Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Creme de la Mer

(14 Posts)
mckenzie Sun 04-Sep-11 21:07:30

I have decided to treat myself to some face creams etc as I'm feeling/looking very old just now and have heard such good things about these products.
I'm just wondering now though, where will be the best place to go to be advised on what I need? Selfridges? John Lewis? I know it shouldn't matter where i go but.....

TIA

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 04-Sep-11 22:43:42

The vast majority of the big (expensive) brands sell through concession model - so in John Lewis, Selfridges, HoF etc, the staff on the Clinique counter will work for Clinique, those on CDLM will work for Creme etc etc. This means that they are only trained on, and will therefore only recommend, their own products. Fine if you know which brand you want, but realise that they are biased, and they are paid commission!

If you want a sales assistant who is not tied to one brand, suggest somewhere like Space:NK, where the assistants work for the store and are trained on all their brands. Slightly different range of brands, tends to be slightly more niche and 'trendier', IYSWIM.

Or, option 3, which is probably much more fun is to start a thread here asking for recommendations. Tell us what your skin is like, what your skin concerns are and what your routine (skin) and budget is. Then many many product junkies will relish 'prescribing' a new regime for you grin.

mckenzie Sun 04-Sep-11 22:51:07

thanks Hazel.
I'm pretty much decided to go the Creme de la Mer route after seeing the change in my friends skin and also reading beauty editors recommendations etc. I was just wondering if anyone had experience of the different stores Creme de la Mer staff to make a suggestion as to where to go.

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 04-Sep-11 23:06:08

They'll all have been through the exact same training on their product, so really it is down to personality.

Gotta say, I associate John Lewis people with being 'nicer'. Of course this is really down to the reputation of the store itself!

Ooh, if you get totally hooked you could go to the CDLM spa in Harrods!

JohnniesBitch Mon 05-Sep-11 01:13:09

Cdlm isn't for everyone though. Whilst I appreciated the overnight effect of one application, the smell and texture didn't suit me. I found the smell really strong and just not to my liking so much so that I couldn't face using it again. Luckily I had only brought a small sample pot and not the full size jar.

gregssausageroll Mon 05-Sep-11 07:33:53

I didn't like it! In fact, I even gave it away. I didn't like the texture or the smell and I am not convinced it did that much for me. All that rubbing and patting did my head in. I am back to my Elizabeth Arden stuff that I like.

mckenzie Mon 05-Sep-11 08:31:38

interesting - thank you very much.
perhaps i will ask for the sample pots first as I was planning on going the whole hog with eye creams, serums etc as well. i appreciate that I'll be investing a huge sum of money and I don't want to be disappointed from the outset with the smell and texture.

I think I'll do like Hazel suggested and do another post with my skin type etc and see what you guys recommend too smile

PeriPathetic Mon 05-Sep-11 08:40:50

I don't find the scent strong. In fact, it's very light indeed to my nose. Everyone's different and you do need to try it first.

The moisturiser is very thick, which some people don't like but there are lighter lotions.

FWIW I think it's absolutely brilliant and the ONLY brand that a) works for me and b) doesn't give me zits or a rash.

whoneedssleepanyway Mon 05-Sep-11 09:36:48

my DH bought me a pot one year for christmas. It was great, but it will take your skin a little time to get used to it. It is as others say quite thick and can feel heavy but after I had been using it for a short while it did really make a difference to my skin but initially i did get a few breakouts while my skin adapted but I didn't stop using it and these went and my skin then looked great.

i do think though you can get other creams that do just a good a job for a fraction of the price, I am currently using Neals yard frankincense cleanser and hydrating cream and they are both really great. my skin is fairly normal to dry and the frankincense is great for anti ageing properties.

one of my friend's mum's bought creme de la mere for my friend's DD when she had the chicken pox to stop the scarring, when my DD caught chicken pox she gave me some to use on her.....i used it on myself blush

HeavyHeidi Mon 05-Sep-11 09:55:37

I don't like the texture of the original, but I have the gel-cream and this is lovely.

mckenzie Tue 06-Sep-11 17:31:17

I think based on all your comments (and thank you all, very helpful) that I shall go to my big John Lewis and have a mooch round a few counters and see what appeals.

JustAnother Tue 06-Sep-11 18:06:15

I have always been a Cdlm fan - tend to get it from Selfriges or the airport. However last year I discovered Elemis Pro-Marine and it is really good. If you go to the counter in Harvey Nichols, the assistants are very nice and they are generous with samples.

mckenzie Tue 06-Sep-11 18:35:59

Ive never been a Harvey Nicks girl Justanother - maybe it's time I was!

Havingkittens Tue 06-Sep-11 19:02:00

I bought a pot with my very generous staff discount when I was working for another Lauder brand. It was too rich for me and brought me out in terrible spots so I gave it to my mum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now