Talk

Advanced search

No more mean girls

(108 Posts)
MrsCampbellBlack Mon 29-Aug-11 19:37:04

Is it just me or has S&B got really quite unpleasant over the past few weeks.

I love this section and happily post but I'd hate for people to be put off posting because of some really quite nasty comments.

Now I know I'm going to be told to bog off to nm but really - wouldn't it be nicer if it was a little less bitchy?

tethersend Mon 29-Aug-11 19:49:14

It's not just you. I was thinking if starting the same thread.

The gloves are off on the rest of MN, but this is where I come to calm down so I don't call people cunts.

Even though I hate cardigans, sometimes I need to find one for someone. All the hate must stop. At once.

BarbaraWoodlouse Mon 29-Aug-11 19:55:39

Saw a reference to this on the Doghouse thread and thought WTF, S&B is usually pretty friendly. Usually damages my wallet more than my self esteem. grin

I'm assuming the accessories thread kicked off? I only read the first few posts that just made me laugh. And I do like a good cardigan.

I think the only thing to do when things seem to going to hell in a handcart is just keep posting the usual trivial friendly stuff and hope all the nastiness goes away [PollyAnna]

I love S&B and just saw yesterday's thread as a joke tbh.

Clearly I am mean and horrible. sad I don't mean to be, sorry.

doglover Mon 29-Aug-11 20:01:01

I agree with the OP. This has always been such a helpful, understanding part of the forum and I'd hate to see it degenerate into a bitchfest. I've certainly become less keen to post recently.

TattyDevine Mon 29-Aug-11 20:01:13

Yeah I'm with you. Not talking about any thread in particular, yesterday's had been done before anyway not so long ago, I think by the same person?!? Might be wrong. Sue me. That poster is usually okay anyway, its banter more than venom I think, has raised a smirk in me (whilst then wearing whatever it is she's poking fun at when nothing else is clean or, god forbid, when other options are. Whatever!)

Generally, though, lets just go about our normal business. Don't be afraid to ask stuff, and don't be afraid to say, hey, that's out of order if someone is unnecessarily rude about your question. Carry on as usual!

Pagwatch Mon 29-Aug-11 20:05:37

I haven't noticed an overall deterioration.
And if you are talking about the shoes and cardigans thread, I thought that was a joke.
I thought it was quite funny. And I have a wardrobe filled with cardigans grin

Mn is generally odd during the holidays.

BarbaraWoodlouse Mon 29-Aug-11 20:11:07

Cardigans rule. But please, please nobody link to any nice cardigans on this thread. I am officially skinted out.

Pagwatch Mon 29-Aug-11 20:14:54

mwahahahahaha

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 29-Aug-11 20:16:25

Its not about the thread yesterday but over the course of a couple of days I read several comments that were just nasty.

Tatty - I do agree and I try to always say when I think someone has been mean.

And the problem with the tongue in cheek threads is that if you're someone who just posted a thread about say accesories for a dress and then thats the next thread - well its not going to make you feel great is it?

I started a thread ages ago about things that annoy me on s&b but it was more when you're told you can't wear something unless you have a model's height and figure or you get the shock face if something costs more than £7.50.

CeliaFate Mon 29-Aug-11 20:16:35

Totally agree. I felt sorry for the op who asked for help with accessorising a dress. It felt to me like a clique making fun of the new girl at school. If it was in response to a poster she knew well, or if the op was in on the joke, then fair enough, but it didn't read that way to me.

BarbaraWoodlouse Mon 29-Aug-11 20:16:48

Nice try Pagwatch but luckily that colour makes me look like the corpse I would indeed be if DH found out I'd spend £500 on a cardington. grin

Now if they have something in a nice soft grey....

gorgeous cardigan. Sorry but I think I am a bit in love.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 29-Aug-11 20:22:11

Oh I like both those cardigans - particularly the white co one . . .

animula Mon 29-Aug-11 20:38:39

I'd like this one even though it breaks many of my "rules" for cardigans.

Agree with MrsCB. I don't think it is about "the accessorise thread", which was jokey, and sending up tendencies we all know, and have all done. An inclusive parodying.

What I have noticed, and don't like, has been rather some of the snarkiness from other areas of mn (which shall not be here named <purses lips>) sneaking in. A sort of wilful balefulness, and pouring of a little acid and weedkiller on the grass, for no other purpose than to just rub the shine off other people's pleasure. Pointless. Unpleasant.

S and B is a lovely, delicious oasis. I have made a small vow to myself to throw myself down as a personal sandbag against any of that snarkiness seeping in here.

leobeebs Mon 29-Aug-11 20:47:24

Love the cardigan animula. Seen loads of people suggesting compier or whatever theyre called but the website is in french. How the hell do you order from them?
~Dont know if you should tell me though really

loolooskiptotheloo Mon 29-Aug-11 20:47:29

i need to know your rules animula (please)

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 29-Aug-11 20:49:40

Leobeebs - you can click on english in the top right hand corner but it doesn't have the e-boutique. So I just look at the french one and click randomly all the time convincing myself I speak french rather like when I watched Spiral wink

leobeebs Mon 29-Aug-11 20:56:44

I cant see it mrscb? Am I blind? How do you order then?

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 29-Aug-11 21:16:59

Oh you can't order - that would be way to easy smile You have to brave the empty shop which doesn't seem to have much stock and the very helpful staff to find what you want.

Or if you're in London - Selfridges has a good concession.

I don't enjoy the shopping experience in comptoir as they do that thing of not having mirrors in the fitting room so you have to step into the shop to look at yourself so the assistant can pounce and comment/help find more stuff to try on.

Whereabouts in Selfridges is it? Am going tomorrow and have never looked in Comptoir before but like LOTS of things. Is it fiendishly expensive?

Lainey1981 Mon 29-Aug-11 21:28:27

I was the op who posted about help accessorising a dress earlier today. Was a bit shock at my first response and was worried had posted in AIBU by mistake. Only my second ever thread in s&b (the first got no responses <sob>), and was almost scared away, but then some lovely posters came on and gave me some helpful suggestions.
I love the cardi animula linked to. I am a cardi whore, so sue me!

cyb Mon 29-Aug-11 21:30:24

I'm wracking my brains trying to recall if I've been nasty-I poo poo'ed some minging boots that someone wanted help with

I havent always got the strength to find ANOTHER shrug/heels combo for a wedding, so avoid those threads these days

Maryz Mon 29-Aug-11 21:32:39

I thought this thread was really funny, because HallnotOates started of by being sarky and then realised that she was't being very nice had a change of heart and was incredibly helpful grin.

'Twas funny to read.

I'm a lurker here, btw.

PerryCombover Mon 29-Aug-11 21:32:56

I'm frightened to post in case you all think I'm a man

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now