Talk

Advanced search

Please help me with jeans

(41 Posts)
RupertTheBear Tue 30-Aug-11 08:44:43

I am after a new pair of jeans - I don't have a huge amount of money to spend but was thinking about getting some from Gap- they had 25% off this weekend. I live in my jeans - I have several pairs of skinnies and slim fit from H & M which fit fine as long as I wear a long top to cover my big bum. I tend to wear them with ballet pumps or long boots over.

(I am 5 ft 7, size 12 but a definite pear with large bum, hips and thighs)

Anyway - I really wanted a different shape of jeans because I have been seeing lots of nice shorter tops so thought something less tight might be more flattering and I could wear something that didn't come down to mid thigh.

I think I tried on every shape they had there but the only ones that I thought looked nice were the skinnies - and again I would need a long top. The bootcut type ones looked good but I am confused about shoes - what do you put on your feet in the winter?? I don't want to wear black ankle boots like I did last time around!

What shape of jeans do you wear, with a long or short top, and what on your feet??

Thanks

wildfig Tue 30-Aug-11 08:53:47

I have tried and tried to wear skinnies, but I can't, not with these thighs. So, unfashionable as it is, I wear bootcut jeans (Paige Hollywood Hill/Gap Curvy/Joe's Muse or Socialite) with a pair of chunky boots for daytime, and a good high pair of heels at night. Where I live, no one points at you for looking unfashionable. Thank God.

RupertTheBear Tue 30-Aug-11 08:58:32

What sort of chunky boots?? Ankle boots? I think I need a heel to wear bootcut but all my boots are flat. Do people still wear jeans trailing on the ground or should I go a bit shorter? Argh so confused!

I thought bootcut jeans were fashionable again?

Thanks for answering!

RupertTheBear Tue 30-Aug-11 18:01:00

Bumping for anyone who knows about these things?

talkingnonsense Tue 30-Aug-11 20:33:20

I wear wider jeans with converse type sneakers( not actual converse as feet too wide) or biker boots in the winter.

bigbadbarry Wed 31-Aug-11 09:03:07

bump - am interested too smile

HallnotOates Wed 31-Aug-11 09:04:13

Why are the skinnies so ubwearable with shorter tops? Why not buy some that fit?

HallnotOates Wed 31-Aug-11 09:05:03

They say monsoon jeans good for big arses. not gap. Or river island.

Malcontentinthemiddle Wed 31-Aug-11 09:06:27

Because then you'd be tightly fitted all the way down, which isn't a look everyone cares for?

OP I don't know, but I'm thinking about this too - can't wait for it to be cold enough to have skinnies tucked in boots, as I find that much the most comfortable!

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 31-Aug-11 09:06:56

I'd go for a wedge shortish boot for under bootcuts.

RupertTheBear Wed 31-Aug-11 09:12:33

Because the shape of the skinnies emphasizes my pear shape and looks awful unless covered to mid thigh. I was wondering whether something looser around the leg would balance it all out a bit.
Have never looked at Monsoon jeans- it's not somewhere I would have thought to go for jeans.

HallnotOates Wed 31-Aug-11 09:13:32

Skinny bootcut and some heeled loafers or ballet shoes. I don't get the issue

Malcontentinthemiddle Wed 31-Aug-11 09:18:57

I don't think it's being presented as an 'issue', Op is just asking what people wear with bootcut jeans!
WHich I'm never sure about either - ballet pumps don't look right (something about minimal foot covering + wide ankle, looks wrong....).

RupertTheBear Wed 31-Aug-11 09:25:36

Thanks Malcontent - When I used to wear bootcuts it was with black heeled ankle boots and really don't think I want those again!
Wedge boots sound good - if I got heeled ones then the gap jeans would be good because they were slightly too long with a flat shoe.
Thanks for all your help.
smile

HallnotOates Wed 31-Aug-11 09:27:17

Oh yes. No to mum
Boots.
Brown better.

bigbadbarry Wed 31-Aug-11 09:45:17

I think there are two issues: what to wear on one's feet if one goes back to bootcut, which rumour has it is becoming fashionable again; and where to go for jeans if one is large of rear

MrsPlesWearsAFez Wed 31-Aug-11 09:52:49

Once you've decided what footwear you're going to wear with them, you can decide what leg length to get (rather than it having to be the other way around)

Agree that brown boots look better with blue jeans.

noddyholder Wed 31-Aug-11 09:59:36

Tucking skinnies into boots is good balances an outfit and I think bum not an issue. I prefer black boots over jeans although wear both. Just go into gap or levi and try every pair! My sis has big bum and has some from tk maxx but not sure of brand

noddyholder Wed 31-Aug-11 10:00:48

Am surprised at all the brown boots with blue jeans a bit US tourist! Black more stylish ime unless boots are under.

WhyItsMeAgain Wed 31-Aug-11 10:07:08

Levi have a new range called 'Curve ID', which is designed for different body shapes. Would definitley recommend!

noddyholder Wed 31-Aug-11 10:07:45

yes no

HallnotOates Wed 31-Aug-11 10:12:09

i meant under

luxuryhamper Wed 31-Aug-11 10:13:34

i kind of like shoes like this with jeans, those linked are high but there are loads about atm

HallnotOates Wed 31-Aug-11 10:13:50

MUM BOOTS

noddyholder Wed 31-Aug-11 10:15:54

Oh god those! My mum wouldn't even wear them! Brown boots with skinnies is the uniform of fern britten and jane mcdonald etc when they are being 'groovy' Just say no!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now