Talk

Advanced search

How do you do the Hush/Wrap look without looking frumpy?

(24 Posts)
talkingnonsense Fri 26-Aug-11 15:27:05

I love the pictures in the catalogue, and it would suit my dog walking lifestyle, but do you have to be really thin or young? I'm 40, 5'4, and a 12/14, and when I try and do the cost layering texture thing it just looks wrong! Any advice?

callmemalcolm Fri 26-Aug-11 15:28:16

its shitty clothing
all women who tbh look like they need sectioning

talkingnonsense Fri 26-Aug-11 15:44:01

Ha! Perhaps I do smile. What's a good autumn look for going outside a lot then?

dolceebanana Fri 26-Aug-11 16:02:15

talkingnonsense...what items of clothing do you wear? And in your opinion, why does it look wrong? Does it make you look bulky?

dolceebanana Fri 26-Aug-11 16:08:37

talkingnonsense. This might help. The definitive guide

minipie Fri 26-Aug-11 16:11:30

You have to be tall IMO.

Which is why I can't do it.

<that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it>

talkingnonsense Fri 26-Aug-11 16:12:18

Oh, thank you dolcee. I think maybe my problem is I have boobs and a short neck, so scarves look wrong. I look ok in jeans and t shirts with a tank top over, and I like short skirts, tights and boots, but can't seem to get the top half right. It's too easy to end up looking mumsy in jeans and a fleece!

Vizzini Fri 26-Aug-11 16:35:51

Well I adore Hush clothing and own lots of it (obviously need sectioning)! I think the key is to ensure the 'lower' layers underneath are fitted so you're not adding bulk and I do tend to keep my bottom half pretty 'skinny' if my tops are layered (I wear skinny jeans/trousers 90% of the time or a denim mini).
I'd say long-length vests or tees in an array of neutral colours are a good buy. I like it when they are longer than my other top so they poke out from the bottom slightly as well as being visible at the top IYSWIM? I have a lot of 'grandad' style tops from Hush and leave the top buttons open to show the vest too. I also like 3/4 length tops over longer sleeved tops so there's another colour peeping out! I might stick on a long-line cardi too. I'm not adventurous with colour though - grey, White, beige, mushroom and khaki are my go-to colours!!!
I'm not particularly 'fashion obsessed' but I feel very comfortable dressed in this way and very put-together.
I'm 5'7" and size 10. I find Hush sizes on the big side and often size down.

talkingnonsense Fri 26-Aug-11 17:18:44

Ah to me Viz you are tall and thin so am sure you look fab. I'm always trying to lose weight but I can't get any taller smile

TracyK Fri 26-Aug-11 17:30:00

I love Wrap - but am 5' 10.
My friend is about your size and dresses the same way -though she just wears leggings on the bottom to not look too swamped - and not knee high boots - either ankle or mid calf - make your legs look longer. Or when not dog walking - a bit of a chunky wedge boot.

noddyholder Fri 26-Aug-11 17:34:47

You have to be skinny and at least 5'6

littlemissloud Fri 26-Aug-11 18:07:29

I'm 6'1 and love the layered look. Although it is somewhat of a necessity as often need that vest layer to hide the gap between tops and bottoms! I would echo previous posters on the need for your bottom layer to be very slim/fitted. You need this in order to avoid looking swamped and much larger than you are. I always think a little casual jewellery and some makeup helps keep this look away from the 'I've just got out of bed and thrown on the first things I've found' realm!! I favour the messy curly up do but I think nice smart hair looks good with this style (my own moptop just won't conform for me) grin

TracyK Fri 26-Aug-11 18:37:09

I'm glad to say - I looked through the catalogue and didn't see anything I liked - phew!
But I did get a couple of the kaftan summer tops and will be wearing them with layering underneath.

talkingnonsense Fri 26-Aug-11 18:49:29

Littlemiss, please tell me about your updo? I have wavy hair and would like a way to wear it up without looking like a mad drama teacher( as in high school musical). I do like mid calf biker type boots with shortish skirts, and am thinking of getting one of those stretchy type skirts this autumn- or am I too old?

talkingnonsense Fri 26-Aug-11 18:50:41

Any advice on a good look noddy, as I am stuck at 5'4 smile

Algorta Fri 26-Aug-11 20:01:21

I'm not sure being skinny helps with the Wrap look. I'm size 8-10 and 5'7 but look like Winnie the Witch in anything drapey,

Algorta Fri 26-Aug-11 20:02:08

or layered.

TracyK Fri 26-Aug-11 20:07:14

I think with drapey - you have to have something 'tight' on show. ie a tight body/vest with drapey cardy - or tight leggings and drapey top. Or drapey vest with a tighter cardi/fitted biker jacket say.

talkingnonsense Fri 26-Aug-11 21:02:33

Good point, Tracey. And I am a bit too big for anything too fitted. Algorta, I'm sure you look fab, but I guess you could layer more fitted/ or chunky things, rather than drapey things iyswim?

littlemissloud Sat 27-Aug-11 00:33:35

Talkingnonsense one of my fave ways to wear my hair up, which is very long and curly, is to take about a 1inch section of hair all the way round the front of my head and allow that to just hang while you put the rest of your hair up into a messy bun with some curls trailing out slightly. Then take the hair you've left hanging and take sections back to your bun and secure with grips. This allows you to create some movement at front so hair doesn't look scraped back, you can put a little height if you like, and also allows you to create loose tendrils at back of hair safe in the knowledge that the bulk of your hair is very securely tied up. This is key for me as I have tonnes of hair but like the loose, slightly messy look.

I would also say you can go for the skirts as long as you are relatively slim and don't go fir anything obscenely short. They are so easy to wear and really versatile. If you wanted to try it to see if it is for you they currently have some plain skirts in h&m for £3.99 in colours such as black, navy, grey etc. Then if you like it you could get a better quality one elsewhere. smile

TracyK Sat 27-Aug-11 17:53:36

Where abouts are you too big talkingnonsense? Could the layers 'hide' the big bits - or use shapewear as your bottom layer? I got a couple of nice coloured shapewear vest tops from M&S and they hold you in nicely under a looser cardi or jumper. Also can get shapewear leggings for sooking in legs!

talkingnonsense Sat 27-Aug-11 20:27:30

Thanks Tracey and littlemiss, I will try that hairdo, and try to get to h and m. Tracey, I am kind of shaped like a brick with arms and legs, so neither really pear shaped or apple shaped! I have boobs kind of plonked on the front so can easily look matronly. My fave look is short skirt, biker boots, tights, and t shirt with tank type top that hides my torso! also like rightish but not skinny ( look like an ice cream cone) jeans with loose vests ( my arms and legs are ok, though legs are short. Does that make sense?

talkingnonsense Sat 27-Aug-11 20:28:09

Wow that was long! Sorry wine taken!

TracyK Sat 27-Aug-11 21:52:31

You sound like my friend - though she has long legs.
I would avoid the tank top. You could try a long line/fitted waistcoat - show off your arms. I have a great one that has a kind of wavey bit down the front - so would draw the eye to the middle and down the way iykwim.
I got a phase eight silk dress with a ruffle neckline. Looks horrific on its own but with a waistcoat (middle button buttoned) covering most of it - it looks fab.The ruffle feminises (?) me as I am quite 'big' aka butch!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now