Talk

Advanced search

Boots won't zip up!

(33 Posts)
YouDoTheMath Tue 30-Aug-11 22:10:16

I'm sure there will have been similar threads to this before so apologies in advance

Every year I endure misery in shoe shops all over town trying on boots only to find the zip won't do up much past my ankle. Both irritating and embarrassing.

I'm 5ft 6, and not fat. I guess my calf length is just...short...

Does anyone else have this problem? I just want a nice pair of boots like everyone else and I hope NOT to have to resort to the Shoe Tailor...

5GoMadOnAZ650 Tue 30-Aug-11 22:11:17

Have you tried Duo?

MissVerinder Tue 30-Aug-11 22:17:26

I also have that issue, but, to be honest it's just fat.

However, I did get a lovely pair of brown leather boots, knee length that I managed to zip up, from <whispers> Tesco

YouDoTheMath Tue 30-Aug-11 22:18:47

Well, I'm size 12 now, but had this problem when I was size 8, and I don't think that was fat.

MissVerinder Tue 30-Aug-11 22:21:04

I meant that I'm a bit on the curvy side, not that you are! Pleeeeeease don't think I did, I'm high from paint fumes!

Eeeeep.

Have you tried Clark's. They do W versions of boots. I've still got some I bought in 2005, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

What's so awful about Shoe Tailor, OP?!?!

BikeRunSki Tue 30-Aug-11 22:24:45

I have the same problem, but Duo boots always flap round my ankles if they fit on the calf.

I now have these Docs! in three colours. On the high street, Schuu sell them.

Clarks and Fat Face boots usually fit me too.

YouDoTheMath Tue 30-Aug-11 22:25:07

Don't worry Miss, just sulking because I want nice boots sad

5Go thanks for that, just gave them a look so might get a tape measure out tomorrow!

squeaver Tue 30-Aug-11 22:25:37

It's not (only) fat. I am size 8/10 and have big calves. It's the one area of your body that you cannot reduce with dieting.

Go to Duo. They're the best.

YouDoTheMath Tue 30-Aug-11 22:28:47

Meow will try Clarks. Something that will last years is the plan.

Never seen any nice designs from Shoe Tailor - maybe not looked hard enough.

tethersend Tue 30-Aug-11 22:31:13

I have this problem- but, like MissV my legs are just fat. Have always had thick legs.

I've just ordered these- they're the exact style I want, so they better be good grin

Other than that, try lying down and zipping boots up with your legs in the air.

RitaSkeeterNeedsANewJob Tue 30-Aug-11 22:33:45

M&S also have wide fit boots that do up over my chunky shapely calves

YouDoTheMath Tue 30-Aug-11 22:35:02

tethers they are really nice. Will you update this thread and let me know if they fit?

RitaSkeeterNeedsANewJob Tue 30-Aug-11 22:35:07

Or stretch boots?

TrillianAstra Tue 30-Aug-11 22:35:22

I have wide calves and thighs, my legs aren't short they are just wider than the rest of me. Proportionally I mean, they are not literally wider than my body.

Pull-on boots work OK, and I have a pair of zip-up ones from Next that are wide-fitting, I think they're supposed to be for wide feet but the calves come out wider too.

nancy75 Tue 30-Aug-11 22:37:17

probably best not to lie down with your legs in the air when trying on the boots in the shop grin

YouDoTheMath Tue 30-Aug-11 22:41:09

Does the lying down thing actually work though?!

Duo. It is the single shop I am the most grateful to MN for introducing me to.

blushingm Wed 31-Aug-11 21:35:43

i have the exact problem - i have little feet too and often they seem to make the calf bit narrower the smaller the foot sixe

i just ordered these i'm just hoping the do up!

Jenstar21 Wed 31-Aug-11 21:42:28

Another vote for the Doc Martens. I have proper rugby players legs, which although I'm curvy elsewhere, are solid muscle. They fit really well, and are so comfortable. I have them in black & red. Warning - they can be tight across the foot so I did have to go up a size....

mythical Thu 01-Sep-11 20:03:29

i'd check evans. i'm very difficult with calf fittings and i got a pair of over the knee boots from evans this summer in the sale for £10. they fit beautifully too.

neuroticmumof3 Thu 01-Sep-11 20:20:06

I was devastated this morning when I tried to put on my gorgeous Hobbs boots and couldn't quite do them up. I'm not huge but I have gone up to a 10/12 from an 8/10 this year. Gutted.

YouDoTheMath Thu 01-Sep-11 20:40:24

AAARRGGH I went to Clarks earlier to try on their wider (size E) and even they wouldn't do up blush

I'm missing something, my calves really don't look big to me!

Ah well, think in will stick to slouch boots. I've got a cheap pair from DP but let me know if any of you know of better ones which will last a few years, real leather etc.

Poodlehorse Fri 02-Sep-11 09:54:22

Size E is the foot width though isn't it, YDTM? There are only a couple of styles with wide calf and I just bought both as the proper wide calf one did up easy and the adjustable ones did up eventually but i am assured loosen off a bit. I have been known to get Tesco boots to fit if I size up, although this then involves a very thick sock!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now