trousers that look like they are only held up by sheer good luck! IMO only about 10% of the population should wear them, the rest just look terrible!

PerryCombover Wed 07-Sep-11 01:37:40

I don't think jeans are for everyone anyway..there are loads of jeans crimes scratching around the highways of the UK

I'm not sure why we see them as such a holy grail item. Generally they are only good on the long limbed and slim or teeny tiny. Even then the wrong cut can ruin you.
Better to get some decent trews I think

CheerfulYank Wed 07-Sep-11 01:41:49

No skinnies here. There's a difference between fashion and style, y'know...style is knowing what suits you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now