Talk

Advanced search

My winter coat is grey, can I wear brown/tan boots or do I need black?

(22 Posts)
PottyRefusnik Mon 05-Sep-11 15:21:17

I'll usually have my jeans on, will brown/tan boots look daft with a grey coat? I think it will look odd. I need black boots don't I?

Kidsandpets Mon 05-Sep-11 15:39:46

I wear brown boots with my grey coat and I don't think it looks odd, well at least I hope it doesn't!

FunnysInTheGarden Mon 05-Sep-11 15:52:48

depends on the shades of grey and brown I think. Pale grey and a mid brown might be OK, but even as I type this I am thinking hmm. Not really sure, I think I would go with black

LaCerbiatta Mon 05-Sep-11 15:56:12

I think brown is perfectly ok with grey - I think depending on the shades it may actually look better.

What's your colouring? If you're not too dark it'll look better as brown shoes / bags look generally nicer on fair people.

PlumSykes Mon 05-Sep-11 16:42:42

I would never pair grey and brown. Sorry!

mrmistoffelees Mon 05-Sep-11 20:40:25

I have this coat and wear it with these boots and it looks fine, as long as my bag is anything but black.

northernruth Mon 05-Sep-11 21:02:32

There was a picture in the paper this weekend of a model in tan boots and a grey outfit, looked fab and suitably retro. I'd say tan yes, brown no.

chipstick10 Mon 05-Sep-11 21:11:56

I think brown and grey look just fine. You wear whatever you like babe, anyhting goes these days.

Popbiscuit Mon 05-Sep-11 21:14:13

Grey looks great with brown or black.

I like brown and grey. I think jeans look weird with black boots, so would choose brown for that reason too.

rubyrubyruby Mon 05-Sep-11 21:19:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsRhettButler Mon 05-Sep-11 21:20:25

Yh, your bag needs to be brown or grey too then it will be fine smile

defineme Mon 05-Sep-11 21:20:36

jeans look cack with black boots unless they're very dark indigo/black jeans -anything vaguely mid blue looks very old fashiond with black-it is a fashion rule that's been discussed on here before.

chipstick10 Mon 05-Sep-11 21:29:32

Re jeans and black boots, i go further and never ever wear black and blue together in any combo, especially navy and black just dont like it.

rubyrubyruby Mon 05-Sep-11 21:31:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I like navy and black clothes together, providing the textures are right. Eg I have a navy silk dress which looks v nice with a black mohair cardigan and black opaques for winter evenings.

partyhats Mon 05-Sep-11 21:56:23

I never wear black shoes/boots, any shoe generally looks cheaper in black (imo).

chipstick10 Mon 05-Sep-11 22:00:10

i agree partyhats

Popbiscuit Mon 05-Sep-11 22:47:56

Good point, Remus. Your outfit sounds lovely BTW.

PottyRefusnik Tue 06-Sep-11 13:09:04

Sorry to not come back sooner. I think you're right, its about the shades of the grey and brown. The brown is really more of a tan so I think if it was a darker brown it would be ok. I'll just have to keep on looking!

Its a matter of finding boots wide enough on the calf, whilst not drowning my ankle that are black (or dark brown) and that I can afford. Needless to say it might be a long search!

fishie Tue 06-Sep-11 13:28:56

i never wear black either, grey is my black. and i wear it with brown and blue and purple. all at once.

adamschic Tue 06-Sep-11 13:34:11

I'm no style icon but learnt from here that blue jeans and black boots combo is a no no. Grey and brown would be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now