Talk

Advanced search

Tights

(18 Posts)
LauraMercier Sun 28-Aug-11 19:31:14

I bought this grape coloured boden dress from ebay so I can't easily return - I really like it but the colour is much darker than I expected - I originally planned to wear it with black opaque tights for work but with black I look a bit gothic as it's all so dark. I'm totally useless putting colours together, would coloured or patterned tights work with it? I was thinking those knitted patterned type like white stuff always do, their colours tend to be mutted so maybe could work. Any advice appreciated as I don't want to waste loads of money on naff coloured tights that make me look 7.

Just to confirm, this is essentially a tights thread, not a dress thread grin

Ta!

cyb Sun 28-Aug-11 19:33:05

I woudl go for a bold colour, like a teal or a burnt orange

Primark usully have some very funky, good quality opaques. I always get my coloured ones form there

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 28-Aug-11 19:38:23

Or lacey ones perhaps?

I had some falke ones last year in charcoal that are lovely and still going strong. Although was most taken by the m&s control top ones [glamour]

LauraMercier Sun 28-Aug-11 19:39:34

Thanks Cyb - I hadn't thought of teal, I saw some pinky ones but I couldn't imagine it working (dark plum type pink) but teal could certainly work. I've recently lost quite a bit of weight so I've steered clear of anything bold for years so I need to get a bit of confidence to do it I think!

Black shoes ok with coloured tights and purple dress?

Gillybobs Sun 28-Aug-11 19:39:53

Charcoal or brown, depending on the colour of your shoes/boots

Grey lacey ones could work: I got some from Tie rack of all places the other day! Accessorise sometimes have nice lacey ones too.

LauraMercier Sun 28-Aug-11 19:42:43

I hadn't thought of grey either actually. Are falke expensive? I seem to have chunky thighs that burst through even the most high quality tights so I don't want to spend too much as they never last

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 28-Aug-11 19:44:09

I got mine in asos sale so were about £8 I think.

But m&s autograph are very good too.

pointydog Sun 28-Aug-11 19:45:33

Depends on the colour of your shoes. Bold tights with black shoes and black jewellery. Grey tights with grey shoes.

I have very few pairs of shoes so I'd need to go for one of those options.

LauraMercier Sun 28-Aug-11 19:45:34

I have some grey ones from last year - I'll go and try it on now to see if it works colour-wise.

The shoes I am most likely to wear will be black sequin (gawd they sound horrible like that but they're nice, I think) Jaeger (sale) ballet flats. Or maybe some black suede wedges. So black or black basically.

pointydog Sun 28-Aug-11 19:46:34

Your thighs rip tights shock

I can't imagine. You strong woman.

pointydog Sun 28-Aug-11 19:47:09

I like shiny black shoes with shiny black jewellery

LauraMercier Sun 28-Aug-11 19:48:14

Grey shoes with grey tights? I am so crap with colours - whenever I attempt putting anything other than black and something together I always look shit. Right, off to search for grey shoes to go with all my grey tights from last year.

LauraMercier Sun 28-Aug-11 19:48:54

Pointy - only when I'm in a mood - like the hulk

pointydog Sun 28-Aug-11 19:51:57

I happen to like different shades of grey plus some colour so I'd do grey tights/grey shoes in different shades.

grin @ hulk

LauraMercier Sun 28-Aug-11 20:12:40

Grey works! and a teal jumper I have looks good against the purple so two possible options.

While I'm looking for tights, I also have a black fine wool dress I ought in next a few years ago - I tried black tights but I look like a funeral director - I'm not brave enough for a bold colour with black - any safe suggestions to go with black?

Thanks!

LauraMercier Sun 28-Aug-11 20:14:10

Bought

I could also do grey with the black dress I suppose - is that a bit school uniform-ish?

Grey with a black dress sounds fine. Also, how about some of those quite sheer black tights with tiny polka dots on them? Not as severe as black opaques but not scary colours either! Black lace ones too, if the dress isn't too short for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now