Talk

Advanced search

Describe your idea of the ideal autumn/winter coat/jacket to fit this scenario ...

(6 Posts)
Millie1 Mon 05-Sep-11 13:52:46

It's lashing rain, you have 4 kids to get into the car, two of whom have to be strapped in. All communtes are by car as you live in the country but you have to keep hopping in and out of said car to get children in and out of car seats and walk them into their respective buildings, also messages to local shops etc. It might be mild, it might be minus something (admittedly unlikely to be raining if the temperature is below freezing), it could be blowing a gale (not that unusual!).

So, what is the right jacket to keep me dry? Please give me your ideas as I am sooo close to buying a Barbour which won't fill that criteria (but which I want anyway hmm) but I just can't find the 'perfect' or nearly perfect alternative.

Thanks!

carciofi Mon 05-Sep-11 13:58:37

I have the barbour Kate, which I really like and is great for autumn/spring but I am planning on getting the North Face arctic parka for winter. I have heard that the Barbour arctic parka is nice too.

AWimbaWay Mon 05-Sep-11 18:49:32

I'm considering this rain poncho Figure it'll fit over a warm jumper if cold but be lightweight if milder.

I'm still not convinced though, I've been searching for a stylish solution to what you describe for 5 years now, it doesn't exist.

madammecholet Mon 05-Sep-11 18:52:47

I've a Barbour Ladies International Jacket which is perfect!

Millie1 Mon 05-Sep-11 20:49:47

Thanks all ... it's a conundrum! I think Carciofi has figured it out - the Kate and A.N.Other! Carciofi re the Kate. How do you find the collar sits after it has been worn in? I have 6 Barbours shock in my bedroom including the Kate and the Utility jacket. They are very very similar - the Utility is lined in a heavier Barbour check, the collar on the Kate is ever so slightly different and seems to stand up better but for me other really noticeable difference is the shoulders. When they're laid flat, you can see that the Utility has a squarer cut shoulder and the Kate 'slopes' (for want of a better description!) more. I notice it when I have them on as my posture is terrible and I think the Kate emphasise my rounded shoulders but DH doesn't notice. If only I wasn't trying them on side by side it would be an easier decision to make! Can't decide between better collar on Kate or heavier lining and more flattering fit on shoulders of Utility but collar might annoy me.

Oops, I've written an essay!

Back to the original question, it's a tough one to crack but I think I will need at some stage to get something like the Parka to fill that gap. Can't afford it now though if I buy the Barbour as also need want good jeans and new boots plus a few tops! grin

carciofi Mon 05-Sep-11 21:21:38

Hi Millie, I haven't tried the utility but the collar stays up well on the Kate. I have ebayed loads to fund the arctic parka!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now