Talk

Advanced search

Magazine freebies - what have been your favourites?

(45 Posts)
warmandwooly Mon 29-Aug-11 15:47:55

Anya Hindmarch pouches come immediately to mind att few years ago.
Clinique minitures from Glamour this year- i got the moisture surge
Notebook with Anya Hindmarch drawing from Instyle.
Aspinal of London leather heart keyring-can't remeber who from.

Babyramone Mon 29-Aug-11 16:00:12

When Glamour first came out it came with a wee denim bag. Loved that bag.

TrillianAstra Mon 29-Aug-11 16:13:35

Glamour magazine does the best ones - I've had good BEnefit minatures as well as Clinique - when it was Clinique earlier this year I bought about 5 copies (there were 8 different things) and I've now bought the full-size version of a couple.

PinotsWolefCubs Mon 29-Aug-11 16:15:15

Agree about Glamour mag

BooBooGlass Mon 29-Aug-11 16:16:19

When Glamour do the BeneFit freebies. I didn't bother this year though as they were miniatures, in previous years I've had full size lip glosses and really good concealors.

warmandwooly Mon 29-Aug-11 16:57:23

I am a sucker for a free bag. I think the best one was the 9elia Birwell one from Elle. I got a nice grey nail polish from the most recent copy of Elle.

edam Mon 29-Aug-11 17:12:30

I'm still using a bag I got with Easy Living a couple of years ago.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 29-Aug-11 17:22:21

I also got the Aspinal leather heart keyring in bright red. Think it was Tatler.

Tatami-soled flip-flops, can't remember where from, but have been wearing them round the house for several years.

Gold Star by Matthew Williamson shoulder bag, don't remember the mag. Still use it about two years on.

Dark purple nail polish, Marie Claire I think.

Nails Inc nail polishes in various good colours, Glamour. Bought about four copies of that issue, I think. They cost £12.50 or something and the mag costs about £3. Bargain.

bucaneve Mon 29-Aug-11 17:49:44

Either this or last months Marie Clare was pretty good. A nice nude nail varnish and a miniature dove conditioner. Was extra happy as I'd bought it to read on the train when going away for the weekend and had hardly packed any toiletries.

BleughCowWonders Mon 29-Aug-11 18:12:44

Me too Edam (though I was a bit embarassed at the mag itself - made me feel distinctly middle-aged).

Used to love all the summer editions with a freebie on it, but I noticed far fewer this year. I also loved a silk scarf I got last year, although dd grabbed it off me, as she feels the cold more!

Also got all the Nails Inc last year when Boots did them free with 2 diet cokes. Best nail varnish I've found so far.

edam Mon 29-Aug-11 18:15:42

Oi, I used to write for Easy Living! grin Middle aged indeed (actually their editorial USP is that it's not a traditional 'we have a typical reader' magazine, it's for women of all ages. Admittedly, if you are in your 20s you probably do think it's a bit middle aged).

PinotsWolefCubs Mon 29-Aug-11 18:18:11

I quite like Easy Living <ups the cool factor>

BleughCowWonders Mon 29-Aug-11 18:18:27

blush I must have been all of about 40 something when the bag came out...
Do love Good Housekeeping though, and I swear I was born middle-aged...
So <<raspberries>> to Easy Living!

edam Mon 29-Aug-11 18:19:42

<raspberries> back!

EmLH Mon 29-Aug-11 18:29:20

My faves are an 'easy as pie' tea towel, which I think was Easy Living, and the loccitane Shea butter handcream. Smells so nice!

Love a good freebie!

CointreauVersial Mon 29-Aug-11 18:41:49

I bought Glamour just for the lovely beigey Nails Inc polish - in fact I have it on my toes right now.

Also had a great pot of Body Shop Mango Body Butter from (I think) Marie Claire - perfect for holidays.

I get rather sick of all the free bags, though; I use them to take my lunch to work until they eventually get ruined by spilt salad dressing/leaking soup then they go in the bin.

I heart Easy Living, though! <mid-40s and proud of it>

loolooskiptotheloo Mon 29-Aug-11 18:44:40

if you subscribe to a magazine and get it delivered, do you still get the freebies?

TrillianAstra Mon 29-Aug-11 18:53:43

Not usually.

MoreSenseThanMoney Mon 29-Aug-11 18:55:09

looloo - I'm a subscriber to Elle and I get the freebies when my copy is delivered. It does mean you don't get a choice of colour/style, though.

loolooskiptotheloo Mon 29-Aug-11 19:00:55

Thank you, will have to look into it.

posey Mon 29-Aug-11 19:01:44

My favourite freebie ever (and I am a huge sucker for a freebie so have had a lot in my time!) were some Kurt Geiger flip flops from Elle magazine. Must've been around 8 years ago and I bought 2 copies to get a bronze pair and a gorgeous metallic green. I wear them every summer, they are fab.

Also got Cath Kidston toiletry bag and make up bag from Easy Living and no end of toiletries and make up over the years. Like many of you I too get the Clinique stuff from Glamour.

Freebies definitely make me more likely to buy a magazine.

CointreauVersial Mon 29-Aug-11 19:04:35

Looloo - I used to subscribe to Marie Claire and was always sent the freebies, until about a year ago I had a letter saying they wouldn't be including them any more. sad

That wasn't the only reason I stopped subscribing, but it certainly was a factor (freebie is my favourite word)!

loolooskiptotheloo Mon 29-Aug-11 19:13:13

that's it, it's lovely to get freebies, i wouldn't want to miss out by subscribing (although i probably miss out anyway by not realising!)

TheCrackFox Mon 29-Aug-11 19:17:47

Those Kurt Geiger flip flops were brilliant, weren't they Posey? Mine eventually broke last year but were the best value freebies I have ever had.

BikeRunSki Mon 29-Aug-11 19:22:44

I got Letter of the Month in Easy Living once and won a whole lot of L'Occitane smellies.

Marie Claire used to quite often have vouchers for lipstick in, they were good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now