Talk

Advanced search

Do I brush DD's curly locks?

(19 Posts)
babyocho Wed 24-Aug-11 09:20:54

DD is 3 and has curly hair, mine is dead straight so not really sure what to do.

I brush it in the morning and it kind of goes frizzy. Should I stop brushing it (tangle teezer), or get a big tooth comb thing? Not really sure what to do.

I want to indulge the curls as it does look lovely when all curly.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 24-Aug-11 09:23:09

I would dampen it and gently comb it with a wide tooth comb. Curly hair is beautiful on little girls

hazeyjane Wed 24-Aug-11 09:24:24

Dd2 has very curly hair, and I won't let her near a hairbrush, since she got one stuck in her hair in a chemist - i had to buy the hairbrush and cut it out of her hair when we got homeblush

I wash it once a week, spray it with leave in conditioner, comb it with a wide tooth comb and that's it really. If it gets a tangle during the week, i spray some conditioner on it dry and tease it out with the comb (or bring out the scissors).

dubaipieeye Wed 24-Aug-11 09:27:06

Do a search on here for "The Curly Girl Method" and if you can spare a few quid get the book of the same name on amazon. It has a section on curly kids hair. Following the Curly Girl advice has transformed my hair!

Oh, and I'd say no to brushing - just run your fingers through it when it's wet/has conditioner in it. HTH.

Fo0ffyShmoofer Wed 24-Aug-11 09:28:27

I comb DDs with a wide tooth comb and spray first with water. Leave in conditioner or detangler can leave a residue. Once that's done I gently run fingers through from the underneath to encourage the curl.

paddypoopants Wed 24-Aug-11 09:29:24

Best way I've found is to fill a sprayer with water (like one you'd use for plants)- then after you've combed the hair give it a light spritz and scrunch the curls back in.

miche8 Wed 24-Aug-11 09:29:29

i know a relative sprays her little girls with a leave in conditioner and combs it every morning to stop the frizz....i do think her hair always looks wet/greasy though but wonder if thats when her dads done her hair. I think i'd be tempted to just dampen it and use a wide comb.

fluffles Wed 24-Aug-11 09:32:20

i would never brush it dry - i just comb mine through with conditioner when i'm washing it and that's it. no more brushing - if it looks a bit messy then spray with water or leave-in conditioner and use my fingers to tease any knots out.

fergoose Wed 24-Aug-11 11:26:32

my daughter has hair like this - we spray it with water with about 10% conditioner added before brushing gently or combing each morning and then leave it well alone

happilyeverafter Wed 24-Aug-11 11:30:14

Dd is curly, we wash it, brush it wet then leave it to dry. If she isn't having it washed I wet the brush through and run it through damp. Dry brushing gives her hair like hermione in first Harry potter!

mistlethrush Wed 24-Aug-11 11:33:20

Brush = crystal tips in my experience (mine's significantly 'wose' than Hermionie's from that pov).

Wide tooth comb is the only thing that goes near my hair - although at the moment, conditioning once a week and wet hands through hair in the morning is all its requiring.

My mother used to use a brush and a pair of scissors when I was 3.

peanutsmuggler Wed 24-Aug-11 12:16:40

I do the same as fergoose dollop of normal conditioner in a water spray bottle and just give the hair a spray each morning and get the knots out with a tangle teaser brush, her hair would look awful if i brushed it dry.

I find using a silcone free conditioner stops the build up on the hair so the hair doesn't look greasy.

aquavit Wed 24-Aug-11 12:29:53

SiL and I have an ongoing laugh about this as we both have straight-haired mothers who insisted (to our mortification) on brushing our very curly hair, and who now also insist on brushing dd's (also very curly). Happily she's too young to give a monkey's (I shall ban it when she isn't!).

Agree with other posters: def avoid brushing when dry. I think that the tangle teezer is brilliant and actually quite like some of the leave-in conditioner sprays, they don't seem to leave build-up on dd's hair in the same way that they do on mine.

hester Wed 24-Aug-11 12:32:52

Another straight-haired mother of a curly girl here. I comb through with a wide-toothed comb once a week, otherwise I just tease it through with my fingers to stop dreadlocks developing.

crazynanna Wed 24-Aug-11 12:34:55

Try this site,worked wonders for my girl's hairsmile

tightlycurly.com/welcome/

Fo0ffyShmoofer Wed 24-Aug-11 14:09:40

I must be the only one who hates the Tangle Teaser brush. It was useless and I returned it to Boots. Just awful.

mistlethrush Thu 25-Aug-11 09:50:08

I can't get a brush through mine.. and I break most combs - so I know what you mean FS

lisad123 Thu 25-Aug-11 09:55:18

TT doesn't work on dd2 curls either. I wash it twice a week, while in the bath put in conditioner, brush though (nitty gritty if also needed angry ) and then that's it. If it's school I plait it wet and dampen and re plait all week, if it's not, I dampen it down with water spray, and leave it.

YougreatPamplemousse Thu 25-Aug-11 10:01:03

DD1 had curly hair and we have to brush/comb it on a daily basis because of the way she sleeps. She wakes up with a matted bird's nest on the back of her head every morning. I spray it with detangler/water mix then use the tangle teaser to get out the knotty bits she then does a wet dog shake and it sort the rest out with my fingers. We stopped shampoo a couple of months ago and also started using a little moroccan oil when we wash it - the difference is amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now