Talk

Advanced search

Help FROM LARGER LADIES PLEASE Dresses for a Heiffer?

(26 Posts)
HeifferunderConstruction Tue 23-Aug-11 00:01:17

I've lost weight recently (20lbs) but I'm still the same size :/
(20-22)
I'd like to get some dresses for occasions/nights out maybe even like casual ones

Things is I'm very paranoid I looked like a huge beached whale I anything above the knee
(I carry alot of my weight on thighs/legs)
I wounder how they would flatter, I'm 5'9 which doesnt help as they're even shorter on me.
I'm a 40GG , I'm early 20's
just wanting some idea's I am still in for the long haul waight loss wise but I know its not gonna be overnight lol.

Hope you're all okay smile

TeamEdward Tue 23-Aug-11 00:04:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeamEdward Tue 23-Aug-11 00:05:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeifferunderConstruction Tue 23-Aug-11 00:13:23

Thankyou I may goon on a v'neck hunt, I have a tendency to pop out of some I have lol becasue I bought them like 5 cup sizes ago lol and I'm a mum I dont want to to look 'tarty' if that makes sense?

HeifferunderConstruction Tue 23-Aug-11 00:13:42

*go on

HeifferunderConstruction Tue 23-Aug-11 17:28:14

just looked on evans site, not much there in the way of flattering

bishboschone Tue 23-Aug-11 17:59:23

have you looked on www.simplybe.co.uk...lots of dresses on there that could be good.

munstersmum Tue 23-Aug-11 18:02:37

Hi

Well done you smile
Monsoon on the high street go up to size 22. They also have regular sales !

tethersend Tue 23-Aug-11 18:15:13

Evans shite IMO.

Asos has some nice stuff at the moment:

Knit dress

Prom dress

Pleated skirt which you could wear with this top

SouthernFriedTofu Tue 23-Aug-11 18:20:43

Dorothy Perkins, Next and some of the Newlook stores have larger sizes too, and they will be more in your age range than EVans

booziefloozie Tue 23-Aug-11 18:28:39

I echo Simply Be. My sister-in-law who is a big girl was wearing this http://www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/product/details/show.action?pdLpUid=AX906&pdBoUid=4720&lpgUid=11148585#colour:NUDE,size: when she went out on Friday night and she looked beautiful in it. It actually looked nicer in real life than it did in the catalogue.

HeifferunderConstruction Tue 23-Aug-11 21:27:20

bishboschone -server not workin sad

I will look though

tethersend - didn't know ASOS did my size

booziefloozie - thats a nice dress

KatyS36 Tue 23-Aug-11 22:26:08

Have you thought about looking at Bravissimo? They go up to an 18 but accommodate large boob sizes. Something with a flared skirt can often hide bigger legs. BTW I've got several Bravissimo dresses but find the tops a bit low cut but solve this by putting a cami top/vest fitted underneath. I'm a DD/E and am in their smallest boob size dresses.

Would second Monsoon for bigger sizes, although I always wait for a sale there smile

Katy

KatyS36 Tue 23-Aug-11 22:29:22

PS Well done so far and good luck with the rest. I'm now down to a 14/16 after going up to a 20 post pregnancy. The next couple of sizes to me made a big difference, I now feel the bigger end of normal as opposed to 'way too big' (these are my opinions about me, I'm not trying to judge others)

YoungishBag Tue 23-Aug-11 22:32:48

Always wear a camisole under v neck dresses. I'm an 18/20 with 36j's and in summer I wear 3/4 leggings with a dress over and opaque tights plus dress in winter.

And no sacks of any sort, very fitted stretch jersey only.

Nice make-up, good accessories. Duo boots in winter up to the knee over tights.
I like Boden jersey dresses though they're probably too young for you, as you're so tall probably better With great tunics over leggings from lOng tall Sally.

YoungishBag Tue 23-Aug-11 22:34:00

Sorry, Boden too OLD for you grin

I agree with YoungishBag - you need fitted not sacks.

Buy some Spanx grin

I am shorter than you, and an 18. I wear good quality jersey or knitted dresses with a v-neck and/or wrap style. Tights or leggings and knee boots.

Resist the urge to fill the v-neck with over-large jewellery - you are too young to do that and I think it can make your boobs look even bigger and therefore make you look larger than you are. I'm a 36H and I'm v.careful with jewellery.

HeifferunderConstruction Wed 24-Aug-11 01:02:55

Thanks all good advice I have been buying things all with a waist band thing that you tie to try and create a sillhuoette with a waist lol

I often do the cami trick in everyday life I will if I have to with evening wear smile

Jaquelinehyde Wed 24-Aug-11 01:08:38

Some really lovely stuff here and if you have a quick google you can find some uk stockists if you don't want to ship from the US.

bishboschone Wed 24-Aug-11 03:00:20

Have just remembered next do plus sizes now.. I don't think there is a spe ial section but i remembere the pulll down size thing going to 28 on some things.My sister is a size 20 and really there is so little nice stuff on the high street ! Good luck

KristinaM Wed 24-Aug-11 07:08:14

Anothwr well done on thw weight loss

Remember a good fitting bra will take kilos off you.

KristinaM Wed 24-Aug-11 07:10:45

And you need a new user name. Curvy girls have enough people puting them down in real life without doing it themsleves [wags finger]

AlpinePony Wed 24-Aug-11 07:47:39

Aye aye kristina!

I'm another cami girl. Large of nork, short of stature and not prepared to wear my clothes slashed to the waist! ;) I mean really, what's that all about? Just because I've got a cleavage doesn't mean every making hour is spent propping it up on a bar a la bet Lynch.

I digress.

Anna scholz sale can be very good. Not the cheapest granted but quality and good finish.

Wallis are supposed to be pretty good for curves. Supermarkets best avoided I think - I'm looking at you Tesco. If I buy a size 18 dress, chances are I'm not a B-cup. On saying that, the gok WAN sainsvburys range might be worth a look at, he does love his hangers after all.

Given your shape you need to minimize your waist and go for bombshell! smile

Debs75 Wed 24-Aug-11 07:55:00

I got a maxi dress from evans which is lovely. it has a geometric pattern, sleeves and a v neck wrap style top. With a tummy shaper underneath it looked pretty good.

HeifferunderConstruction Mon 29-Aug-11 20:25:34

Haha Kristina ...I dont know I like it lol

I think..I',m hour glass :/ could be leaning pearshape I have one fat arse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now