Talk

Advanced search

US Drugstores - what to buy?

(19 Posts)
Udderly Thu 01-Sep-11 10:05:26

Yippee, i'm off on my hols next week! I love browsing around Walgreens and Duane Reades, they have such an ahm, eclectic variety of products! grin Asides from Crest Whitening strips tho, I never buy anything much. What amazing products / bargains am I missing?

HotChip Thu 01-Sep-11 12:43:39

I'm off to US too, so interested to see what people suggest.

I could also do with some whitening strips, although have had sharp pains a couple of times and that puts me off.

I've seen ecotools brushes mentioned before but we have them here in Tesco's. Don't know if it's just cheaper there.

NewChoos Thu 01-Sep-11 12:47:49

I think all the following are much cheaper:
OPI nail polish
Tweezerman
Aveeno

Also if you go in Sephora - philosophy is loads cheaper and obviously all the US brands like Clinique and Origins.

NewChoos Thu 01-Sep-11 12:50:46

Are you going near any outlets? I have had good MAC/Origins/Aveda bargains there.

clawsatELVES Thu 01-Sep-11 12:51:46

MASSIVE pots of paracetamol (aka acetominaphen - sp?) or aspirin are good value and very convenient.
Also melatonin some people swear by for jetlag. I am one of them. But it is banned in EU.
L'Oreal Paris cheaper there too.
ooh, the new Olay thing - US has a stronger formulation, more of the active ingredient.
Big bags of Reese's Pieces, very important. Check out the M&M's, there is a new flavour that is very nice, no nice that I have forgotten what it is... Obv AVOID all other 'chocolate' out there, for it is rank.

orangina Thu 01-Sep-11 12:55:59

I like buying the Neutrogena stuff that isn't available here. Plus Matrix shampoos and conditioners.

Tootsie Rolls pretty much a compulsory purchase too, plus Life savers (Wint-o-green flavour of course.......)

Am quite jealous!

letsblowthistacostand Thu 01-Sep-11 13:11:54

Massive bottles of ibuprofen and paracetamol (acetominophen). Also allergy pills, Allegra or Allegra-D if you've got hayfever! The store brands (particularly Target) are just as good as the name brands. Kids meds, Dimetapp do their cold meds in a 1-dose strip that melts in the mouth. Arm & Hammer toothpaste, Orbit chewing gum, HALLOWEEN CANDY, baby items, lunch boxes, Carter's (from Target or a Carter's outlet) pajamas (under-5's)... The list is endless. I'm going for xmas and I can't wait!!

Shebeen Thu 01-Sep-11 13:12:11

You should definitely by large bottles of paracetamol (Acetaminophen in US) and Nurofen (Ibuprofen in US) - the bottles are usually good for a couple of years and are a lot cheaper than here. Also, if you have any kids who hate taking medicine , the kids brands of ibuprofen/nurofen and acetaminophen/paracetamol come in many more appealing flavors in the states. You can also get huge bottles of Tigi and other shampoos a lot cheaper. Would also agree with the recommendation about melatonin - is great as a sleep aid and you can't get it here.

Other practical things:

Fabric softener sheets (Bounce etc) - in large boxes and cheaper
Lint rolls - large rolls of sticky tape for removing hair and lint from clothes - larger and cheaper
Plasters/BandAIds - larger boxes and cheaper and more kids varieties

Marshalls & TJ Maxx - great bargains on loads of clothes, bags, shoes, housewares

You can also get really good quality bed linens a lot cheaper

Levis/NYDJ and others are cheaper and more variety

Hope this helps. Have a great time. smile

alemci Thu 01-Sep-11 13:17:02

I love Walgreens. The make up is good value and Essie nailvarnish. Anything is cheaper than here generally. Also things like dishcloths and tea towels.

Trouble is I can never browse for long as DH is always one step behind me.

CMOTdibbler Thu 01-Sep-11 13:20:53

Painkillers, sleeping tablets, ziploc bags, hairbands. And I always buy tights in Macys (make sure to take your passport as you can get 15% off as a non US resident)

mummytime Thu 01-Sep-11 13:36:30

If you use Aussie Shampoo, the smell is different (not as nice IMHO) but its the same stuff much cheaper for HUGE sizes.
My kids hated US medicines though (too much cinammon).

warmandwooly Thu 01-Sep-11 16:06:09

Ooh if you like Missoni they are collaborating with Target-not too sure when it hits stores but if you are there when it does and are a fan ...

chandellina Thu 01-Sep-11 18:26:57

my absolute fave product i import whenever i go or have vistors is Neutrogena ultra-sheer dry touch sunblock. Obviously not needed in the UK at the moment but it's the best in summer under makeup - truly is light and immediately absorbed and seems like no sun gets through at all.

i am also crazy about all the energy and protein bars. oh and someone mentioned M&Ms - there are tons of funky flavours now like pretzel, dark chocolate and coconut (not altogether). YUM!

mypatronusisaslug Thu 01-Sep-11 18:32:32

Reeses mini peanut butter cups is all you will need and yy to lifesavers. Also some nutter butters while you're at it.

<hungry>

Udderly Thu 01-Sep-11 21:54:03

Oooh, loads of good ideas! Thanks a mill! Will be going to outlets, must check out Target as I've never been!!

BleughCowWonders Thu 01-Sep-11 22:06:48

Target also do Boots stuff - look out esp for things like No 7 Protect and Perfect.
And they do a great Apricot scrub rip-off which is supposed to be facial, but I love as a (very thorough) body scrub.
I also like the copy-cat Aveeno stuff, especially the baby bath.

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 01-Sep-11 22:15:13

Large pots of Advil ibuprofen.
Huge boxes of plasters (band aids) for a bargain price
Tylenol/Advil cold and flu remedies - stronger than UK equivalent

Just grab a basket and have a browse...you'll be amazed what they sell. Love Wallgreen's and Duane Reade!

nickschick Thu 01-Sep-11 22:17:59

I want whitening strips <stamps feet>.

NatureAbhorsAHoover Thu 01-Sep-11 22:29:10

YES to bulk bottles of 200 painkillers (either paracetamol or nurofen as per above) and not having to faff with blister packs and constantly run out just when you need them grin

-Olay body moisturisers in big pump bottles that I LOVE as well... I stock up like mad on those.

-Also fibre gummies blush... lovely sugar-free soft jube sweetie thingies that are actually fibre supplements... they are everywhere, Target does v good own brand. They are sooo good. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now