Talk

Advanced search

Feeling fed up at autumn clothes so far....

(25 Posts)
ameliagrey Sun 21-Aug-11 17:49:44

I have no clothes for autumn, except some skinnyish jeans and a pair of Boden velvet skinny jeans. Quite a few tops but all on same theme of T shirt/ camils and nice cardis. (THis is all for smart casual as I work from home anyway.)

My staple shops- Boden, Kew, Jigsaw, White Company, Mint Velvet have nothing I like so far. I have ordered masses and sent all back.

I am 50s, but am small size 8-10, and told often, I look much younger- early 40s- so I think my "dress age" is early- mid 40s if that makes sense.

What's everyone going to wear? I fancy a couple of nice tunics to wear with leggings and riding boots, a short skirt ( I have good legs, and I do have my eye on a Boden leather mini which will come to my knee) and a nice dress that isn't too smart- just nice for a drink , or casual lunch/dinner.

I am not keen on Phase 8, though they are just possible sometimes, and like slightly unusual things.

Please tell me where else to look ( and don;t say White Stuff or I shall scream.)

ameliagrey Sun 21-Aug-11 18:11:57

what does anyone think of this

www.bodenpreview.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Tunics-Kaftans/WL625/Womens-Silk-Flower-Tunic.html

quite like it but can't help think it should be £39 not £89.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 21-Aug-11 18:33:10

Wouldn't those enormous flowers drive you potty, though? Even if you were looking at the ceiling you'd still see them, they're that big.

Gillybobs Sun 21-Aug-11 18:35:17

I think its a bit Per Una-esque.

Gillybobs Sun 21-Aug-11 18:38:20

I know your not keen on phase 8 but I think this is lovely in the grey or red. Very very wearable

merryberry Sun 21-Aug-11 18:42:40

anything at Wrap float your boat?

ameliagrey Sun 21-Aug-11 18:55:05

The Phase 8 tunic is quite nice yes. smile I do like Wrap and an waiting for a catalogue as i find the pics online really tricky to see what's what.

I love their velvet tunic but it's £££s and I also like things a bit more fitted as I am petite.
Maybeit's just a bit to soon and all the nice stuff is still to come.

I would just like a slightly more girly top etc to wear with jeans for evenings, rather than cardis.

Maybe Mint velvet will come up with something later.

brookeslay Sun 21-Aug-11 19:16:51

APC, J.Crew, See Chloe, Maxmara weekend, Zara and Whistles shop.nordstrom.com/here do uk Delivery

Some Fenn Wright Mason pieces mixed with funky bits from Warehouse I`ve seen there autumn stuff some interesting pieces.

Great Plains is also good.

pointydog Sun 21-Aug-11 19:26:42

I like a few things in the Great Plains catalogue. Might be worth a gander.

pointydog Sun 21-Aug-11 19:29:05

I thought this top was nice.

Don't like that Boden tunic thing at all, sorry.

Somebody posted a link to Kew earlier and, whilst I normally don't like them (and their dresses come up way too long for me) there looked to be a couple of nice things.

Warehouse had a few nice things. I saw a promising looking burgundy silk dress there, although the neckline looked a bit too high for me: need to try it on as it could be good or could be awful.

For 'short' skirts I just tend to have Gap denim mini-ish ones.

pointydog Sun 21-Aug-11 19:35:48

Yes, boden tunic overpriced. And I don't like tunics.

www.warehouse.co.uk/silk-bird-print-dress/Dresses/warehouse/fcp-product/305853

Another lovely dress

ameliagrey Mon 22-Aug-11 08:44:06

Most Warehouse dresses are far too short for me; mutton as lamb comes to mind!

I like just above the knee or mid-knee length.

DilysPrice Mon 22-Aug-11 08:55:54

Seconded Amelia, it's infuriating because Warehouse have got some excellent dresses in at the moment, but they're always really short.

legalalien Mon 22-Aug-11 09:17:20

OK - third time lucky - my PC keeps crashing. What about

this? some of the other things on the site are quite expensive, so surf carefully (good bargains in sale though, although the trenchcoat I like is only available in size 14)

Wigglesmummy Mon 22-Aug-11 21:27:11

Just bought an Isabella Oliver denim mini which while basic looks great on. Offer code STYLE20 got about 25% off so made it more affordable. Have a try there for something different from usual? I'm normally a knee length girl too but have found that the right cut mini looks great (couldn't possibly work out what makes some cuts 'right' and others not - just like great art).

pamplemousserose Mon 22-Aug-11 21:28:46

I'm already fed up of maroon, mustard and brown.

Amelia - I'm a short-arse so they are a good length for me!

Does anybody actually look nice in mustard btw?

polyhymnia Mon 22-Aug-11 22:44:02

Have some Boden tunics I've really liked but not that flowery one. Way OTT. I' m a Wrap fan tho they are pricy. Have you looked at White Company?

polyhymnia Mon 22-Aug-11 22:48:58

PS Sorry you did say you'd looked at White Company. Do you like the Boden skinny velvet jeans btw? Thinking of ordering.

ameliagrey Tue 23-Aug-11 08:21:32

poly yes I liked the velvet jeans; actually, I returned them then had second thoughts and asked them to send back out- lol- still with preview 20% off.
I felt they were a tiny bit tight round waist but that's my shape sad
I am a 10, but my waist is more like a 12, but my hips are 35" and my bum is flatish. I usually find Boden trousers and skirts generous around the hips, but the waists are small-ish.
The velvet jeans are a nice material- quite silky velvet- about an inch or more too long for me, so will need to shorten.

Yes, I like White Company - ordered several tunics and a couple of dresses but sending all back sad The tunic I wanted is sold out already, and the others made me look PG.

Waiting for Wrap catalogue- wish they had a shop - assume the studio in Kings Road is not open as a shop?

blueskydrinking Wed 24-Aug-11 14:01:40

My wardrobe is pretty similar to yours, and you've got me thinking about denim skirts now!

What about www.hush-uk.com - I always find something on there which I like. They've got a pre-order 10% discount at the moment as well (tells you the code on the home page).

I like crew clothing as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now