Talk

Advanced search

Foundation for sensitive skin - ideas welcome

(12 Posts)
FairyBlueBell Sat 03-Sep-11 20:58:15

After a few years of irritated skin, the dermatologist did some patch tests and I'm sensitive to cobalt.

His sage advice was to stop wearing all make up ..... I've since tested bare minerals and a rimmel liquid; and both make my skin flare up.

Google not much help as all I find are loads of sales sites for mineral makeup - frustrating!

Advice on which brands to try would be very welcome.

QuinnFabray Sat 03-Sep-11 22:40:44

There are SO many foundations available, there must be something that would work for you. Unfortunately it will be down to trial and error to find it. I often buy a foundation, try it once and then sell it on eBay, so you don't necessarily have to waste a fortune.

Perhaps one of more natural organic brands would be a good starting point to try.

QuinnFabray Sat 03-Sep-11 22:42:41

http://www.naturisimo.com/

Sorry can't do proper links as my keyboard is half broken.

Clarabumps Sat 03-Sep-11 22:48:27

I'd go to your nearest origins in house of Fraser, all natural ingredients! Speak to the consultant and get her to try some on you. Take a wee pot and you can take some home to try later! smile

PJFanClub Sat 03-Sep-11 23:14:11

Dermalogica?
I can't see cobalt on the list of ingredients but don't know what other names it might be known by. They are very good at providing samples. Their tinted moisturiser is also nice.

RockChick1984 Sat 03-Sep-11 23:40:59

Go round debenhams or another department store, ask at all of the makeup counters, they will usually give you a free sample (I have sensitive skin) so just try them all. If you explain what you are sensitive to hopefully they can suggest something for you.

FairyBlueBell Sun 04-Sep-11 13:39:27

Thanks everyone grin

Can feel a solo shopping trip coming on where I can wander round the makeup counters begging freebies.

letsblowthistacostand Sun 04-Sep-11 16:00:19

Clinique tinted moisturizer is pretty awesome. I'm very sensitive and it's really the only thing that doesn't make me itch.

In addition I find it's very important to take the makeup off completely, Clinique also does a sort of paste that works well. Try to get something without any fragrance as that only seems to exacerbate the problem.

PercyPigPie Sun 04-Sep-11 18:23:31

I have extremely sensitive skin. Firstly I would recommend buying from Boots as they are quite good with refunds if you react to something that is allergy tested.

I use No7 Mineral foundation (not sure if it contains colbalt, but I am sure it will say in the tube) and have used Clinique in the past when my skin was very allergy ridden.

whojimmyflip Sun 04-Sep-11 19:04:11

You might need to avoid bismuth which is in bare essentials and many other brands. Try lily Lolo IMO the most natural of all the mineral foundations and you can get tester pots for 1.25. The website is Lilylolo.com Also there is a brand called cover fx which sells in house of frazer - supposed to be especially for hyper sensitive skins. Its not cheap but is a long established brand in Canada.

Dermalogica tinted moisturiser makes my eyes itch so I'm not sure about it. Also it has massive bits of light reflecting things which make it oddly shiney.

whojimmyflip Sun 04-Sep-11 19:09:43

Also Everyday Minerals. An American website but available through Cocktail Cosmetics.

Lily Lolo and Every Day minerals are both excellent, fairly priced and informative brands. Dont waste time on others especially not the high street brands. Even luxury brands like Laura mercier are not true mineral foundations as they have other stuff like talc and bismuth

FairyBlueBell Wed 07-Sep-11 19:08:39

Thanks all - and have to say, just love your nickname whojimmyflip (only because my Gran referred to everything that she had "lost" the name for as a hoo-jimmy-flip)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now