Talk

Advanced search

Children's winter coats - advice needed O wise ones!

(15 Posts)
BleurghUna Thu 01-Sep-11 17:07:08

DD has got to the age where she is growing really fast, she still fits last year's coat but I think she will need another one come January. Should I buy her new coat now or wait until she actually needs it?

Don't want to be in the situation where she desperately needs a new winter coat and the shops are full of shorts and swimming costumes confused .

Do the shops still get new coats in December/January, ie when you actully need them?

Any advice welcome please!

Fairyloo Thu 01-Sep-11 17:25:15

I was having similar thoughts and because the weather is so unpredictable at the moment just bought a winter coat few weeks ago. I have struggled to be honest to find one I like and that all the other kids don't have in January to be honest.

Think one year monsoon had one but debenhams didn't so now just buy when I see.

snowmummy Thu 01-Sep-11 17:28:09

I'd buy one now in the next size up or you may find that you can't find anything later on in the season! Crazy but true.

BleurghUna Thu 01-Sep-11 18:56:18

Ah thanks Fairyloo and snowmummy. Have they got them all in yet do you think? Wondering about going shopping tomorrow.

going Thu 01-Sep-11 18:58:58

Plenty of shops have coats in now. I always buy a size bigger to last two years.

Last year DS grew out of his end of January, was really hard to find a replacement!

LolaLadybird Thu 01-Sep-11 19:18:34

I've just bought DD's winter coat. Was ordering some uniform and saw a nice one so thought I'd get on and buy it. 'Tis a tricky one - leave it too late and struggle to get one or buy early and then risk seeing something you like more later on!

sparkout Thu 01-Sep-11 19:43:01

DS coat broke at the end of Jan and there was nothing in the shops except sale stuff and summer type jackets. Was a nightmare, def get one now. I am not buying a supermarket one this year, have learnt my lesson on that one!

BleurghUna Thu 01-Sep-11 20:22:01

OK thanks. Why woudln't you buy a supermarket one, Sparkout? Are they poor quality?

herecomesthsun Thu 01-Sep-11 20:31:46

I stock up on coats when I see ones I like on sale/offer. DS should be ok for the next 2-3 years. This may be madness though...

herecomesthsun Thu 01-Sep-11 20:32:49

PS I suspect from the context that Sparkout's coat that broke may have been from a supermarket.

herecomesthsun Thu 01-Sep-11 20:35:08

Excuse the multiple posting, but GAP have a 20% offer, code PARTY, apparently, from another thread, so this might be of use to you should you fancy a coat from there (I am off to browse the maternity stuff).

BleurghUna Thu 01-Sep-11 22:16:55

Oh good idea to stock up herecomesthesun. Children only get bigger don't they?

LiveYourBestLife Fri 02-Sep-11 01:28:17

Outdoor shops such as Decathlon have stylish, colourful, coats with reflective bits, secret pockets, room for growth and laundry quality you don't allways get with a high street styles.

sparkout Fri 02-Sep-11 07:39:15

Yes hercomethesun, I bought DS a coat for a tenner from Sainsburys which her wore every day for autumn and most of winter then the zip did that annoying thing where it wouldn't zip, then would zip up but then unzip again from the bottom. My DM told me to replace the zip but it was a bit small and starting to go round the sleeves/lining. I suppose looking at it it almost lasted the season but I kind of figured it would last until he grew out of it

going Fri 02-Sep-11 09:57:25

sparkout, same thing happened to my dd. The zip went on her coat, I paid over £30 in M&S. Thankfully they refunded the full amount even though I had no receipt. Also happened in Jan/Feb and I couldn't get a replacement!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now