Talk

Advanced search

Wool / crepe dresses and sweating - am I alone?

(11 Posts)
Emo76 Sun 04-Sep-11 20:27:00

I have lots of wool or wool mix dresses and a couple of crepe dresses for work (all dry clean only) and I find they really don't "wear" well under the arms....of course I use deodrant but it feels like I need to dry clean them almost after every wear which is expensive and annoying. Sorry if this is TMI but they really make me sweat and then get market under the arms. Also I find with a sleeveless dress and wool/mix jacket I have the same issue with jackets.

It is bugging me - I just wondered if there is something wrong with me - I can't justify buying dry clean only tops at all either. Or does everyone have this issue and are there any tips (apart from don't buy these..)

ApuskiDusky Sun 04-Sep-11 20:59:42

Hi Emo! As you know I'm buying a few dresses for my new job, and some will inevitably be dry clean only (style over practicality!!). My plan is to buy some very thin scoop neck short sleeve t shirts to wear underneath, so that I hopefully get a little more wear out of them (disclosing my slatternly habits!!). Probably from uniqlo. But I haven't got any sleeveless dresses, so a bit of sleeve won't be visible.

Other than that - negotiate a dry cleaning account with appropriate discount?!

herecomesthsun Mon 05-Sep-11 01:15:55

I just don't buy dry clean only tops and dresses, too impractical esp with small children as well. There are plenty of other style options out there.

LiveYourBestLife Mon 05-Sep-11 01:37:09

Try lightweight jersey tops which are low maintenance with a print design which can hide the sweat marks. Or baby wipes to pat you down. Or maybe try drinking lots more water.

Pudden Mon 05-Sep-11 10:18:34

you can buy reusable and disposable dress shields that attach to the inside of your clothing which absorb sweat and stop anti perspirant marking your clothes.

Google dress shields or sweat pads- loads to choose from

topsi Mon 05-Sep-11 10:28:57

Botox under the arms for sweating?

belsize77 Tue 04-Oct-11 17:47:19

Hello Emo and ApuskiDusky

Just wondering if you had any luck with this and found any suitable thin tops etc.... I have a similar issue!

I have to wear formal corporate type clothes for work so it is unfortunately just not possible to wear loose fitting/no dry clean suit jackets and dresses.

Pudden Tue 04-Oct-11 18:57:32

<jumps up and down> look at my posting...dress shields are the answer

belsize77 Wed 05-Oct-11 09:44:06

Do these really work Pudden - do they show and have you had the washable (!) ones or disposable....

Pudden Wed 05-Oct-11 10:04:37

I used the washable ones for jackets and the disposable for dresses etc. I found them wonderful and necessary when wearing polyester uniform (urgh)

Emo76 Fri 21-Oct-11 20:52:11

Thanks for the replies, I am going to try those dress shields!

In the meantime I got a bunch of tshirts from GAP - best I have found is sizing down in a gapbody V neck. Certainly helps with the dry cleaning bill!

Bit scared of the botox option - is it healthy not to sweat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now