Talk

Advanced search

Radley Bags

(18 Posts)
mrmistoffelees Fri 26-Aug-11 22:15:15

I am searching for a new bag and have noticed that I actually like a few Radley bags.

I used to think they were vile, with the twee applique pictures and little dog thing but I found quite a few yesterday that I actually really liked, probably more than the Modalu, All Saints and Ri2K bags I had been considering.

They seemed really nice quality, had lovely linings and quite plain. One was very similar to a Modalu tote I like, and no little dogs. I am very tempted to buy one (espacially as they were in an outlet store and priced between £49 and £120), I think the only reason I didn't is because they are Radley bags which I associate with middle aged women and my friend who has very different taste to me.

Has anyone else noticed there are actually some really nice Radley bags now? Or is this a sign I am getting old and mumsy?

gailpottertilsleyplatt Fri 26-Aug-11 23:27:42

You need to gain some self-confidence and then you will buy/wear what you like and not worry about other peoples opinion of you.

mrmistoffelees Sat 27-Aug-11 13:08:28

I don't lack confidence, was just quite surprised that nice, trendy radley bags exist. If I don't see any other bags I prefer I will buy one, although doubt I would have in my early 20s.

PotteringAlong Sat 27-Aug-11 13:12:03

I have a brown one that I've used every day for the last 2 years and not exactly treated it delicately! Apart from where a pen burst in the lining ( not Radleys fault!) which you can't see from outside it still looks great. P

mrmistoffelees Sat 27-Aug-11 13:22:49

Think I'll go have another look tomorrow. I'm trying to find one or two well made nice bags that will go with most outfits, rather than using different bags everyday.

callmemalcolm Sat 27-Aug-11 13:51:08

LINK to any passable ones

ChuckYouFarlie Sat 27-Aug-11 14:37:01

Yes please give us some links... I always thought they were hideola but am prepared to be open-minded smile

Nechy Sat 27-Aug-11 15:11:29

If you're going to buy one you should go for it this weekend - there's 20% off online and in the store for the bank holiday weekend.

mrmistoffelees Sat 27-Aug-11 20:08:20

I had a look online and can't find the bags I particularly liked. Thinking maybe they are last season seeing as they were in an outlet store.

I don't think I'd pay the normal price (even with 20%) off as that puts them close enough to the price of a few Marc by Marc Jacobs bags I like, and really don't want to spend that much!

I'll have a look and see if I can link to some similar bags.

mrmistoffelees Sat 27-Aug-11 20:42:31

Ok, this is similar to a couple of bags in the outlet store but they were a bit nicer and different colours, also the shoulder bags were between £50 and £90 so much cheaper.

Also think this and this are nice.

I can't find a Radley tote like the one I liked but it was similar to this but with nicer, wider straps.

The type of bag I think of with Radley is this which is awful.

groak Sat 27-Aug-11 20:48:23

I only use the very very very plain across the body radley bags, I have the very dark brown one. It gets treatly very badly, but because of teh colour it's marks and scratches mean its aging quite well. I take the little dogs off, I find them a bit twee, but i like the very simple shape and plain dark colours, and i found having across the body handbag is a godsend with young children because you aren't shrugging your shoulder up to keep a bag perched on it or trying to keep and bag in the crook of your arm, and you can immediately drop car keys in your bag etc and have both arms free to deal with dcs!

agree that the twee picture bags are a bit too statement things, tho...

mrmistoffelees Sat 27-Aug-11 20:49:39

This might have been one of the bags in the outlet store. Going to go tomorrow for another look.

Just wanted to know if Radley bags are generally good quality as otherwise there were a few other bags I liked.

I honestly don't think any of the bags I linked to are awful and I have seen Radley bags slated on here. I agree that for the full price you can buy some much nicer bags but for the price I'd be paying I'm not sure I could.

mrmistoffelees Sat 27-Aug-11 21:07:43

I love accross the body bags, great for when I'm out with dd and walking the dog. I have a few O.S.P Osprey bags which are ok.

I usually just buy Topshop, Oasis and other high street leather bags but want something that will hopefully last a bit longer and a bit smarter than my others.

groak Sat 27-Aug-11 21:14:15

The acrtoss the body bags i use a really really hard wearing, i never treat them nicely, throw them on floor, shove too much stuff in etc tec, would definately recommend them. I bought a tan one when dh and i got engaged (used a voucher for debenhams that was a nengagement gift!) and it lasted years, the zip bust after about 6 years (i used it daily) because i used to drag it too hard, and the corners had worn black becaue it was dumped on floor etc and so filthy, but the bag stood strong. On my second one now had it about two years and doing well, again, use it daily...

I found the dark brown looks nice with denim and smarter outfits / non denim too

hth's

mrmistoffelees Sat 27-Aug-11 21:36:04

Defintely might buy one tomorrow, the most expensive one I liked, which was a large tote was £110 which I think is quite cheap as the quality seemed to be good.

Think I'm going for a shoulder or tote bag as I already have lots of accross body bags and as dd starts school this term I'll not have to use them as much.

AlpinePony Sun 28-Aug-11 11:42:51

I bought a Radley in winter 2002 - it's still going strong and has been around the world. smile

AlpinePony Sun 28-Aug-11 11:44:09

Btw, 99% sure your link of 9pm last night was for "fake bags".

AlpinePony Sun 28-Aug-11 11:46:23

My apologies - not fake bags, just crap website! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now