Talk

Advanced search

Ultimate mascara?

(21 Posts)
fegwood Wed 24-Aug-11 10:41:34

I was totally devoted to YSL False Lash Effect but the last two or three tubes I've had have been awful. the smell's changed; they've gone gloopy very quickly - no good.

I had a sample of a Chanel one which was very thin in consistency, I need bulk!

I wear it everyday because I'm fair and my eyelashes are invisible without so am willing to spend a fair bit on it if necessary...

MrsRobertDuvall Wed 24-Aug-11 11:17:42

Well I have just tried the new no 7 one-lash adapt- on the recommendation of someone on here...and it's fine.
I have used Lancome, Chanel, Clinique...and quite frankly, at £7 with the boots voucher, it's just as good.

minipie Wed 24-Aug-11 12:20:20

I saw someone applying the no 7 one in a bright pink tube the other day (on the train). It seemed to have a huge effect! might try it.

I love my Clinique High Impact but that doesn't give mega volume, it's more lengthening and separating.

JosieRosie Wed 24-Aug-11 13:45:48

I'm no expert but I'm happy with my No7 waterproof one

sparkle1977 Wed 24-Aug-11 13:46:40

I've recently been converted by the L'Oreal mascaras. First I tried the newest Lash Architect 4D one but it did tend to flake a bit and leave black specks under my eyes.

However now I am using the Volume Million one in the gold tube, utterly fantastic. Don't think I will be tempted to change anytime soon. grin

lostlady Wed 24-Aug-11 13:48:08

Lancome Hypnose: it's the best mascara

niniane Wed 24-Aug-11 13:55:44

I swear by Dior Blackout mascara. Good coverage and completely and utterly waterproof.

coffeenut Wed 24-Aug-11 13:58:38

I have been told the Dior one is incredible. Does it flake ninane?

NettoSuperstar Wed 24-Aug-11 14:00:44

Blinc but you need to get the primer too.

PrimaBallerina Wed 24-Aug-11 14:02:24

Max Factor 2000 Calorie is a classic for thick black lashes. I've also just used a sample of Clinique's High Impact Curling Mascara which looks flipping amazing on, very dramatic. Can't get the bloody stuff off at night though! I've heard good things about the Lancome one before but never really wanted to get addicted a to an expensive one so I put off trying it.

Watching your post with interest.

I love Clinique High Impact, or Lancome Definicils. Hypnose is good if you want bulk...
BUT!! I swear by the white base mascara first... either Clinique lash building primer or Lancome Cils Booster... Makes a huge difference. Both Lancome and Clinique have got gifts on at Boots too.... smile

sedgiebaby Wed 24-Aug-11 14:16:46

I love dramatic mascara too, I think I've tried all on here except blinc and the new No 7 which I understand you can return at the moment if you don't like it and my store has had no returns as yet - I hear you can layer as much as you like with no clumping. I have re purchased all the following and think they are all as good as each other to be honest:
L'oreal Voluminous
Max Factor False Lash effect
Lancome Hypnose (I've tried two versions doll eyes and another, both good)
For me they have to be build able and not transfer under the eye. I hated the dior show blackout one

coffeenut Wed 24-Aug-11 14:20:37

I liked false lash effect but I didn't love it. What did you hate about the Dior one sedgie?

lubeybooby Wed 24-Aug-11 14:29:06

Maybelline collossal (waterproof) and the new boots No7 one are my faves. I'm also quite fond of YSL false lash effect.

fegwood Wed 24-Aug-11 14:35:48

Seen billboards for that new No. 7 one - might give that a look! Our Boots is postage stamp sized, so I hope they have it else it'll be a Fun Trip To The City for all the family.

sedgiebaby Wed 24-Aug-11 14:42:11

coffee, if I added more than one coat my lashes stuck together so I had fewer thick ones! Like posh spice used to do hers if you recall (this look is not to my liking) the brush is quite thick bushy and 'gappy' once it dried out I found it nice for eyebrows so kept it for that! It might also have transferred under my eye, can't remember for sure but I think so.

I find with the Max factor one once lashes are dry, put an other full coat e.g. touching up make up for an evening and they look really luscious with no clumping . I've had comments; been asked what mascara I use/if I have false lashes with the l'oreal and max factor ones.

sedgiebaby Wed 24-Aug-11 14:46:00

oooh I just remembered I did really like Dior Iconic

niniane Thu 25-Aug-11 20:07:29

Coffee - I haven't found Blackout to flake. I can't really comment on what Sedgie says about the brush, I've never used it as I always use disposables with it.

YouDoTheMath Thu 25-Aug-11 20:13:35

Over the last few years I've not come across a better one than Max Factor Masterpiece Max. I've converted a few friends to it, including one who was devoted to YSL.

If I was going to splash the cash, I'd treat myself to Diorshow Blackout. However, IME the rate at which the expensive brands dry out really doesn't justify the cost, unless money is no object.

monkeysmama Thu 25-Aug-11 21:14:53

The By Terry mascara is brilliant - it's made my natural lashes far thicker after a few months use, it stays on all day, builds up well while staying soft on the lashes and comes off easily. I'd never use another now.

iamabadger Thu 25-Aug-11 22:32:29

L'Oreal volume million lashes is great. Also Chanel Inimitable. There's a lot of choice out there though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now