Talk

Advanced search

Products suitable for 1 yo DDs very long, thick, curly hair

(21 Posts)
igglesniggle Fri 02-Sep-11 00:00:27

Im hoping someone here will be able to offer me advise on what products I should be using on my daughters hair.

She is only 13 months but has shoulder length curly already (which when wet stretches below the shoulders) she was born with the biggest mass of hair I (or any old lady I happened to encounter in the street(!)) had encountered. So Its not your typical baby curls, its very much adult texture owing to DH being of spanish decent.

Up until now we have been using 'baby' shampoo and washing every few days. But it has got to the stage where this is no longer cutting the mustard. Its lovely when first washed and allowed to dry naturally, all smooth and corkcrew curly.... but when she awakes the next morning its frizzy and generally out of control and has to be tied up until the next hair wash.

My MIL opinion is that we should be using 'proper adult shampoo and and wacking some moose in afterwards' but obviously this is going to be too harsh for such young hair and scalp.

So im after some tips of what I should be washing and conditioning it with and any spray treatments to put on when wet that would keep the curls looking neat and non frizzy.

My own hair is v.v. straight boring so i definatley have hair envy!

igglesniggle Fri 02-Sep-11 00:02:29

(Please forgive bad spelling/grammer above, im using my phone to post)

tabulahrasa Fri 02-Sep-11 00:04:33

Baby shampoo is IMO horrible stuff, it always leaves hair dry and frizzy.

I've always found adult shampoo much less harsh so I'm afraid I'm with your MIL, well partly, I wouldn't bother with mousse it's for styling not conditioning

BluddyMoFo Fri 02-Sep-11 00:07:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrimaBallerina Fri 02-Sep-11 00:16:34

No advice but the idea of 'moussing' a 4 year old cracked me right up grin

PrimaBallerina Fri 02-Sep-11 00:17:11

One year old sorry! even more grin

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JennyPiccolo Fri 02-Sep-11 00:22:48

Leave in conditioner is very good for curls.

acatcalledbob Fri 02-Sep-11 01:00:46

My DD has very curly hair that frizzes and tangles the next morning. I use adult shampoo for curly hair and a dollop of leave in conditioner - sometimes I even put a little in the next morning just to get a brush through her hair. A tangle teaser brush is a Godsend too!

stripeybump Fri 02-Sep-11 01:06:04

Go with your MiL suggestion and put a moose in her hair - no-one will notice the frizz grin

shauna72 Fri 02-Sep-11 10:32:59

Both my girls have v thick curly hair.I have tried lots of products. Adult ones can be too greasy and irritating to their skin. The best combination I have fiund is to use green people no scent adult shampoo and l' oreal kids leave in conditioner, bought at hairdressers, to comb through but quite expensive at £10. Previously have used johnsons leave in conditioner and a detangler spray from boots.
Hope that helps!

MissVerinder Fri 02-Sep-11 10:40:07

I hardly dare say it, but have you tried anything from Lush?

My NDN little girl has very curly thick hair, and when she comes to sleep over, I wash it in Rehab (stings soooooo bad if you get it in the eyes though) and put American Cream conditioner on. I rinse all the conditioner out, but when I'm combing it, rub a 5p sized blob through the ends.

Also, as an occasional thing, I'll put Hsuan Wen Hua treatment on and leave it on for a bit before washing.

Can't think of an alternative for Rehab though- they used to do a Curly Wurly shampoo which was lovely, but had bits of flipping coconut in it!

Also there's a no poo method, but I don't know much about that!

greenink Sat 03-Sep-11 08:27:30

Boots do a coconut leave in conditioner spray for about a pound. I have curly hair and use it with another product but it seems to help with the frizz. Mousse seems a bad idea for a little kid, sticky and it will add volume.

Bingbangbong Sat 03-Sep-11 08:33:40

Oooh, never brush curly hair! My curls were ruined until I discovered this.

Keep it trimmed regularly, and buy some moisturising cream. Use a tiny bit of it on mad frizz and it should calm it. I used burt's bees on mine, but it is expensive.

AlmaMartyr Sat 03-Sep-11 08:52:06

My DD has very curly hair. I don't wash it very often and when I do I use lots of conditioner (using the Boots Naked range atm). I have a little spray bottle with water mixed with a bit of conditioner and every morning I spray her hair until it's wet then comb through with a wide toothed comb. Every hairdresser I've spoken to has recommended this.

MummyCubed Sat 03-Sep-11 13:14:25

OP, I use Mixed Chicks for me and the kids' hair, although they are older than your DD (the curls didn't really come out until later on with mine). Although it's primarily aimed at black/white mixes, for want of a better phrase, my dad is from the ME and it works like magic on mine, as well as on a friend of mine's DCs who are originally from Mexico. It's a bit expensive, but it lasts for a very long time. You can find it online or in Hersheson's Blow Dry Bar in Westfield shopping mall which is where I get mine, there are probably other places as well if you look around.

MummyCubed Sat 03-Sep-11 13:16:40

Oh and don't brush it unless is wet, the curls lose their definition and turn into frizz. Wide-toothed comb also v useful.

londonmackem Sat 03-Sep-11 13:19:33

I use normal shampoo and conditioner and just don't do much conditioner rinsing. I use Aussie leave-in conditioner day to day to keep on top of the frizz and only wash her hair once a week. I also use a tangle teezer to brush her hair and it has been a life saver - well worth the £10.20!

RamblingRosa Sat 03-Sep-11 21:09:03

I use baby shampoo (currently using the Body Shop one which smells lovely) and then comb through Johnsons leave in conditioner.

Definitely don't go near the mousse!

I only wash DD's hair once a week and in between washes I just damp it down in the bath and comb through a tiny bit more of the leave in conditioner. It seems to put the spring back in it and get rid of the frizz.

I also recommend the Tangle Teezer brush. Won't use anything else on DD's hair.

And don't brush it any more than you have to.

Hope that helps.

CheerfulYank Sat 03-Sep-11 22:35:53

You might try Carol's Daughter. It's primarily for people who are black or mixed-race so quite good with curlier hair. And it smells divine . smile

BrikSchittHaus Sun 04-Sep-11 00:22:04

How about a tiny amount of Potion 9 by Sebastian Haircare? It's a leave in conditioner, perhaps try a gentle adult shampoo say Wella SP, followed by Potion 9 while hair is wet. Should be gentle and leave hair soft and manageable.

Also as her hair is fairly long, is it worth putting up on the second/ third day , it might help keep it clean for an extra day or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now