Talk

Advanced search

Stretch marks on teenage dd

(11 Posts)
MrsRobertDuvall Wed 24-Aug-11 08:56:34

just noticed that dd (15 in 2 weeks) has got stretch marks on her buttocks.
She is 5 feet 10 and always been extremely skinny, but recently has filled out a bit, getting a more womanly shape, still only size 8-10 and weighs about7 stone.
Is the anything she can use to help them fade...I never had them. She is a bit distressed about them....she has OCD and was convinced she had leukaemia sad

BooBooGlass Wed 24-Aug-11 08:59:10

She can try Bio Oil or just keeping moisturised. But really stretchmarks are completely normal when you fill out as a teenager, and I would guess you are the exception rather than the rule if you've never had them. At 7 stone and 5 foot 10 I'd say she has a lot of filling out to do yet, so try not to make a big deal out of them. I know i hated mine, I got them on my hips, but they really do fade. I don't know a single person without stretch marks of some kind.

TheRealMBJ Wed 24-Aug-11 09:00:39

BioOil. Please reassure her that it is completely normal though. Most girls do get some form of stretch marks when they start taking on a more womanly shape.

Whysoserious Wed 24-Aug-11 09:03:11

I had the same when I was a teenager and so did a few of my friends. It's very common in girls during puberty - particularly thinner girls as their bodies change shape. Mine were so obvious and I felt really self conscious going swimming etc but they were only there for a few months and then two faded without me putting anything on them and I can't see them at all now.

Bio oil is supposed to be good but honestly they will fade in time and I bet she'll find lots of her friends have them too. Tell her not to worry because they will disappear

Whysoserious Wed 24-Aug-11 09:05:16

That should say THEY disappeared not TWO disappeared. They all did haha! It's just one of those annoying things about being a girl (in fact I also know boys that got them too but I'd say it's much more common in girls as their hips fill out)

fiorentina Wed 24-Aug-11 09:35:55

Bio oil is definitely worth a try. I've been using it during pregnancy and since my son was born 4 months ago and the stretchmarks have definitely faded. Even if it is psychological and they would have gone on their own, it's good enough for me.

FGM Wed 24-Aug-11 10:25:53

Hi MrsRD, may I suggest you visit a nutritionist- esp if you DD is veggie or not eating enough of a varied diet. Certain vits & minerals that help new tissue formation may be low when stretch marks occur. Zinc springs to mind as a mineral that's often low in vegetarians, for example, and that helps skin to cope with changes.
sorry I can't help more but I'm not an expert...

MrsRobertDuvall Wed 24-Aug-11 11:16:04

Thank you for all your replies.
Dd eats really well.....she is a bit obsessed with it through her OCD and costs me a fortune in fruit and veg!
She's read this thread and feels more reassured.
She has just come down in a pr of jeans she can't zip up...isn't it amazing how suddenly they change? So I shall have to go shopping with her now .....again!

lubeybooby Wed 24-Aug-11 11:20:30

Totally normal - my very tall (5ft 10) DD got horizontal stretchmarks around her hips and thighs when she shot up in height and filled out a little at the same time. She went from size 4 petite to size 8 tall (in dorothy perkins sizing) in the space of a year. About 18 months on and all the marks have faded now

Grumpla Wed 24-Aug-11 11:23:42

I got stretch marks all round my hips as a teen, they are still there (but very very faint!) however I got none whilst pregnant! I would just reassure her (as much as you can) that a) almost everyone gets these and b) although they don't disappear completely, they will go a lot paler in a couple of years and become almost invisible as a result.

MrsRobertDuvall Wed 24-Aug-11 11:25:15

Luby....dd is a size 8 tall in DP'S too.
inside leg 33 at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now