Talk

Advanced search

Shellac - does it wreck your nails?

(18 Posts)
peggyblackett Tue 23-Aug-11 07:08:46

I had gel nails years ago, and when I had them removed the nails underneath were thin and splitty. Not worth it IMO. However I have been hearing good things about Shellac - any experiences?

QuinnFabray Tue 23-Aug-11 07:29:51

No it doesn't wreck them, if anything it strengthens them. It soaks off, rather than having to to be filed off, like "old fashioned" gel.

gregssausageroll Tue 23-Aug-11 07:55:02

I am having a set done today and over the next couple of months for special ocassions coming up to I will let you know.

bertiecat Tue 23-Aug-11 07:59:56

I have had these nails done 3 times -- they are good and last much longer than normal but if they start to 'lift' off don't pull and pick them off as it brings the top layer of your nail with it and then they crack and flake making them weaker. You HAVE to soak them off with Acetone - at least that's what I used.

peggyblackett Tue 23-Aug-11 08:01:50

Sounds promising. I have
2 weddings and a ball to go to in the next few weeks so I will give them a whirl.

MissFoodie Tue 23-Aug-11 10:38:56

am I right in thinking that they DO NOT buff your nail before applying the base coat with Shellac?
has anyone tried Artistic Color Gloss?

SnapesOnAPlane Tue 23-Aug-11 11:01:03

They smooth the nail but don't overly buff it ime
I found shellac good for the first week - but I was v bored with the colour after that and te regrowth was quite noticeable.

louloubellamozzarella Tue 23-Aug-11 11:17:47

Love shellac - will have it again and again till something better comes along smile

You do have to soak it off but it takes 10 mins and literally falls off.

They don't buff your nail as there's no need - shellac is just really tough polish - not a false nail. They just prep your nail as with a standard manicure then add the polish in a minimum of four layers - clear/colour/clear/colour. You put your nails under a UV light for about 30 secs in between each layer to set.

Would defs recommend trying it.

MissFoodie Tue 23-Aug-11 11:22:16

thanks - with others they have to slightly buff nail before applying first coat (Gelish, etc), don't they - am I right in thinking Shellac is the only one that does not require this?

amistillsexy Tue 23-Aug-11 11:23:27

Shellac ruined my nails! I only had them done once, and I think the salon might have been at fault as they did buff before applying them, and then when they removed them, they soaked my nails but the shellac didn't come off cleanly, they had to scrape it with a metal hoofstick (set my teeth on edge!) and also file across the nail with an emery board. Within a week, every single nail had broken down to the quick and they are still breaking 4 months later!

BTW, I usually have quite good nails and hadn't used anything like nail varnish for 10 years prior to this (and that was only for my wedding!)

lorelilee Tue 23-Aug-11 12:54:51

IME, Shellac looks and lasts great, but is an absolute bugger to take off. I had mine sat in Acetone for nearly 15 minutes per hand and I then had to rub the flakes off and was left with dark patches on each nail. Never again.

MissFoodie Tue 23-Aug-11 13:51:37

lorelilee did they apply a base coat before the colour? and did they buff the nail?

QuinnFabray Tue 23-Aug-11 15:55:25

I do Gelac myself at home. I bought a cheap lamp, and the polish ( base, top coat and colours ) from eBay. I learned how to do it on youtube.

It's not rocket science, and pretty easy to do. I'm certainly no expert, and only do it on myself. It lasts about 10 days with no chipping, by which stage it starts to lift at the edge on a few nails. I soak it off in normal acetone nail polish remover, for 5 to 10 minutes, and it comes off easily with a wooden orange stick.

I very gently buff the nails when prepping, but it doesn't damage. them.

MissFoodie Tue 23-Aug-11 16:36:23

thanks Q, am thinking of doing my own with shellac also as my manicurist is moving to Dubai.....and I'm not spending £40 every 2 weeks on my nails....!

bertiecat Tue 23-Aug-11 18:26:24

£40 is steep! - I pay £20 for shellac nails -- 3 coats, base and top coat and uv lamp in between coats.

gregssausageroll Tue 23-Aug-11 19:05:12

I went to Nails Inc today and they charged £65! I nearly fell off my perch!

Anyway, the end result is good. Not convinced it will last the 3 weeks they say due to the dark colour I have gone for.

i am having Shellac done in 2.5 weeks time to compare.

I won't spend £65 on that again.

lorelilee Tue 23-Aug-11 19:52:04

MissFoodie - she didn't buff and, yes, she did apply a basecoat. It was a black polish though - do you think that's why it stained?

MissFoodie Thu 25-Aug-11 10:23:54

funnily enough, I was in a salon yesterday and they were telling me they have had clients come in with Shellac wrecked nails......
I have been using Cal gel but am thinking of switching to a hybrid, am now considering Artistic Colour Gloss, has anyone tried?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now