Talk

Advanced search

What can I wear at 51 that is contemporary and stylish?

(13 Posts)
MrsRobertDuvall Sat 27-Aug-11 18:56:29

I have just gone through my wardrobe and am bored.
It's time to buy some new a/w clothes but I'm stuck.

I'm 6 feet tall, size 16 top (34e) and a 12- 14 bottom...have been going to the gym so am nearer a 12.
I have very long legs...35ins.
In winter I tend to wear tunics, skinny jeans, leggings with fitted boots, but fancy throwing caution to the wind a bit.
I haven't worn a skirt or dress for about 15 years...but I have good legs.
I fancy some brogues..have found some nice ones in a 9sad

Part of my job is doing presentations /workshops in schools so nothing too smart necessary.
What can I wear that won't make me look mutton dressed as lamb?

BranstonPickled Sun 28-Aug-11 01:54:26

I'm a couple of years older than you. I used to live in skinny jeans (even at work), but have recently attempted to smarten up a bit. I'm a completely different shape though - 5 foot 6 & size 12/14.

I now wear:
Good quality very slim leg trousers - either full or 7/8 length.
Good quality short jackets - Kaliko, Alex & Co or suchlike.
Good quality flat pumps or decent boots.
Fine knit snug fitting long t-shirts, longer than my jacket. Dottie P do decent long t-shirts.
I also bought a couple of nice cardigans (Barbara Speer) to jazz things up a bit.

I sometimes wear a longish skirt but I just can't get on with dresses - whether loose or fitted they just make me look like a sack of spuds
sad

Poshbaggirl Sun 28-Aug-11 03:32:33

I like Jigsaw <would buy the whole shop>

Gillybobs Sun 28-Aug-11 14:07:15

I'd suggest a nice knitted dress worn with knee high boots (either flat or heeled)

Also good quality jersey dresses (nice thick fabric) hang really well, again I wear these with boots.

Try Boden, M&S, Great Plains, Kew for good quality and not too expensive

TracyK Sun 28-Aug-11 14:09:38

Have a look at Mint Velvet - yummy stuff!

Gillybobs Sun 28-Aug-11 14:13:29

OH yes, Mint Velvet is another fave of mine. Nice knitwear and lush footwear. SHE magazine often do 25% off codes for MV

TracyK Sun 28-Aug-11 14:33:27

I'm still in a huff with them - only do footwear to a bloody 7!!!! But loving the lipstick coloured batwing top. Might have to give in!

Gillybobs Sun 28-Aug-11 15:54:38

Really? How stoooooopid!

ameliagrey Sun 28-Aug-11 15:59:34

gilly SHE mag is no more- last month was final issue - they have been closed down.

Collision Sun 28-Aug-11 15:59:57

I think LongTallSally might be your friend!

dress

trews

Gillybobs Sun 28-Aug-11 16:04:32

amelia I did read that somewhere now you mention it. Heck, no more MV codes sob Think I have seen someone on here say Woman and Home sometimes have them too

MrsRobertDuvall Mon 29-Aug-11 08:44:27

Thanks everyone...I am a Mint Velvet fan, and love greywink
I really struggle with LTS...it always looks better in the catalogue than it really is. Quality leaves a lot to be desired.
I'm in Chiltern ST next week so will pop in, and also go to Crispins and buy some brogues. And I am planning a day at Westfield when the dcs go back.

Shame about She magazine.

TracyK Mon 29-Aug-11 11:31:55

www.marksandspencer.com/Denier-Ditsy-Floral-Opaque-Tights/dp/B004FSXDF2?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_46&nodeId=341278031&sr=1-46&qid=1314613786#CustomerReviewsHeader

I like the look of these and some of the reviews say they are incredibly long!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now