Talk

Advanced search

going out on saturday with my ultra-glam sister and her fabulous friends...

(26 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Wed 24-Aug-11 11:19:12

And in my wardrobe I have dresses that are appropriate for weddings, christenings and funerals. I have tunics that would be perfect for a meal out, I have a couple of fab silky tops that with a pair of jeans are perfect for an evening in a funky bar... But nothing to wear to bars then on to a club. I live in jeans and, while if I'm going out I try to look smart, I am not really a dressed up person. I only wear make up if going out and often forget to brush my hair.

Can I get away with a silk shift minidress with ultra high heels? Or jeans with silky top? I can't afford anything new (unless its like a fiver) I am 5ft2, longish legs and a size 8. Please help!

miche8 Wed 24-Aug-11 11:26:41

i think you could wear either of those ideas, i would go with the dress and pay extra attention to hair, nails and makeup, tanning.

Just an idea could you check them out on face book photos of previous nights and get an idea of what they wear and how much time was spent grooming? I did this recently when invited to a wedding reception of someone i didn't know....facebook photos led me to believe lots of fake tan, nails, eyelashes and very short dresses were needed...i upped the grooming but didn't have time for fake nails and lashes.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 24-Aug-11 11:32:57

They all work for the same high street uber-fashion store, so they are G.L.A.M all satin bustier dresses and skyscraper heels. Very TOWIE. I also have a v short playsuit which I could wear with black tights and waist belt. But that may be too much 33yo body next to mid-twenties nubility wink

miche8 Wed 24-Aug-11 11:36:19

perhaps you'll have a migraine on saturday grin or a few wine and you wont care

tethersend Wed 24-Aug-11 11:38:53

Go with the playsuit.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 24-Aug-11 11:46:08

Miche, I was debating cancelling, but its her birthday. I've had a pretty shitty week, so think some cocktails will be in order grin

Tethers, do you think? Its eye-wateringly short. But then, with thick enough tights I should be ok...

Jacksterbear Wed 24-Aug-11 11:49:32

Silk shift mini sounds good!

minipie Wed 24-Aug-11 12:18:43

I'd say silk shift mini too. And mega heels.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 24-Aug-11 13:00:41

Opaque or nude tights? I don't do bare legs!

callmemalcolm Wed 24-Aug-11 13:04:24

has anyone said jeans and " a nice top" yet?

minipie Wed 24-Aug-11 13:28:15

Nude. It's summer (in theory).

I would ordinarily say jeans and a nice top, but if they are all in corset dresses, you could feel frumpy in jeans.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 24-Aug-11 13:35:50

Minipie, that's what I figured. It'll be bad enough anyway!

OracleInaCoracle Wed 24-Aug-11 13:35:51

Minipie, that's what I figured. It'll be bad enough anyway!

coffeenut Wed 24-Aug-11 13:36:11

nude tights to a club? seriously?

the mini or the playsuit with some fake tan or bronzer on your legs. And very high heels.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 24-Aug-11 13:47:30

Nooo, I need some coverage. My legs are pretty good, but a tad too cellulitey to brave tightless.

coffeenut Wed 24-Aug-11 13:56:40

I would feel like an absolute frump in nude tights (sorry blush). Maybe wear the black tights then with the mini or playsuit (I actually quite like this idea w playsuit) and some extra high heels. I've just had a look at your profile pic and you are v pretty, I'm sure you will look great.

minipie Wed 24-Aug-11 14:01:34

You need those really really sheer nude tights. Like 7 denier.

vjg13 Wed 24-Aug-11 14:01:40

Which town/city are you going out in? Some places are more glam and dressed up than others.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 24-Aug-11 14:04:43

The playsuit is red and black floral, I wore it with bright red wedges and a red cinch belt for a hen do (nude tights) and it did look ace. However, not sure if I am brave enough to wear it the same way this time (weight is the same, but I do have body issues) and thank you blush

coffeenut Wed 24-Aug-11 14:18:14

Do you have black shoes and belt you could wear to tone it down? Maybe you could do the black tights with black wedges/heels and black belt.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 24-Aug-11 14:19:03

Its shrewsbury. Its an 80s theme club. Sis says she is weariing 80s style stuff, but if I try I look like I've not changed my wardrobe since the last time it was fashionable.

I have a black sequinned minidress/long vest.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 24-Aug-11 14:19:05

Its shrewsbury. Its an 80s theme club. Sis says she is weariing 80s style stuff, but if I try I look like I've not changed my wardrobe since the last time it was fashionable.

I have a black sequinned minidress/long vest.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 24-Aug-11 14:22:26

No black belt, but black patent shoeboots (that I've not worn yet)

tethersend Wed 24-Aug-11 14:34:41

If it's 80s, I'd do the playsuit with nude tights and red stilettos.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 24-Aug-11 14:47:06

No red stilettos, I have red wedges.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now