Talk

Advanced search

Need 40s style outfit, WWII stylee?

(15 Posts)
Curiousmama Thu 25-Aug-11 12:36:05

I'm going to a night out and it's at a gun battery. Outfit states vintage, some are going victorian? I thought it'd be good to go 40s style. Plus my budget is low at the moment as ds2's birthday, plus school clothes, days out, you get the picture?

Any ideas gratefully received smile TIA

tethersend Thu 25-Aug-11 12:41:36

What's your budget and size? Will look at vintage...

Have a look Here

Or you could go Land Girl and get a boiler suit and a headscarf...

Curiousmama Thu 25-Aug-11 12:50:33

Land girl's a great idea!! I'm 5 ft 8" and 14. Not really sure of budget but no more than £40. Probably be charity shops?

Curiousmama Thu 25-Aug-11 12:52:37

That didn't make sense grin I mean preferably under £40.

tethersend Thu 25-Aug-11 13:12:17

Get something like this, cut the sleeves at the elbow and turn them up, get a man's leather belt, wellies and a vintage head scarf; done! smile

tethersend Thu 25-Aug-11 13:13:02

Or get some beige/khaki dungarees and put a short sleeved blouse underneath

Curiousmama Thu 25-Aug-11 13:18:50

Excellent ideas thanks.

MummyAnnabella Thu 25-Aug-11 13:43:28

You need pearl Lowe for peacocks dress. New collection not out yet but check sale part of site in case any there. Then try eBay search. All 1940s style and under £45. I got a great dress there for a 40s party and have even been able to wear it again lots. Trust me on this.

Curiousmama Thu 25-Aug-11 13:48:47

Ok thanks will check that out too.

Curiousmama Thu 25-Aug-11 13:58:31

Well it seems I already have a dress similar to that? It's same style but bit shorter and floral. Would a fur jacket go? Hair may be a problem as I have a fringe, don't think they did in 40s did they?

bethelbeth Thu 25-Aug-11 15:24:23

Is your fringe long enough to put a bit of a curl into it? Like pincurls?

www.hair.becomegorgeous.com/professional_tips/rockabilly_and_pinup_girl_hairstyles-321.html picture of the redhead at the top is what I had in mind.

I'm not sure about floral print AND a fur coat. Is it a short or long?

John Lewis do tan fishnets also. If you don't own any they're the most flattering thing that you can wear on your legs.

Havingkittens Thu 25-Aug-11 17:23:57

Fringe is fine, just curl it under with tongs or sideways like the gransnet lady if it's long enough. There's a thread called "How do i get my 'air to stick up like" or similar in which I've described how to do a roller set for a 40s style hairdo. Might help. There are also links to a couple of youtube tutorials.

If you go on ebay and put ww2 or wwii or 40s dress in the search bar you will get lots of stuff come up. I do searches for those all the time as I like 40s style (in case you hadn't guessed!). I wouldn't go for a 40s inspired dress if it's shorter than knee length though.

Curiousmama Thu 25-Aug-11 18:46:03

Thanks. Will have to rethink as it is shorter than knee length.

Yes will do pin curls. Believe it or not I'm a hairstylist but hate doing my own hair. I remember having to do pin curls years ago when I worked in a salon. Some of the elderly ladies had them.

bethelbeth Thu 25-Aug-11 21:24:44

I am gutted you don't live near me Curiousmama. I need a decent vintage hairstylist in Scotland. sad

Curiousmama Fri 26-Aug-11 17:49:33

Have you tried going to an old fashioned salon? I thought vintage was 'in' now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now