Talk

Advanced search

Another failed jeans hunt - help!

(23 Posts)
noarguments Sun 21-Aug-11 13:55:15

Just been into town to replace my worn out jeans. I've always struggled to find something that fits, mostly because I have no patience at all and I hate shopping! (Yes, I know that is very strange to many). And I'm not interested if they're not comfy (middled aged and frumpy - moi?)
I have a reasonably sized waist (12) but larger thighs and bum. Jeans I try on either cannot even get past my thighs, or gap wildly at the back. I always come back bad tempered and miserable.
Where should I go? Per Una bootlegs were OK, but even those weren't right today when I tried.
Is there anywhere where someone will measure you and go and find you the right pair from the rails?
I think I'd even pay to have some made for me if needed.

Any ideas anyone? TIA.

foxinsocks Sun 21-Aug-11 13:59:16

I hate shopping too. And I have short legs which doesn't help.

I have always gone for £12 jeans from m and s or sainsburys (mainly because they do short legs) but for my birthday, someone treated me to a pair of jeans from Levis. They were expensive, like £80 and I would never spend something like that on clothes but one of the store people went and got loads of styles and shapes and I chose the ones I liked the most. And they look fab!

Only problem now is I don't want to wear them like jeans as they cost so much wink

Probably a good place to go is a department store which has loads of different styles!

motherinferior Sun 21-Aug-11 14:01:28

Foxy - wear the jeans. Wear them and preen.

Uniqlo has its moments. But I'm also thinking of getting some actually altered next time I buy a pair - to prevent the gapping.

gastrognome Sun 21-Aug-11 14:12:02

Have you tried any of the "designer" brands such as 7 for all Mankind, Citizens of Humanity, etc.? They may be more expensive but they fit SO much better, and tend to be much better made than the lower price high-street brands. I get so much wear out of mine that they have always worked out to be a good investment in the end.

I used to scoff at people who shelled out for "posh" jeans... until I was given a pair of 7s and realised there was no going back!

RichTeaAreCrap Sun 21-Aug-11 14:34:07

I agree with gastrofnome, the designer jeans are so much better. Mine pay for themselves with the amount of times I wear them.

I wear 7 for all Mankind and Paige - both fit brilliantly and convinced me never to buy cheaper jeans again. Of the two, Paige are probably my favourite.

I used to be shocked at the amount of money some people spent on designer jeans, but as soon as I bought some as a treat I understood exactly why they cost a lot more. Its worth trying a few pairs on. TK Max sometimes have them cheaper too.

miche8 Sun 21-Aug-11 14:53:02

i agree once you've had decent jeans theres no going back, have been wearing levis for a while and last week tried a new look pair just wanted a cheap black pair, the fit was terrible will have to visit the levis store again, if you go try on loads of the curve jeans, my first pair was one curve type (can't remember which) looked great and fairly comfy recently i returned to get another pair and got a different curve type and omg so so comfy and they look good, also got a soft slim fitting pair.

noarguments Sun 21-Aug-11 16:16:19

OK, posh jeans it is then, will make my eyes water to spend proper money on jeans, but it sounds like it will be worth it.

TracyK Sun 21-Aug-11 16:47:46

Do any of the designer jeans go up to a 16?
I've almost given up on jeans - they just aren't flattering. Life is too short to try and find the perfect jeans when other troos suit me much better.

miche8 Sun 21-Aug-11 16:58:24

tracyk - i think you would be ok in levis, i'm a 14 sometimes 16 in places like next and new look. The levis sizing is weird and the different stretch in the colours varies, i recently have bought jeans from there in a 30inch and 32 inch waist.

TracyK Sun 21-Aug-11 17:15:46

I might have one last go at jeans and do a special trip to Levis in town. I sometimes think that denim is a thick material and therefore will add an extra cm or so onto my body - a cm I cannot afford to be adding!

MrsMilton Sun 21-Aug-11 17:53:03

The only thing about posh jeans is they tend to only come in a very long leg -34" which is a problem for most women (other than supermodels) especially if you want to wear them with flats. Stores will usually take them up but the fee can be hefty if you want "original hem" (ie. where they save the hem and restitch it after shortening to retain the original look of the jean).

I do agree though that you can really feel the difference once you push through the £100 barrier for jeans. If you happen to be going to America(!) or know someone who's going or lives there and can post, they are roughly half the price.

foxinsocks Mon 22-Aug-11 04:18:22

Levis are good in that sense as they cater for the short legged amongst us :-). I'm a 30 30 (waist and leg) in Levis and a 12 in normal clothes.

Haven't tried on other designer jeans but did see some other ones in John Lewis that looked quite nice (think they were 7 or those other ones with daughter in the title!).

TracyK Mon 22-Aug-11 16:12:20

Long leg would be fine for me - I'm 35 waist (on a diet!) and 33 or 34 inch inside leg.
I have it on my list for next time shopping in the city.

mousymouse Mon 22-Aug-11 16:14:57

have you looked at the gap curvy ones?
I have proper big thighs and these fit well.

TracyK Mon 22-Aug-11 16:16:24

I could try them too - my problem area is muscly thighs and fat/big knees!

HouseOfBamboo Mon 22-Aug-11 17:52:36

Yes I'd second Gap - though it can be a bit hit and miss as to what stock they have. See if you can find a super-helpful assistant and explain in detail what your problem is, stepping out of the changing room to show them the gapes etc. Try on millions of sizes and styles.

I did this the other day and ended up with a pair of dark Long and Lean which weren't even out on the shop floor yet, and they fitted really well (I have the large thigh and gaping at the back problem too). They will need to be taken up, but I can live with that.

Dilligaf81 Mon 22-Aug-11 18:34:35

Gap or River Island for me. Im a 8-10 but always have the back Gap on other Jeans.

Lizzywishes Mon 22-Aug-11 18:37:04

Apparently, Selfridges has a body scanning machine that tells you which jeans you should wear! James jeans are good, if you are shelling out.

bellaisinHawaii Mon 22-Aug-11 18:38:57

French Connection straight legged jeans.

I always failed in the jeans dept until we had a dress down day at work and a colleague had some fab jeans on - asked her where she got them from and went straight out and bought a pair. They are £75 and I have never ever spent this amount on jeans before, but do you know what? Two weeks later I went and got another pair grin I wear one for knocking about in and the other pair for going out in.

bellaisinHawaii Mon 22-Aug-11 18:40:08

Not sure what the icon is but is should be a grin

bellaisinHawaii Mon 22-Aug-11 18:41:20

Oh ffs what is going on? The grin wasn't there before <<sigh>>

gastrognome Wed 24-Aug-11 10:08:32

I always find that Gap jeans fit really poorly at the front. There seems to be too much fabric so they go all "pouchy", rather than fitting nice and smoothly.
Also IMO they either lose their shape after two wears or they have so much lycra in them they cling in all the wrong places!

Having said that I love their work trousers and chinos. And they are good for maternity jeans, which are usually hard to find in any nice styles!

kplondon Thu 25-Aug-11 07:10:17

Noarguments - this might be a bit cheeky but have you thought of going to one of the high-end jeans shops and have them fit you, but if money is an issue, hunt down their recommended jeans somewhere else? That Brix woman from the Gok Wan shows swears that she and her staff can find jeans for anyone - see this article. Once you have found the style of your dreams, mumsnetters can help you track them down on ebay for a song. Just a thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now