Talk

Advanced search

Can I wear these trousers or are they just too silly?

(32 Posts)
BranstonPickled Mon 22-Aug-11 00:05:26

Not been on MN long and this is the first thread I've started.

I'm in my early fifties. I dress youngish - usually favour good quality skinny trousers, good jackets & boots. I occasionally dress in the Lagenlook style and I've seen these jeans/denim trousers on Ebay. I keep looking at them but I think I might get laughed at in the street if I wore them!
I would wear them with a long fitted top and short jacket (possibly black) and flat pumps.
I'm five foot six and size 12/14.

What do you ladies think - are they just too silly?
Tell me honestly please.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110724439832?var=410034055367&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

hellymelly Mon 22-Aug-11 00:08:28

Well I hate them,the numbers in particular,rather than the shape.But I am a firm believer in wearing whatever you like,its only my opinion,whereas yours is the one that matters.If you love them,buy them.
btw what is the lagenlook style?

snice Mon 22-Aug-11 00:10:54

Honestly?

Even reading what hellymelly wrote before i clicked your link-they're worse than I expected

Graciescotland Mon 22-Aug-11 00:11:35

They're awful, sorry.

BranstonPickled Mon 22-Aug-11 00:13:37

Hi hellymelly - lagenlook is the continental style of layering clothes. The clothes are often balloon shaped or very drapy.
I don't often dress in that style, just when the mood takes me.

(I fear that the dreaded waterfall cardigans may have originated with lagenlook)

hellymelly Mon 22-Aug-11 00:13:56

btw,if you like that sort of shape,you might like this company www.wall-london.com/?gclid=CLejpdvB4aoCFdNc4QodVS297A

FoundWanting Mon 22-Aug-11 00:14:25

Are you a children's entertainer?

AlwaysbeOpralFruitstome Mon 22-Aug-11 00:16:13

The black top on the mannequin is quite cute but the trousers? Oh my poor, poor eyes!

zookeeper Mon 22-Aug-11 00:17:00

Really really horrible

BranstonPickled Mon 22-Aug-11 00:18:53

FoundWanting - no, but that's what I was worried about!

I think they look good in the photo, whilst the model is standing still.
Reckon I'd look a prat popping out to the Coop wearing them though.

FoundWanting Mon 22-Aug-11 00:21:37

Yes. I think you probably would. grin

ShanaK Mon 22-Aug-11 00:25:24

Well if you are not sure & need the opinion of others, I think that in itself says it all! If I am ever uncertain of buying an item of clothing it's usually means I shouldn't buy it. And if you are worried about looking silly then I wouldn't buy them personally!

bishboschone Mon 22-Aug-11 09:00:19

lol@ childrens entertainer...p.s,,,did anyone clock the price?

polyhymnia Mon 22-Aug-11 09:17:40

No to the trousers - unique but not in a good way. Unless you would feel great in them, in which case it's a free country, etc.

On lagenlook, I'm sure it looks absolutely fine on you as a size 12/14, but have to say it is a pet hate of mine on large women (like myself). Can't really understand why it's even marketed to plus sizes, as it is in Northern Europe - perhaps with mistaken notion of covering multitude of sins, etc? But anyway the result IMO is always unflattering and like a ship in full sail.

fishie Mon 22-Aug-11 09:51:30

Jeepers they are hideous. I like a nice baggy dress but it has to be sleeveless and mid thigh with bare arms and legs.

cyb Mon 22-Aug-11 09:56:12

They look like they should have poppers in the crotch

DO NOT BUY

I like on trend/individual stuff as much as the next person but they are beyond hope.

milkysmum Mon 22-Aug-11 10:02:25

OMG yes just clocked the price £89.95- wow!!!!

enjoyingscience Mon 22-Aug-11 10:03:01

Stop. Hammertime.

Seriously though, they are not good. Probably very comfy, but there are nicer comfy trousers for a lot less money out there. Your usual style sounds very sophisticated, stick with that.

Stropperella Mon 22-Aug-11 10:11:03

A long time ago, I once had a pair of trousers not dissimilar to these (youthful folly). When I was wearing them, a complete stranger stopped me in the street and asked me if I worked in the circus (which was in town that week). Went off the trousers after that.

HenriettaFarthingay Mon 22-Aug-11 10:53:26

Sorry, but they're hideous. And cheap looking.

ZacharyQuack Mon 22-Aug-11 11:44:51

They'd be useful for shoplifting. You could fit six frozen turkeys and a bulk pack of loo paper down there.

cumbria81 Mon 22-Aug-11 11:48:36

Sorry, but I just physically snorted on looking at the photo. I'm guessing this is not your intended response?

BranstonPickled Mon 22-Aug-11 12:02:42

I won't buy them.

I actually thought they would look good worn with a black fitted jacket and flat pumps, but the MC Hammer effect hadn't escaped me.
I'd be the laughing stock of the village!

Thanks - pleased I came on here as I was tempted and they'd be a costly mistake.
They have now been deleted from my Ebay watch list.

A couple of years ago I bought a lagenlook coat of similar idiocy - all pointy hanging bits and appliques. I never dared to wear it and eventually flogged it on Ebay.

cyb Mon 22-Aug-11 12:04:34

lol @Zachary

BikeRunSki Mon 22-Aug-11 12:50:09

OK for under 16s or on a gap year in Bali. I don't think you're either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now