Talk

Advanced search

Help! Maternity tights (again . . .)

(18 Posts)
rosebery Fri 02-Sep-11 20:37:31

I know this subject seems to get done to death every time Autumn / Winter comes around, but can anyone help??

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and am already finding 'normal' opaque tights a bit uncomfortable. When I was pregnant with my first, I found the choice of maternity tights really limited. I don't really want to spend £20 / £25 per pair, as my toes go through them so quickly! But the cheaper ones just seem to be rubbish . . .

I've got a couple of maternity wrap dresses I want to wear again, and what I need are some tights that haven't got that seam down the front as it can show through the dresses (mothercare tights, I think.)

Any recommendations for good maternity tights that stay up, don't have huge seams, don't go baggy at the knees . . .?? Or am I asking for waaay too much here (and should simply wear knickers over the top of the ones I'm wearing now?!)

Thanks in advance.

actiongirl1978 Fri 02-Sep-11 20:40:20

M&S maternity tights are brilliant. No seam. Mothercare were dreadful in comparison. Good luck and enjoy those dresses. I looked better in my IO dresses preggers than I do now!!

Scootergrrrl Fri 02-Sep-11 20:41:41

Normal tights, slit down the front with pants over the top, a la Superman, worked for me!

rosebery Fri 02-Sep-11 20:47:47

Oooh can't wait to wear my two IO dresses again! Just bought another tonight in their 'Spree' sale - 32% off! (So bought a jumper too - had to be done.) grin

WipsGlitter Fri 02-Sep-11 22:08:16

Top Shop - fab!! Good dark colour, over the bump NEVER rolled down.

rosebery Sat 03-Sep-11 11:58:26

Thanks for the tips! Didn't realise top shop did them - will take a look.

Testarossa2468 Sat 03-Sep-11 13:06:59

Hi Asda had loads of maternity tights on sale in store, saw them on Thursday smile

Scaredycat3000 Sat 03-Sep-11 17:48:27

I can't recommend these but I really want to buy some, I'm 33 weeks so can't justify buying any sad.

KittyChat Sat 03-Sep-11 21:01:50

I had three kinds when I was pregnant recently.

George at Asda - really cheap and comfy BUT went greyish quite quickly and are cheap fabric.

Next - didn't go over the bump, only went halfway so didn't give me a very flattering silhouette (if you're at the point where you still care!). I seem to remember having to hitch them up regularly.

Red Herring - brilliant, best by far. But expensive!

TooImmature2BDumbledore Sat 03-Sep-11 21:12:31

Oooh, can anyone tell me if the Lida ones Scaredy linked to are worth the money? I'd love some claret or violet maternity tights for this winter to wear with all my black maternity dresses but if they're going to ladder easily/fall down a lot then I'm not forking out £12.99 a pair. [tight emoticon]

Thanks!

Scaredycat3000 Sat 03-Sep-11 22:17:43

Make sure you buy big enough and tuck under your bra?

rosebery Mon 05-Sep-11 13:49:11

Great tips - thanks! (esp the one about tucking the tights under your bra! :-D )

onelily Mon 05-Sep-11 13:52:20

[[http://www.isabellaoliver.com/maternity-clothes/us/100/maternity-hosiery-&-lingerie/LL017.html have your tried Isabella Oliver ones??>>

onelily Mon 05-Sep-11 13:52:54

*Sorry again
have your tried Isabella Oliver ones?

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 05-Sep-11 13:54:03

If you cut normal ones done the middle, do they need hemming or anything? I am going to need to buy some proper maternity tights or do that, I think - I was so uncomfortable at a christening yesterday that I began to contemplate whether there was any way I could discreetly remove my tights in church...

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 05-Sep-11 13:55:50

Or "down", even...

Wigglesmummy Mon 05-Sep-11 17:33:51

La Redoute always used to do pretty good ones

gallicgirl Tue 06-Sep-11 16:34:01

Don't buy Emma Jane tights- I only got 2 wears out of mine before they bobbled and laddered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now