Talk

Advanced search

please could someone help me with finding clothes that fit me??

(7 Posts)
sheepgomeep Thu 01-Sep-11 00:02:40

I'm really struggling to find nice clothes that dont cost the earth. I'm about 5 foot seven, overweight by a couple of stone with a biggish belly (c section belly overhang as well) I'm long waisted too which makes finding decent tops difficult and a size 14 bottoms and a size 16 in tops.

please help because I cant find anything. I went into primark and asda (yeah I know!) and its shit there and tescos is even worse. I live in trackies and leggings and even they dont fit me properly sad help, thank you

PerryCombover Thu 01-Sep-11 01:11:49

would this sort of thing look crap?
this?
some people like this type of thing

I think t shirts may do you no favours at all if you are feeling self conscious but that tunicy type idea might hide the pouch and be a bit longer.
Fundamentally though. A 14/16 isn't the end of the world in terms of size <even if you think so> and it will be trial and error to just try loads of bits on and see what looks best. Did you consider New Look? Peacocks? Matalan?
Ruthless searching might be the name of the game

Gillybobs Thu 01-Sep-11 09:35:11

I'd ditch the trackies immediately, they dont do anything for how you look or probably your self esteem either.

Get some decent looking dark blue or black jeans, New Look are great for non expensive denim. Then I'd get some tops that are not t-shirts, more "blouse" like tops, but they are very fashionable right now so dont panic! Agree Peaocks another good place to look for these. Like this which is just a bit smarter than a tshirt but not too dressy. These will just flatter your shape much more than t shirts and look smarter too. If you get some nice tops then add one or two nice little cardis in colours that match the tops. I always add a scarf to make me look like Ive made a bit of an effort too. You will get one in Peacocks for £5. And always ,always one little bit of jewellery either earrings or a little bracelet. New Look do tonnes of stuff like this for a few quid.

onelily Thu 01-Sep-11 10:13:28

I wasn't sure whether u needed shirts or dresses. So i have jst put down some nice tops for you..
i like the big bow
i absolutely love this one, very elegant and classy
the mint velvet one
and this one is my fav.. bought the same one

sheepgomeep Thu 01-Sep-11 11:21:21

This is great, thank you all. Some nice tops that youve all picked. Ive never had the confidence to wear a scarf though. How are you supposed to wear them [stupid question]

I hate heels though. I cant wear them as they are extremely painful (have footprobs).

Ive never thought of Matalan for clothes shopping, I did go here last night and only managed a look round the kids clothes. Tons better than george (and I work for asda!)

Gillybobs Thu 01-Sep-11 12:37:09

Lots of good "How to tie a scarf" tutorials on Youtube if you have a look.

You dont need to wear heels to look smart. Just dont wear scruffy trainers. I like decent Ballet Pumps with a good sole but if you lie more casual then converse type shoes work for a lot of people, as long as they are in good condition they look fine. Sorry to drone on but decent jeans, smart tops, a good smart jacket/shoes/bag/scarf and you are sorted. Good luck

SickOnMyShoulder Thu 01-Sep-11 13:39:11

kick flare jeans

boyfriend cardie

jumper dress

with leggings and black boots

spot scarf to wear with jeans and boyf cardie and white/black t-shirt

with your jeans and boyf cardie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now