Talk

Advanced search

Muslin v flannel

(19 Posts)
JosieRosie Sun 21-Aug-11 13:44:55

I have just started a cleanse + polish 'regime' using Sanctuary cleanser and the muslin cloth which came with it. Loving it so far but was wondering if a regular cotton flannel would do the job just as well, or possibly even better as it's a bit rougher. Any thoughts? TIA

miche8 Sun 21-Aug-11 14:58:42

i use liz earls cleanser and sometime use a flannel, i like to use a clean cloth each day and don't have load of muslins, when you wash don't use softner, i do find over time the cloths soften. I think i prefer the feel of muslins but wish they wasn't white,my makeup stains them.

thestrawberrythief Sun 21-Aug-11 15:27:23

I use a mixture of muslins and flannels, think I prefer the flannel as it holds the heat of the water for longer.

LordOfTheFlies Sun 21-Aug-11 17:02:37

I have a collection of white flannels for the shower to use with shower gel or soap.They feel a bit soft and thick for my face TBH.

I do have the Liz Earle muslin cloths which are a bit for texture (although soft) to exfoliate.

madmomma Mon 22-Aug-11 20:13:55

toptip (or maybe dull, crap tip - you be the judge): If you like the whole Eve Lom shebang with the fancy muslins - you can cut cheapo baby muslins from asda into 4 and they do the job just as well. Then you can have loads, and bleach the hell out of them as and when. They exfoliate etc just as nicely as the Eve Lom ones, and you don't feel such a self-indulgent money-wasting princess so extravagant paying £££ for a glorified hanky.

wildfig Mon 22-Aug-11 20:51:58

I use flannels. I don't like the way the muslins scrunch up into nothing in your hand, and the flannels feel pretty much exactly like the 'facial mittens' the therapist uses to remove the cleanser when I used to have Guinot facials.

cyb Mon 22-Aug-11 20:53:57

I'm a flannel gal- have 100's

MissBeehiving Mon 22-Aug-11 21:23:33

Ooh, flannels forshure.

PinotsKittens Tue 23-Aug-11 09:30:59

Flannels here too. Ikea sells them in packs for £. Or if you're really broke, cut up an old towel. The muslins don't hold heat long enough IMO.

Pootles2010 Tue 23-Aug-11 09:37:02

I use muslin - didn't realise flannel would hold heat better, will try, thanks!

Had to laugh at the muslins staining - stupidly used one of mine to wipe off a chocolate face mask, now looks like.... well you can imagine blush

JosieRosie Tue 23-Aug-11 09:47:25

Thanks everyone. Sounds like flannels are the way forward! You can get a 4 pack in Primark for just one squid by the way grin

ZacharyQuack Tue 23-Aug-11 10:53:59

Flannels. Nice cheap rough ones.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 23-Aug-11 12:55:19

Wilko's do 5 flannels for a quid IIRC (disclaimer: other flannel retailers are available)
Happy cleansing OP but I am a bit disappointed as I thought this was someone posting in the style of a Jane Austen heroine.
grin

aquavit Tue 23-Aug-11 13:02:48

ROFL Olivia - 'muslin is so pretty but it picks up grass stains as I trudge over miles of parkland to gaze on Mr Darcy's estates. Flannel wears much better but AIBU to think it makes me somewhat masculine?'

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 23-Aug-11 14:26:05

Muslin every time. I feel like they take my makeup off better because they are finer. And they are miles better at exfoliating.

Like the idea of cutting up baby muslins, but don't the edges fray? Or do you hem them??

JosieRosie Tue 23-Aug-11 14:30:20

Olivia grin - sorry to disappoint you! And myself - would love a bit of Mr Darcy action wink

PinotsKittens Tue 23-Aug-11 14:33:18

Mr Darcy covered in just a muslin square .... <clutches pearls>

JosieRosie Tue 23-Aug-11 14:37:09

Oh please PinotsKittens! I'm having a hard enough time stopping myself melting into a little puddle at the thought of Dominic West in 'The Hour' tonight without you raising my blood pressure even more wink

PinotsKittens Tue 23-Aug-11 14:54:08

Ooh yeah it's the last one tonight. Love that show (but I think he had a bottom double in that sex scene with Belle).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now