Talk

Advanced search

what do you think to this scarf? warning real fur alert.

(41 Posts)
carriedababi Tue 06-Sep-11 20:19:31

here this type of thing?

Clarabumps Tue 06-Sep-11 20:22:19

love it! dons flame proof suit and digs out debit card
someone will be along in a minute...

MissVerinder Tue 06-Sep-11 23:24:36

Nooooooooooo.

Please don't. No flamey-flamey, Carrie, but I like you and can't imagine you in fur.

ZombiePlan Tue 06-Sep-11 23:43:46

I think you could get a fake one that would look just the same. There are sooo many good fake fur items for sale these days, you really don't need to buy the real stuff.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 06-Sep-11 23:44:49

I like it. <runs>

nancythursday Wed 07-Sep-11 07:05:46

I like it.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 07-Sep-11 07:29:41

I have seen much more beautiful fur and fake fur scarves.

That one looks like an actual tail to me smile

I wouldn't wear a fur scarf though because I am creeped out by it - there were cats fur scarves sold on Market stalls a few years ago, imported from China.(and I love my cats)

And most animals whose pelts are used are electrocuted
anally.

I do have an antique fur coat though from 1909 (was great granny's) and I've worn it in the mountains in Italy but I wouldn't wear it here.

LouRoucas Wed 07-Sep-11 07:34:00

Would look better in silver Fox.

gregssausageroll Wed 07-Sep-11 07:44:37

horrible.

moonmother Wed 07-Sep-11 08:04:36

It does look nice- but I wouldn't wear real fur.

Where I used to work used top quality fake fur to make scarves/ hats/stoles and to be honest if you get a top quality fake fur it really does look like the real thing.

worldgonecrazy Wed 07-Sep-11 10:16:58

I think it looks a bit too much like racoon tails, rather than a nice fur scarf. I'd go for mink or rabbit, or maybe even stone marten/squirrel.

I also don't agree with comments that you can't tell the difference between real and fake, it may be difficult in photos but I can spot at 20 paces in real life.

tethersend Wed 07-Sep-11 10:26:51

I'd wear vintage fur but not new fur.

Mind you, that's academic, as that scarf is bloody awful.

Pootles2010 Wed 07-Sep-11 10:35:13

It's hideous. Obviously the point about cruelty to animals is moot as if you were bothered you wouldn't have looked at it anyway.

Expect to be heavily criticised/have paint thrown. Which will probably improve it.

ditavonteesed Wed 07-Sep-11 10:37:13

I bet it would look absolutly gorgeous........................on its rightful owner. angry

sprogger Wed 07-Sep-11 10:44:39

I would never, ever wear racoon. I can't stop thinking of the racoons that used to hang out in the dumpsters behind the restaurant I worked in as a student. They were like big rats with striped tails and masks. And they hissed. (Shudder.)

higgle Wed 07-Sep-11 10:49:42

Not nice!!

GloriaVanderbilt Wed 07-Sep-11 10:55:45

It does look like two tails stuck together, I mean WHY, it's not pretty, plus they came off some of the most hideous smelly creatures known to man.

Yum.

what is attractive about it? I don't get it.

plus what Tethers said...I have an old coat with a fur collar, think it's rabbit, and far too late for anyone to be profiting from it (got for £4 in a charity shop many years ago) but anything manufactured commercially (rather than someone just shot a rabbit and did it themlseves, which to me is different from large scale organised cruelty for money) then they can take it and piss off. I won't be paying them for this sort of monstrous activity.

GertieGuineaPig Wed 07-Sep-11 11:21:23

No horrible! If you really do like it though, couldn't you find a faux fur alternative?

bishboschone Wed 07-Sep-11 11:34:27

Nasty!!!! I am surprised at so many people who like real fur .much nicer on the animal. sad

God no. I couldn't hang a dead thing around my neck <shudder> Plus, it's fugly.

Popbiscuit Wed 07-Sep-11 11:55:48

Agree it looks like a couple of racoon tails sewn together. We see racoons dead on the road all the time here so it makes me think of road kill (and they are pests...one step up from rats). I'm not opposed to fur, though. Could you find a less racoon-y one or a good fake? The style and length is great!

redheadbedhead Wed 07-Sep-11 12:02:04

what tethersend said.

blueskydrinking Wed 07-Sep-11 12:45:41

I have a question and it may be a stupid one but it's a genuine question.

I couldn't wear fur, I'm squeamish about it. The cruelty argument is drilled into me and I find it a little... inappropriate. But how is it different to wearing the skin of an animal on my feet?

I'm not sure about the scarf... it does look like someone just lopped the poor creature's tail off.

ditavonteesed Wed 07-Sep-11 12:56:27

leather is a by product of the meat industry, fur is killed purely for fur.

Pootles2010 Wed 07-Sep-11 12:57:30

I believe it's because the fur industry is not regulated bluesky. So your fur could have come from an ethical company in Scandanavia, or it could have come from some god forsaken place (often in Asia I believe but could be wrong) where they skin live animals.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now