Talk

Advanced search

How do I dress for my age?

(14 Posts)
pink4ever Mon 22-Aug-11 19:09:06

Am currently in the midst of a style crisis-not helped by the fact that am about 2 stone heavier than I would like to be!.
I am 35,5ft 6,size 14(Ok heading into 16 on the bottom but am working on it). An apple shape-horrendous belly and overhang with norks.
Things I like to wear-dresses(love tea dresses)
tunic with leggings and boots

Things I dont like-jeans. I will wear bootcut with tops/t-shirts but only on slobby days.
Hate skinny jeans so please dont recommend them so matter how well cut they are!

My dilemma is that am not sure where to shop anymore. Used to like new look,warehouse etc but feel am too old for their stuff now(its too short too!)
I love Monsoon but can only really afford their stuff in sale. Ditto Zara-lovely clothes but not for people with norks imo.

Where should I be shopping-help me!

EssentialFattyAcid Mon 22-Aug-11 19:13:32

white stuff do loads of tunics/leggings/boots stuff - what is your lifestyle?

tethersend Mon 22-Aug-11 19:52:47

I could show you the things I buy and you get the opposite? grin

I don't think you need to worry too much about 'dressing your age' at 35, TBH.

I'm liking Asos at the moment- dresses like this which would be good with tan knee boots; but not sure if you like that sort of thing.

nokissymum Mon 22-Aug-11 19:58:03

I know these are ordinary highstreet but what about wallis ? Their clothes are very stylish and the sizes generous. Failing that, dorothy perkins ?

Gillybobs Mon 22-Aug-11 20:08:38

I really like Great Plains, their stuff is still quite fashion forward but aimed more at 30s than 20s. I buy some stuff from Mint Velvet, Kookai, odd bit of Boden (plain knitwear and breton tops mostly, nothing "fun"), actually sometimes find the odd piece in Dorothy Perkins too. It's also worth keeping an eye on Limited Collection and Autograph at M&S.

I think Wallis is a dangerous place to shop at 35, I'm 38 and only very occasionally is there anything Id wear, it's really aimed at 40s and 50s imo

My key thing is to make sure my shoes and bag are always on trend (I love top shop for shoes, it's the only thing I can buy from there !!), then even if the rest of my outfit is a bit more classic I get away with it.

HTH

MrsRobertDuvall Mon 22-Aug-11 20:16:13

Lol at Wallis being a dangerous place to shop at 35!
I know what you mean. I am 51, and buy the odd top from there, but find it very polyester and cheap most of the time.
Nasty knitwear too.
When I was in my late 20s they did lovely things..fab coats too.

pink4ever Mon 22-Aug-11 20:33:50

tethers-I do actually like that dress<gasps> but am not sure about material? I like heavey jersey dresses as I tend to think they are more forgiving.

I am glad have been warned off Wallis as have been tempted by a couple of things in there lately and had to give myself a stern talking to!

I ideally would like to have a "look"-so that I stop wasting money on clothes that dont suit or wont wear for more than one season. Have tried the jeans/trousers/blazer thing-does nothing for me.

I am aiming for dress,tights(opaques,patterned or coloured) and either knee boots or funky shoes for autumn/winter. Yay or nay?

nokissymum Mon 22-Aug-11 21:19:41

tethers dont let anyone turn you off wallis, go in there and look round, i consider myself -- a trender setter-- pretty stylish, or so ive been told grin and have had quite a few good pieces from there over the yrs, the quality is not bad, not quite up to mark's but certainly beats dorothy! And the sizes are more generous, tailoring better too. The same people who turn their noses up at first will then come later and gush " oh where did you get that from ?".

tethersend Mon 22-Aug-11 21:21:03

This looks like a good staple.

Have a look at Debenhams too- Betty Jackson stuff is really good. Dress 1 Dress 2 Dress 3

Yay to dress and boots. Do you do heels?

tethersend Mon 22-Aug-11 21:21:39

Oh, I was turned of Wallis a looooooooooong time ago. Do you mean pink?

grin

cyb Mon 22-Aug-11 21:23:02

Have alook at the new Kew 159 range

I got the brochure through and quite liked it

PotPourri Mon 22-Aug-11 21:26:02

Next, and george at asda are ok.

nokissymum Mon 22-Aug-11 22:12:45

tethers ha!ha!ha! Yes it was for pink that was so funny. grin

pink4ever Tue 23-Aug-11 07:04:03

tethers-yes I do heels though I dont want crazily high for the school run!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now