Talk

Advanced search

Will Bio Oil give me spots if I use it on my face?

(20 Posts)
MrsMeow Mon 29-Aug-11 15:37:23

I've had a bit of a bad time hormones wise over the last couple of years, and have gone on to the pill to try and get the spots I started getting, under control. It seems to be working so far, but I have a few small red scars on my chin and one on my cheek. I can hide them fine with foundation or powder, but they look awful when I have no make up on.

I've heard that Bio Oil is good at fading scars, but would it just make my skin oily and exacerbate the spots? I don't really want to go back to square one after finally getting it sorted.

greengirl87 Mon 29-Aug-11 15:42:19

i used it onmy face and it didnt give me spots, but that was abck when i wasnt prone to spots, i think if i used it now maybe it would. I know that there are other cream based products that are available if you google them im sure you'll find something

willybreeder Mon 29-Aug-11 16:15:14

Bio oil has some pore blocking ingrediants in it (think it's petroleum) which I didn't pay any attention to when I used it - I'm a beauty therapist so that was particularly stupid! I got lots of spots after a few uses and the only thing that helped clear them was a course of microdermabrasion. MD could help you with your scars, ask at your local salon.

willybreeder Mon 29-Aug-11 16:16:28

Bio oil has some pore blocking ingrediants in it (think it's petroleum) which I didn't pay any attention to when I used it - I'm a beauty therapist so that was particularly stupid! I got lots of spots after a few uses and the only thing that helped clear them was a course of microdermabrasion. MD could help you with your scars, ask at your local salon.

willybreeder Mon 29-Aug-11 16:35:09

Something else you could try is the oil cleansing meathod - google it smile

notnowImreading Mon 29-Aug-11 16:41:21

It gave me spots. I was washing it off with a hot cloth.

MrsMeow Tue 30-Aug-11 17:55:38

Thanks very much everyone, I'll give it a miss then. I have been taking vit E drops every day and theyve made a massive difference to my nails so I'm hoping they're doing my skin some good too smile

Willybreeder I've heard of the oil cleansing method, but have been too wary to put oil on my face, especially my chin! Will look into it though.

Pinot Tue 30-Aug-11 19:32:29

MrsMeow - the ocm threads on here have been great. The oil I use (jojoba) has definitely improved the texture of my skin and my old acne scars are less obvious. I'll find a link for you.

Pinot Tue 30-Aug-11 19:36:35

Here

Also here

MrsMeow Tue 30-Aug-11 20:51:15

Pinot - thank you for the links smile are you still doing it and using jojoba? I have weird skin, dry on cheeks and chin and oily on forehead and sides of nose. Weirdly, I get most of my spots on my chin and cheeks - the non oily parts!

I wonder if jojoba would be too much for me, and castor oil just sounds so heavy! I might try and find some almond oil and give it a go.

I love your tip about avocado oil on the chest! I've started getting fine lines where my boobs squish together when I lie on my side in bed (oh I sound like such a catch don't I?!) so will give that a go as well!

Pinot Tue 30-Aug-11 22:12:48

Ahh yes the booby crease. It's a winner smile I'm still using jojoba with a bit (20%) of castor and am loving it. My skin feels really clean afterwards and levelled out - I used to get dry cheeks so blusher would looks scaly sometimes <nice image> but now it's all smooth. I massage in for one complete song on the radio (so about 3mins) then apply a hot flannel and let that cool. That steams my pores and starts to move the gunk about. Then wipe away with the flannel, rinsing as and when. Sometimes my cheeks need a dab of jojoba on them to moisturise.

Sweet almond oil is a lovely choice (and also works great as an intensive hair treatment - bung on dry hair, wrap in a towel and leave for an hour or two then shampoo out to leave soft hair).

Cheapest place for oils I've found is Amazon. Cold pressed seems to be the buzz word, and organic.

Go forth and oil up smile It's a revelation, honestly!

MissVerinder Tue 30-Aug-11 22:23:36

I'll second the OCM, I've been using Olive Oil on it's own, and it's made such a difference.

MrsMeow Thu 01-Sep-11 22:24:43

Thanks loads for all the info smile I'm going to town tomorrow so will look there and on amazon as well for the oils. If they cure my booby crease as well, even better!!

FoofFighters Thu 01-Sep-11 22:38:41

Bio oil is full of mineral oil so it can lead to break-outs. I use palmer's cocoa butter solid on spot scars, works a treat in fading them. I've used it for years without any problems.

MrsMeow Thu 01-Sep-11 22:44:24

Thanks fooffighters (love your name!) I have some Palmers cocoa butter here, but the lotion. Is the solid better? My skin is the clearest it's been in ages so I'm really worried about trying anything new on it!

ariane5 Fri 02-Sep-11 08:01:38

I have recently broken out in really terrible spots all over my face and top of my chest and back and have just started using cetaphil products as they are meant to be really gentle and not strip the skin-maybe they would work for you? I have heard lots of good things about them so fingers crossed.

thestrawberrythief Fri 02-Sep-11 08:54:25

I cannot praise ocm enough, i'm into about week 3/4 and my oily t zone is really levelling out and pores on my nose are practically invisible.

I used liz earle before this and my whole face is so much smoother and generally softer. Try it, you may will go through a bit of a ugg phase but I think it's well worth it.

Currently using jojoba castor oil mix and massage in for about 7-10 minutes and then using rosehip oil to dab on crows feet etc. Rosehip oil is meant to be fantastic on eczema which is why i 'm using it, scars, sun spots etc.

Pinot Fri 02-Sep-11 10:03:18

strawberrythief - I think I've started an uggy phase. I've had a breakout - does it last long?

spooktrain Fri 02-Sep-11 14:25:44

I started the ocm about a month ago (but am fairly slack about doing it, ie not every night) but it is fab - I have an oil slick for a t zone and nasty open pores on my cheeks and it really seems to tame the grease and smooth out those pores.
I'm using cold pressed almond oil and finding that a little goes a long way - you don't need to slather it on

FoofFighters Sat 03-Sep-11 15:44:18

Thanks MrsMeow grin

No harm trying the cream, but it's possibly not as potent? Palmers also do a scar serum, I had good results with that on my legs so it could be good for spot scars too, but not as oily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now