Talk

Advanced search

I have three questions please

(25 Posts)

Any ideas on the three S&B questions that are currently dominating my tiny mind please?

1) Is there anywhere I can get a dress a bit like this bult in silk or cotton rather than polyester?
2) How would you waer this jacket if you didn't want to look like a sailor or Anne Widdecome?
3) Where can I get a nice big leather bag for teenage dd without spending a fortune?

Thank you. smile

Ugh - sorry about typos: was trying (and failing) to multi-task.

redllamayellowllama Fri 26-Aug-11 15:40:18

For question 1, I would head to Whistles - that looks a lot like their signature cut dress, which is normally silk, but about £150. Am sure they're due one of their 25% things - they've done them for the last two Septembers iirc.

talkingnonsense Fri 26-Aug-11 15:42:27

Try Brora for the dresses. And does teen dd need a leather bag, in which case try John Lewis or Boden, or would a fabric one do?

Thank you - Whistles dresses are gorgeous but tend to fit strangely on me: too big across the back and shoulders or not big enough on the norks. I will deffo have a look there though.

Do Brora dresses come up quite long? It's just that I'm a short-arse and can easily look frumpy!

Re the bag - it's for a gift and I'd like to get her one that will last a while. I could look in Cath Kidston too perhaps, for fabric ones.

talkingnonsense Fri 26-Aug-11 15:49:08

I'm 5'4 and have a Brora dress that is fab, just ordered two in the sale so fingers crossed! CK had lovely velvet messenger bags last year, and if you spent less on the bag you could pop some lovely little things in it? ( thinking lip salve, tissues, phone case etc)

Thank you. Love the idea of little things in the bag!

Gillybobs Fri 26-Aug-11 15:52:59

What's the budget for the leather bag? Zara and River Island often do really nice bags around £60 mark

Around sixty pounds sounds about right tbh. Have looked in Cath K but I don't think she'd like any of the prints. Will look at Zara and River Island now, thanks.

tethersend Fri 26-Aug-11 20:52:01

Zara plaited leather shopper- £80 and it's huuuge. I just got mine in tan and I bloody love it.

Here it is on some random celeb

tethersend Fri 26-Aug-11 20:52:29

Oh,a nd it had a shoulder strap too.

happilyeverafter Fri 26-Aug-11 21:00:33

I instantly thought of whistles too, love the boots the m&s model is wearing with the dress, can not zoom on her feet on ipad to figure out which they are.

Tethers that bag is gorgeous, looks much more expensive too! Is it current stock?

tethersend Fri 26-Aug-11 21:00:45

Dress 1

Dress 2

Nothing like you asked for but I think you'll like it

Dress 3

tethersend Fri 26-Aug-11 21:01:16

yy, bag is still on their website AFAIK

LOVE dress one but not the price! The bag looks good - how does it fasten though? She needs one with good, secure fastening and it looks like it just sits open on that pic.

I'm glad you're here - please will you answer Qu 2 as well? smile

talkingnonsense Fri 26-Aug-11 21:09:20

Like that bag, but at that size in leather is it v heavy? I am tres feeble and prefer big fabric bags so I can lift them. In secret I would like a rucksack

tethersend Fri 26-Aug-11 21:31:32

No fastening on the bag I'm afraid... Someone else on another thread was raving about an H&M one, might be worth a look?

I haven't found it too heavy talking, but I suppose it depends what you're used to.

I'm loving dress one too.

I have a blind spot with blazers unless they're part of a suit. I'm sorry. You may as well ask me how best to wear an astronaut suit grin

Will have a look at H&M - would never of thought of looking there.

You have disappointed me re the blazer - I thought you were the fount of all wisdom!

Oh and whilst you're here, just how SHOULD I wear this?

OF? OF? Meant 'have' - obviously (to be said in a Snape voice).

warmandwooly Sat 27-Aug-11 00:13:35

3. What about Topshop- they usually have some nice bags on their site. Does a satchel appeal at all? Cambridge satchel company have sopme nice ones on their site-not too sure about the price. What about ASOS? TK Maxx?

Topshop and TK Maxx both v good suggestions - thanks. A satchel WOULD appeal, especially if it was an Alexa I suspect! Not the Cambridge satchel company ones though as they are too stiff and look a bit 'plasticy' - she likes fairly squidgy bags, it seems. smile

DoubleDegreeStudent Sat 27-Aug-11 15:06:08

Are any of these banana republic bags any good? I have one and I love it - the leather is all slouchy and soft and wonderful. I have a complete hatred of all bags which don't zip up - they just frustrate me so much - and some BR ones are annoyingly open, but some close properly, and the website is good for showing how they fasten.

I've nearly broken my own zip rule for this on many occasions... sigh

Some lovely ones there, although most of them rather more than I can afford. Thank you - we're going for a day in London next week, so I'll have a look irl. You've also reminded me about Gap, so I'll have a browse on their site too.

There are some gorgeous tops on the Banana Republic site too - never would have thought of looking there, so thanks again. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now