Talk

Advanced search

Help I need a smartish top for Saturday night to go with black trousers!

(22 Posts)
AngryFeet Thu 01-Sep-11 19:58:02

Just been told that my friends birthday do is now in a bar/club and we need to dress smart/casual. I have nothing but dull old tshirts. I have a new pair of wide leg black trousers and some nice brown pointy boots but no top. I am 5ft 3 and size 16-18 so need to try and look slimmish. I am hour glass in shape but have a bit of a belly, arms need to be covered a bit as they are lambs leg in size. Any ideas? I am running out of time....

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 01-Sep-11 20:06:11

What's your budget and where can you get to shop-wise?

Am thinking I'd ditch the trousers and go for a dress

blondassassin Thu 01-Sep-11 20:08:35

I bought this bird print silk top in Warehouse yesterday. Is really lovely on, nicer than it looks in the photo. Is that the sort of thing or do you really want long sleeves?

Istillfeelseventeen Thu 01-Sep-11 20:09:41

Id go for a black or white linen shirt and a fab necklace

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 01-Sep-11 20:12:05

dress

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 01-Sep-11 20:13:30

Or few undone buttons over a black vest.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 01-Sep-11 20:14:37

Oh pretty top Blond - why is the warehouse website so shite though - it makes everything look ghastly

blondassassin Thu 01-Sep-11 20:17:26

Black & Yellow Floral

Lace

Bird Print

blondassassin Thu 01-Sep-11 20:20:10

Thanks MrsCB! Totally agree re website - they make it all look bloody awful! The cut out bit in the sleeve is particularly pretty on the bird top, and you can hardly see it in the web photos.

AngryFeet Thu 01-Sep-11 20:30:46

I can spend about £30 and can get to Outfit which has DP, Oasis, Topshop, Wallis, Evans, Next and Miss Selfridge. I like the bird thing - is that in this season?

AngryFeet Thu 01-Sep-11 20:31:17

Couldn't get away with that dress MrsCB! Very pretty but my legs are BAD! grin

AngryFeet Thu 01-Sep-11 20:32:13

Oh and it has Warehouse - these are all outlets though but the DP one is big as is Topshop. Next is a seperate store.

blondassassin Thu 01-Sep-11 20:39:32

Yes - both Warehouse and Great Plains bird tops are this season. Ooh hang on, I remember seeing a cream/black bird top in DP a week or so ago...wait I'll try and find a link

blondassassin Thu 01-Sep-11 20:43:28

DP Bird Print Tops!

The one I saw in store and liked is on the top row, second from left. It's quite silky and slightly shiny in RL so could dress up your black trousers I'd say.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 01-Sep-11 20:44:34

The bird one is definitely in this season.

Am sure you'll find something in Outfit - DP generally pretty good.

tunic

pretty top

blondassassin Thu 01-Sep-11 21:13:01

Sorry misread earlier post about birds being 'in' this season grin. Yes Angry, as MrsCB says, bird print is everywhere at the moment.

CointreauVersial Fri 02-Sep-11 00:06:26

OP - Buy the Warehouse top and you'll be AngryBirds!

Actually, I love that one you bought, Blond, and am seriously tempted. Is it see-through at all?

blondassassin Fri 02-Sep-11 15:05:16

Hi Cointreau - not it's not see through at all. It is quite ££ for a Warehouse top but is 100% silk which I like. I sized down as found the fit pretty loose.

CointreauVersial Mon 05-Sep-11 21:01:11

Well blondassassin, thanks to you I looked super-gorgeous on Saturday night in my new Warehouse bird-print silk top! Many thanks for the link.

HallnotOates Wed 07-Sep-11 16:05:55

and John lewis has 20% off warehouse today

CointreauVersial Wed 07-Sep-11 18:08:32

Grrrrr......nothing worse than hearing I could have saved a tenner by waiting a few days. angry

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Wed 07-Sep-11 18:52:58

Mrs CB - I love that chiffon dress very 'Jeannie' if anyone remembers the original Randall & Hopkirk - very stylish

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now