Talk

Advanced search

Eye shadow brushes- recommend please

(21 Posts)
ameliagrey Sun 21-Aug-11 13:38:00

I am going to buy a couple of new ones- think I need one to cover lids with a base shadow then a smaller one for adding a darker tone.

Was looking at Clinique, and good old J Lewis's own.

Current ones are either Boots No 7 or Body shop.
can't afford Bobbi Brown @ £26 each.

whojimmyflip Sun 21-Aug-11 15:02:26

Hard to find good but inexpensive ones. Stila brushes are good and you can find them online at boots.

rubyslippers Sun 21-Aug-11 15:06:50

I just got a Space NK one for a fiver in their sale (was £25)

If you can hang on for sales you can get a bargain

Have also bought make up brushes on eBay (BNIP) which have been cheaper

whojimmyflip Sun 21-Aug-11 15:47:55

Ruby, did you get it instore?

Amelia
this looks like a good one
www.hqhair.com/stila-15-double-sided-crease-liner-brush/10421664.html

I like the No 7 ones and buy them when Boots do the 5 pound off vouchers; ditto Ruby and Millie (the R&M ones are better).

rubyslippers Sun 21-Aug-11 17:16:58

Online - spacenk.co.uk

LoveInAColdClimate Sun 21-Aug-11 17:29:45

Are you anywhere near Bicester shopping village? My favourite eyeshadow brush is a Bobbi Brown one which I got in a vvvvvvv reduced travel pack from Bicester. Probably not worth a special trip but if you or anyone you know might be going anyway? I also have some nice Ruby & Millie ones - not as nice as the BB one but much more affordable than full price BB. Mac also have a good reputation for brushes, although I haven't got any.

ameliagrey Sun 21-Aug-11 17:41:44

Nowhere near Bicester- sad
Space NK don't have any more in sale and just have v expensive ones.

Looking at J lewis website and quite like the look ao Japonesque (sp??) as they are natural materials.

Hva got No 7 and they are okay, but one has broken so thought I might try another brand.

spout Sun 21-Aug-11 17:48:11

I find the Body Shop brushes fantastic. Weird, as most of their make up is not.

whojimmyflip Sun 21-Aug-11 18:21:26

Japonesque is a good reasonable proce brand

Fuzzled Sun 21-Aug-11 20:42:37

Body shop.

I have a set I bought a few years ago which I clean religiously and are still as good as the day I bought them. smile

niniane Mon 22-Aug-11 20:44:25

Crown brushes are excellent and are widely used by makeup artists. The majority of mine are from there. They are also rumoured to make the brushes for a rather large and well known company.....

www.crownbrush.co.uk

whojimmyflip Mon 22-Aug-11 21:32:00

Nin have you seen the delivery costs on the website and also, how do you siphon out the good stuff?
what company?!

niniane Mon 22-Aug-11 21:48:59

I like their studio and studio pro brushes. I'd forgotten about their rather high delivery charges which reminded me that I got my last brushes from here:
www.love-makeup.co.uk/
They sell Crown brushes but their delivery charges are only £2.95 (I think). Also if you enter the code loyal then you'll get a 5% discount.

Crown are rumoured to make brushes for MAC. I have no idea if this is true, and indeed it's not a rumour a company would try to stop, however I have seen it mentioned several times on various beauty/make-up forums etc.

whojimmyflip Mon 22-Aug-11 22:10:14

So do you have any in particular that you would recommend (with links!)

It's so hard to tell from a photo.

AmaraDresden Tue 23-Aug-11 12:48:37

I can't reccommend ELF brushes (eyeslipsface.co.uk) enough, they're so cheap ad the studio ones are very good - otherwise MACs 217 is a great blending brush, think it's about £17 ish. Sigma (sigmamakeup.com) is another brand that has some standout brushes, they are shipped from America tho. there are a lot of reviews onbeauty blogs and youtube for all off them.

AmaraDresden Tue 23-Aug-11 12:50:22

oh and ruby and millie are no longer being produced but i did see my local boots selling them very cheap a week or so ago. personally i found their eyebrush too scratchy.

PandaG Tue 23-Aug-11 12:55:02

double ended brush here. love it.

whojimmyflip Tue 23-Aug-11 16:01:46

Really Amara? The elf ones are good? I am always disappointed by their makeup it's sparkly crap so have low hopes for brushes.

Cocktail cosmetics sell sigma brushes. They are copies of MAC but much cheaper. Haven't actually tried them though to be able to recommend.

AmaraDresden Wed 24-Aug-11 23:35:40

Yeah the ELF Studio brushes are lovely, the basic range aren't though! The studio ones are silky soft and I've not had any shed on me yet either. I've got mixed feelings about ELF, some bits are well worth the money, whereas others are sparkly chalky crap like you say lol.

AmaraDresden Wed 24-Aug-11 23:35:40

Yeah the ELF Studio brushes are lovely, the basic range aren't though! The studio ones are silky soft and I've not had any shed on me yet either. I've got mixed feelings about ELF, some bits are well worth the money, whereas others are sparkly chalky crap like you say lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now