Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

how much is your clothes budget?

(22 Posts)
cleanteeth Sun 04-Sep-11 20:03:59

I dont have a lot of clothes as I'd never really bothered much with shopping before. I'm now starting to enjoy getting new clothes/bags/make up etc and would like to know how much you spend a month on these. I'm a sahm and DP has said we could set up an "allowance" if you like, of how much I have to spend on clothes for me and DS. So far he has suggested £200 a month, does this seem reasonable?

Sorry for rambling by the way, I'm rather enjoying my wine smile

neuroticmumof3 Sun 04-Sep-11 20:12:36

I'm pretty skint so my budget for me is £50 a month, which goes quite a long way on ebay and in charity shops. I also occasionally splash out on something new but that's quite rare. I get things for DD as and when I see stuff I like for her but again to quite a tight budget.

Paschaelina Sun 04-Sep-11 20:14:47

<takes her hundred quid every 6 months or so and creeps quietly away>

Gillybobs Sun 04-Sep-11 20:16:30

I reckon that's what I spend on average on my own clothes/make-up, sometimes it is more if I have a big occasion to go to or am buying coat/boots for winter.

I have 2 DSs age 10 & 12 so and am noticing it getting more pricey to dress them as elder son is now in small mens clothes. They arent clothes mad so prob spend £80 per month on average buying bits and bobs for them (this excludes a big school uniform shop in August when I buying everything they need including warm winter jackets and trainers etc) They get any expensive sports type stuff they want as xmas or birthday pressies.

I feel fortunate to be able to spend that much (although I'm sure many MNs will spend a fair bit more : ))

chocolatchaud Sun 04-Sep-11 20:18:47

I would be a bit put out at being offered an 'allowance' as I am no longer a teenager.

However, I think that is a pretty generous one if you were to accept! I just prefer a joint bank account from which I help myself whenever I think we can afford it wish.

ssd Sun 04-Sep-11 20:20:06

sorry, op, this idea of your dh "giving" you an allowance doesn't sit well with me

and you must know, your £200 is a fortune to some and a pittance to others

busybee1983 Sun 04-Sep-11 20:20:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Greenshadow Sun 04-Sep-11 20:21:00

Golly, we spend no where near that. Probably a couple of hundred a YEAR on me and maybe similar on 3 DSs excluding school wear.

Parasaurolophus Sun 04-Sep-11 20:23:07

DH and I both take £50 a week to spend as we please on clothes, books, music, meals out, etc. We call it our allowance. We automatically send £50 from the joint checking to these personal savings every week. This keeps us from bickering about personal spending.I do manage to find ways to expand this budget just a wee bit.

Anything to do with the kids does not come out of this pot. This is personal spending money.

cleanteeth Sun 04-Sep-11 20:30:25

I did think it sounded a bit much! It is to spend on household stuff aswell but I only really shop at places like H&M which are dead cheap anyway.

I do know I'm very lucky to have that money though. And it was my idea to have a set amount of money put aside cos im crap at money management so I thought at least if I go over set amount I wont be spending any more.

busybee I am loving the wine thankyou! Not so good combined with online shopping though!

TheSandstoneCat Sun 04-Sep-11 20:38:55

parasaurolophus - we do exactly the same. Glad I'm not alone! I think it's important to have "unaccounted" money. Mine goes on clothes, make up, girls night out. We both agree, by negotiation, on some items that come out of the pot - we both need a winter coat for example so they're a necessity, not a luxury. DS's budget is out of the joint budget. DH has a full time job and I work half-time. (and we call it our pocket money!!)

omydarlin Sun 04-Sep-11 20:47:26

I often think I spend too much money buying cheap crapness from really cheap shops (storetwentyone, tesco, peacocks) that don;t last

southeastastra Sun 04-Sep-11 20:49:21

get him to give you a credit card if he's going to give you an 'allowance' then spend all you like and pay off the allowance each month grin

you do get better deals online

omydarlin Sun 04-Sep-11 20:49:33

..sorry didnt finish post about 40-80 a month more if its Next sale - I shop in awful shops not cost effective - I am trying to change this especially as we have a brilliant outlet village near me and some of the clothes are lovely quality

busybee1983 Sun 04-Sep-11 20:51:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

southeastastra Sun 04-Sep-11 21:01:03

it's worth spending more on clothes that are more hardwearing, i like marks and sparks limited edition, topshop and american apparel for t shits/sweats

chocolatchaud Sun 04-Sep-11 21:03:45

Sorry am feeling very childish tonight but had to snigger at 't shits' grin

southeastastra Sun 04-Sep-11 21:20:36

bugga grin

magicmelons Sun 04-Sep-11 21:27:38

Joint account. The kids winter wardrobe stuff and school stuff will probably have cost me about 500 quid but that's them done until at least Christmas, I buy as and when i need it. £200pm sounds like alot but in reality Sept is expensive, Christmas is expensive and if we had an event to go to i could easily spend that. What will he do if you need coat and boots will you have to save your allowance until you have enough? Will he be flexible. Would hate to have an allowance, as someone else suggested a 0% card that you paid off with your 200 quid might make better sense.

Marne Sun 04-Sep-11 21:31:20

We budget for £30 a week to cover clothes for all of us (dh, me and 2 dd's) but TBH i spend more as shoes can cost a fortune and if one of us needs a coat it can easily be more than £30 a week smile

SnapesOnAPlane Mon 05-Sep-11 09:45:46

I don't have a budget, I just spend as and when i need. Although if I'm
planning a shopping trip especially for my own clothes and make up i'd budget about £200 unless I have my
eye on something

HeavyHeidi Mon 05-Sep-11 12:24:45

Surely it depends on your finances?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: