Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Belts - how do I do them???

(22 Posts)
JosieRosie Thu 25-Aug-11 10:51:07

I'm an apple shape - 5 foot 8, size 14 with GG bust, toned legs and bum but gut is a big problem (literally!). I wear a lot of tunics and dresses with leggings but sometimes worry that I look a bit preggers shock I have seen on various fashionista type programs that using a belt can make your waist look smaller, gut look less substantial and generally make you look a bit more hourglass. Sounds good to me!

Where to begin? Thick belts or thin? Blend-in or contrast colour? Tie around waist or loosely around hips? I'm totally clueless here so all advice very gratefully received! TIA

JosieRosie Thu 25-Aug-11 10:52:11

Also, am skinflint budget-conscious so cheapo recommendations will be very well received wink

steamedtreaclesponge Thu 25-Aug-11 11:02:53

If you don't have a waist, you'll need to go for a wide belt (either leather or elastic), just under the bust. This tends to be the slimmest part of the torso on a lot of women, especially if you're apple-shaped, so wearing a belt there will be the most flattering solution. Not a blending colour - contrasting is best, especially in a darker colour than whatever you're wearing underneath. Very light belts won't have quite the same slimming effect.

If you have a bit of a big tummy, don't, whatever you do, wear a belt directly over it - you'll look like santa claus. Belts on the hips only really work if you're fairly slim of torso, plus they're not terribly fashionable at the moment (bit too hippy-dippy).

ShoutyBag Thu 25-Aug-11 11:06:55

biscuit

JosieRosie Thu 25-Aug-11 11:30:41

Why the biscuit Shoutybag??? hmm

ghostofstalbans Thu 25-Aug-11 11:32:48

i love wide belts and like this at the moment

la redoute also have lots of elasticated belts

minipie Thu 25-Aug-11 11:33:18

Agree you want a wide belt not a thin one. Just above the belly button, where your ribs end, is your "natural waist" so wear the belt there if you want to create a waist. Great over knitted/jersey dresses. Elastic belts can dig in a bit, so you want to shop around for one that doesn't (or a leather belt).

what's with the biscuit Shouty?

ghostofstalbans Thu 25-Aug-11 11:34:47

i have this one

JosieRosie Thu 25-Aug-11 11:38:32

Thanks steamed by the way! grin at Santa Claus!

JosieRosie Thu 25-Aug-11 12:04:09

Thanks everyone - who needs Gok Wan when there's you lot! grin

steamedtreaclesponge Thu 25-Aug-11 12:13:51

Not trying to say that you would look like santa claus, of course grin

<realises may have sounded rather offensive>

<hides>

JosieRosie Thu 25-Aug-11 12:15:27

Not offended at all! Think you're probably right wink

CointreauVersial Thu 25-Aug-11 14:30:28

This is useful stuff! I'm trying to get into belts at the moment, but still trying to shake off that age-old "mustn't reveal my figure, hide it, hide it" feeling, even though I'm a perfectly slim size 10.

I see a lot of skinny belts around too, any suggesions for those?

happilyeverafter Thu 25-Aug-11 14:44:33

I often wear a jersey dress with a long fine cardi over worn open and then the skinny belt fastened where the empire line of a dress would be. I think it depends on body shape, this is my narrowest point and also emphasizes my bust which can get lost in winter layers.

ShoutyBag Thu 25-Aug-11 17:48:34

err I have no idea Josie Rosie, I'm wondering if I have been hacked as I wasn't even on MN this morning or even in the house!!!

ShoutyBag Thu 25-Aug-11 18:39:24

ok, mystery solved. Am now going to have to change my name on here! My dd thought it would be funny to go on mn!

talkingnonsense Thu 25-Aug-11 18:49:08

Be careful, belting under the bust ( empire line) can make apple shapes look pregnant!

JosieRosie Fri 26-Aug-11 06:28:55

Well, this is what I thought talkingnonsense! I thought that belting that high up would leave all my gut to spill out. Anyone got any other ideas? confused

minipie Fri 26-Aug-11 10:33:13

Yep I personally don't like the belt-right-under-the-bust look for that reason. I recommend wearing the belt on your "natural waist" i.e. a little above your tummy button, just under the bottom of your ribs.

JosieRosie Fri 26-Aug-11 10:56:19

Ah, that makes more sense minipie - thanks!

happilyeverafter Fri 26-Aug-11 20:43:44

Ahh I am a hourglass not apple, belting lower down can make me look hippy. If unsure try it in different places and have a brutally honest friend handy.

talkingnonsense Fri 26-Aug-11 21:11:00

Yes good idea happily. I suit belts best on the hip but they feel too terribly dated at the mo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: