Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Gel eye liner- someone tell me about it please.

(22 Posts)
prolificwillybreeder Sun 21-Aug-11 10:25:03

I want some but I dont really know what the difference is between that and just plain old liquid.
Which brand is best and what colour?
I'm fair, dark brown hair and blue-green eyes, looking to accentuate them.

Sorry for the dumb question but I would feel even more stupid asking in RL!

LordOfTheFlies Sun 21-Aug-11 10:53:09

I bought some Cosmetic A La Carte from QVC ( in the sale) The gel is just that, a thick gel but not like those mascaras that you used to get in the block and spit on.Yuk. More of a slippy texture but not oily.
Duo pack of dark green and dark purple (I've got brown eyes)

Problem I had was finding a fine brush. I don't really want to Amy Winehouse look and the ones in the shops were really thick.
I got some nice long handles very fine art brushes.

You need to build up and smudge but it does stay put.Its easy to put too much on

Bobbi Brown and Smashbox are supposed to be good.
Why not look at QVC because you can try for 30 days under their guarentee.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 21-Aug-11 11:13:06

Mac is good. I have the same colouring and have one in a plum/ violet colour. They also do the brushes which are fab. My sister swears by Bobbi Brown.
Gel is easy to apply and looks less harsh. Also doesn't smudge or run.

gregssausageroll Sun 21-Aug-11 11:15:24

I won't use any other liner that BB gel liners. I agree you should buy from QVC as you can return if you really don't like.

this is fantastic value

whojimmyflip Sun 21-Aug-11 12:04:08

gel eyeliner is a far superior product to traditional liquid eyeliners. Liquid eyeliners have their own brush and dry leaving a harsh line. Gel eyeliners on the other hand go on much smoother and are more smudgeable ( if that is a word!), especially if you put an eyeshadow over the top to set the gel line.

the recommendations you have been given are all good but in terms of colour try a dark brown/black rather than black as it is more flattering (unless you are going for more of a 'look').

Bobbi brown in Espresso Ink for example. Also avoid the Bobbi Brown brush as they are a bit too thick. There is a brand in Superdrug called GOSH that has a good eyeliner brush - it is thin and pointy and under £6. I would link but am buggered if I can find it online.

TrillianAstra Sun 21-Aug-11 12:16:20

Bobbi brown ones are awesome.

Easier to control than liquid, I find.

I got a brown pot, a black pot, and a little brush for under £30 on an in-flight duty-free deal.

MrsRobertDuvall Sun 21-Aug-11 14:15:57

I find the Bb one smudges onto my eye socket...maybe I have very greasy eyelids? sad

whojimmyflip Sun 21-Aug-11 14:42:55

Mrs duval does it only hAppen with BB ones? If not try adding the same colour matt eyeshadow over the top with a small angled brush to set it.

prolificwillybreeder Sun 21-Aug-11 16:12:01

Thank you I'll skipping to BB and Superdrug this week.

moragbellingham Mon 22-Aug-11 08:55:34

Clinique has one that doesn't budge on my eyes. The colours are nice and unusual - I got Black Honey and Smoke grey as I couldn't decide.
I did buy another brush as the one provided is a bit small and wide.

MooMinCow Mon 22-Aug-11 09:27:10

Maybelline one is great, cheap and comes with a brush too. maybe try a cheaper one to see if you like the consistency and practice your technique? the brush is flat, about 3-4 mm wide, so you can use the flat side for wider line or turn it and use the edge to get a thin fine line.

pissedrightoff Mon 22-Aug-11 09:32:03

Smashbox do the best brush for gel eyeliner IME, It is angled and really easy to use.

KaySirah Mon 22-Aug-11 11:10:52

i used the bobbi brown one byt MUCH PREFER the clinique one

whojimmyflip Mon 22-Aug-11 15:02:32

clinique ones are watery- stick to BB

let us know how you get on

PharoahNuff Mon 22-Aug-11 18:32:59

disagree - find bb ones too hard for day wear.
with teh BB one you can make them look liek thick eyeliner

cyb Mon 22-Aug-11 18:37:36

Collection 2000 24 hr felt tip liner is great (unless you have greasy lids like moi)

cyb Mon 22-Aug-11 18:37:57

You and me both dead

PharoahNuff Mon 22-Aug-11 19:09:11

lol

niniane Mon 22-Aug-11 20:35:26

I love the BB gel liners closely followed by Smashbox. Justbeautydirect.com have a good Smashbox palette - its got 3 different liners, 4 eyeshadows and a brush. Can't seem to link directly to it but here's their site:

www.justbeautydirect.com/

AmaraDresden Tue 23-Aug-11 12:54:37

maybelliene do one now too. i have an ELF studio brush (eyeslipsface.co.uk) and a ms makeup (boots) brush and they were cheap and work very well. i love gel liner!

Bunsouttheoven Tue 23-Aug-11 13:01:35

A second vote for mabelline, easy to be precise, can apply thickly or thinly.

Just remember to clean the brush after each use otherwise it hardens.

brighthair Tue 23-Aug-11 13:04:41

I used to use MAC, but swapped to Maybelline and I actually prefer it, the brush is great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now