Talk

Advanced search

Help, I've become apple shaped!

(22 Posts)
Teachermumof3 Tue 06-Sep-11 13:32:56

I have seemingly put on some weight over the summer and whilst trying to find some clothes for work that fit, I've realised that whilst my arms and legs are ok, my middle is expanding and everything looks rubbish sad

My jeans don't fit without a big swathe of fat above them and from behind (I have been peering at myself in those mirrors that show all views!) my tops cling to my arse and make me look square, lumpy and huge!

Obviously, I need to lose some weight, but what the hell can I wear now that doesn't make me look like a waistless box!

I was a size 12, clearly now a size 14-5 foot 3, 34DD boobs and not particularly big hips-just a huge arse and no waist!

JosieRosie Tue 06-Sep-11 13:35:16

Bumping and watching with interest - another apple shape here! smile

fishie Tue 06-Sep-11 13:36:03

empire line.

fishie Tue 06-Sep-11 13:36:29

tunicy things from boden

Teachermumof3 Tue 06-Sep-11 13:37:39

Ooh, thanks fishie-any links for empire line things?

Millie1 Tue 06-Sep-11 13:43:59

I've got an apple tummy too and find empire line just makes me look pregnant. I despair, like you OP, everything's fine except my tummy. I don't need to loose weight (even checked my BMI last night and it's 20 so ok) but I do need rid of the tyre around my middle .... and fast! Meantime I'll watch this thread to get top ideas.

On the subject of tops, I got the double layer top from Boden and it's a lovely shape and have the autumn gypsy top in my basket.

talkingnonsense Tue 06-Sep-11 13:44:47

No, empire line will make you look pregnant! Loose but fitted is the way to go.

talkingnonsense Tue 06-Sep-11 13:45:49

X post Millie! Layers are good and long drapey scarves/ necklaces if you suit them?

Teachermumof3 Tue 06-Sep-11 13:48:37

Ooh, I like the double layer top-is it bottom-covering!?

I feel like I need something with a 'panel' insert at the front in a different colour, to give the illusion of being slim!!?

Teachermumof3 Tue 06-Sep-11 13:49:44

Like this...
http://www.joebrowns.co.uk/sp+Womens-Dresses-Tunics-Crinkle-Majestic-Mixer-Dress+LD263

but I think this is too long!

Teachermumof3 Tue 06-Sep-11 14:10:16

Good tips, thank you talkingnonsense! Where should it be fitted if not overt the bust, do you think?

Millie1 Tue 06-Sep-11 14:20:21

Can't remember Teacher as it is hanging in the wardrobe waiting to be broken out for autumn! Think it certainly hits the hip - covers waistband of jeans and then some. It's a nice length!

ImeldaM Tue 06-Sep-11 14:35:15

Me too sad
Agree no to 'empire' line, will look pregnant. I find tunic style or loose tops with slim fit trousers, in the correct size (so no muffin-top grin) is good.

Gillybobs Tue 06-Sep-11 14:43:23

It's a struggle for sure. For me (size 16, 5'7", very apple shaped) the formula that works is slim leg trousers or jeans (as my legs and hips are my best features) and then blouse-type tops that come to hip level, then I wear a cardi over the top. The blouse doesn't cling like jersey tops can, (I often buy printed styles as the pattern keeps me from looking too big I reckon) and the cardi in a contrasting colour definitely helps minimising how my top half looks. A few recent buys that Im loving:
this in navy and green I wear with a green or navy cardi. 20% off code on the go just now
I wear this with navy cardi too

I find this approach stops me looking too big and square on top.
HTH

Teachermumof3 Tue 06-Sep-11 21:27:28

Thank you-you've given me some great ideas! I think I need to go shopping and buy a pair of decent jeans that fit (skinny or bootcut!??) and that will help everything else hand properly.

I've just found this http://www.bravissimo.com/pepperberry/products/dresses-and-skirts/day-dresses/gypsy-floral-dress/flower-print/cb03fp/?show=all&sort=1

Which I love but it's not cheap!

bertiecat Tue 06-Sep-11 21:39:11

I agree withy Gillybobs -- I am an apple and skinny jeans, boots and a tunic top that stops on my hips but just skims my apple middle is the most flattering - the eye is then drawn to your best bit -- your legs and not your middle.! - Layers are good too with a tighter one underneath a a shorter looser boxy top.smile

Gillybobs Wed 07-Sep-11 11:09:09

OP, just read a comment you made earlier about a panel at the front creating an "illusion", I think thats what I am tryng to create by wearing a plain cardi on top of a patterned blouse underneath. I just didnt describe it very well! Your eye just sees the patterned "panel" of the blouse, rather than the plain cardi.

Teachermumof3 Wed 07-Sep-11 11:25:51

Yes, Gillbobs-that's exactly it-an illusion!

What sort of cardi do you wear-a 'boyfriend' style? (I really had that word-I've never had a boyfriend that wore a cardi...)

talkingnonsense Wed 07-Sep-11 11:49:07

Well today I'm wearing a patterned shirt, jeans, and a fitted blue cardi from new look, with the cuffs ands tails of the cardi sticking out to break it up. Only the middle buttons of cardi done up to give a kind of waist effect (hopefully anyway!). Often do shirt or t shirt under cardi ( buttons down front give a line), sometimes one with 3:4 sleeves, or a t under a plain sleeveless tank, with the t showing at the hem ( I am long bodied as well as appley, so having a layer showing at the hips works well).

talkingnonsense Wed 07-Sep-11 11:49:59

Sorry, I find boyfriend cardis too droopy, but I am short.

Thumbwitch Wed 07-Sep-11 11:53:27

Apple shape is dangerous, as I'm sure you know - and as I know but I'm still having troubles doing anything about mine!
Working on cutting down the sugar and alcohol intake and increasing exercise will help to get rid of the apple shape and save you having to make all these style decisions, plus save you a heap of money in new clothes wink

I get round it by wearing looser waistbands whenever possible (to avoid the muffin effect) and non-stretch tops that come down to the tops of my legs - but really really need to do something about it for health reasons.

Gillybobs Wed 07-Sep-11 12:01:42

OP, I actually find boyfriend cardis arent the best, too much of the one colour on my top half. I prefer a normal cardi over a slightly longer blouse/top.

Thumbwitch I agree with you but even when Im slimmer I still have a top heavy figure (big boobs whether slim or overweight) so the same style rules apply. I dont think you need to be unhealthily overweight to be apple shaped

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now