Talk

Advanced search

Curly Girl method, please can I have some quick reminders of which shampoo / conditioner can be used!

(25 Posts)
Chocamochalatte Sun 21-Aug-11 20:15:57

Im in a rut since doing this for a couple of years so would be really grateful if you could just remind me which products are good to use!

Thanks grin

Chocamochalatte Mon 22-Aug-11 08:04:25

Is nobody doing this now?? sad

bagelmonkey Mon 22-Aug-11 08:06:31

What is it?

JosieRosie Mon 22-Aug-11 12:36:18

Chocamochalatte, I can't belive no-one has replied! Thought there were loads of CG folks on here....I don't do it myself but if i rememeber correctly, some recommended products were:

Tresemme Naturals
Original Source conditioner (cheapo, available in Boots)
Aussie shampoo for your 'purifying' shampoo

When I first read about CG, I was told to use the cheapest conditioner you can get your hands on - one of those big litre bottles for a quid in Poundland, that sort of thing - and use that as your co-wash product. Less gunk than big brands apparently. Willing to be corrected on this though grin
Hope that helps!

CountBapula Mon 22-Aug-11 12:43:12

I'm doing low-poo rather than co-washing but my wavy hair has been much nicer and more manageable since I started using just Tresemme Naturals shampoo and conditioner and argan oil to style.

LeBJOF Mon 22-Aug-11 12:57:06

Original Source tea tree conditioner, boots curl creme?

bagelmonkey Mon 22-Aug-11 16:08:05

Please somebody explain!

flippineck Mon 22-Aug-11 20:32:32

bagelmonkey - quick overview here. Basically avoiding sulphates and silicones on your hair, good for wavy and curly types. That link makes it sound complicated but it's not. I mostly just use conditioner to wash my hair with, and then a different conditioner to condition it, iyswim, and then make sure that all styling products have no silicone or other non-water soluble ingredients.

Chocamochalatte - a lot of the Naked range are CG (though not all, so check ingredients!). I love the Naked Rescue conditioner, good for protein and moisture. I only use shampoo every few weeks, and usually use the Body Shop Rainforest one.

Watch out for the very cheap conditioners - sometimes they contain mineral oils (for example liquid parrafin) that can build up on your hair and not be easily removed with co-washing. Again, check ingredients.

Himalaya Mon 22-Aug-11 20:43:22

Can't remember about shampoo but Boots Curl Cream (pink stuff, big pot, super cheap) is the stuff for doing the 'plop method' or whatever it is called when you drop your wet curls onto the middle of a long sleeve t-shirt, squish them up and tie the sleeves around your head head.

esperance Mon 22-Aug-11 21:00:32

I mainly use Tresemme Naturals for COing (no shampoo for me).
If I feel like a bit of curly hair shopping, I check out the products threads on the forum of "Britishcurlies". I just purchased some Curly Junkies "Daily Fix". It always gets rave reviews.

LakeFlyPie Tue 23-Aug-11 00:16:30

For last year or so have been using OS tea tree conditioner to wash and Umberto Gianni gel (sorry, not totally sure that's what it's called) in bright pink tube.

Hair is definitely shinier and less frizzy and have saved an absolute fortune on hair products smile

flippineck Tue 23-Aug-11 08:59:40

I like the Original Source white pear and something conditioner more than the tea tree. Boots also do a pink one in the Esentials range that is nice, and fairly cheap!

I don't get on with the Boots pink curl creme though, I find that it dries my hair out too much (it has quite a high alcohol content) although I know that a lot of people do like it - and it's such a bargain too! I change gels quite often, currently using a Garnier one.

mistlethrush Tue 23-Aug-11 09:08:48

I saw the naked range recommended on another curlies thread and tried it and have moved over from Ausie... Mainly just use conditioner, occasionally wash, but certainly not each time.

JosieRosie Tue 23-Aug-11 09:51:21

Ooh yes esperance, the British Curlies website is fab for a bit of retail therapy! I always get a bit overwhelmed though, so tend to stick to the same products, mostly 'Curl Queen' and 'Curls in a Bottle', both liquid gels.
I like Original Source smells but HATE the design of the bottle - I have rubbish weak hands and I can't squeeze the cond out hard enough when it's more than half gone! Must look out for Naked range

flippineck Tue 23-Aug-11 09:54:01

Josie, I love Curl Queen for the smell alone! Sadly does nothing for my hair sad. But Curls In A Bottle is a staple, I find it does fab stuff for the frizz but I still need a bit of gel over the top for the hold.

henrythecat Tue 23-Aug-11 16:47:18

Instead of a T shirt for 'plopping', you can use a head towel turban. Getting hair permed on thurs so have purchased two today in anticipation (from the Poundshop - quite a bargain as they are £10 in Boots).

Original Source is £1 at Boots atm too and Tresemme Naturals is Buy 2 Get the Third Free in Tesco (so I bought 1 shampoo and 2 conditioner as will be low-pooing).

Chocamochalatte Tue 23-Aug-11 19:33:55

Omg! Last time I looked there were no replies and I was disappointed !!

I currently use Alberto Balsam Pomegranate, as a change from Original Source, did use Inecto Coconut Oil Conditioner which wad good but now can't find it... To style am using Pure Argan Oil or Boots Curls Cream...

shuckleberryfinn Tue 23-Aug-11 19:37:31

I have curly hair, never heard of this but my hairdresser doesnt condition my hair at all. So I stopped too. My hair is lovely! (mind I only wash once a week)

Chocamochalatte Tue 23-Aug-11 19:40:37

Naked range I can only buy when on offer!

Didn't realise Tresemme naturals were ok... My Tesco's doesnt stock Original Source bizarrely although know they do Tresemme so will be looking out for deals smile

Chocamochalatte Tue 23-Aug-11 19:43:16

SBF - if you don't condition is your hair not really knotty?? I only comb my hair in the shower with conditioner on, if it wasn't conditioned then nothing would go through it and it would get 'matted'...

mistlethrush Tue 23-Aug-11 21:15:45

I condition mine once a week but don't wash that often grin

Which is why I can afford the naked conditioners!

I can't not condition though - and normally use Paul Mitchel super sculpt to define curls a bit - although some of the naked range seem to e OK.

flippineck Tue 23-Aug-11 21:46:17

If you're quick and order tonight you can get 50% off everything on the Naked website, use the code face50 apparently. I've not tested the code, and apparently it expires today, but might be worth a shot? www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/. Otherwise, the Naked range is on 2 for £6 in Boots at the moment.

fegwood Wed 24-Aug-11 10:50:22

The 50% Naked code worked for me on Sunday - got 10 things for £23!

Some of the Morrison's own brand Fruits conditioners are CG - I like the blue one. Aussie is on offer in Boots at the moment I think, Miracle Moist is lovely.

As for products I have tried loads and always come back to Naked Curl Cream and Umberto Gianni Scrunching Jelly.

LakeFlyPie Wed 24-Aug-11 15:26:37

JosieRosie know what you mean about squeezing the OS bottles and I've got quite strong hands.
I dilute the conditioner by half and find it coats my hair better, is much easier to get out of the bottle and lasts twice as long smile

Thanks for the Naked code flippineck, am supposed to be on an economy drive ATM and nearly filled my basket but then realised I wouldn't be making that much of a saving after the £4 delivery charge.
Haven't used the Naked brand before so thought I'd seek some recommendations first.
Which of their curly products are best do you reckon?
Thought I'd probably get some of their range for DC too.

shuckleberryfinn Fri 26-Aug-11 20:29:34

chocca, sorry I just saw this. I comb it with my fingers most of the time and only wash about once a week. It combs through ok this way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now