Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I make the front of me 'air stand up like?

(17 Posts)
GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Sun 21-Aug-11 00:54:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kladdkaka Sun 21-Aug-11 17:36:16

Do you mean like this?

TaudrieTattoo Sun 21-Aug-11 17:38:35

Have you seen There's Something About Mary?

Happy partner, high hair.

An all round result.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 22-Aug-11 13:16:15

BupcakesandCunting Mon 22-Aug-11 13:29:00

You mean a retro quiff, I fink...

Right. Do you have a fringe? If so, tie back the lengths of your hair, leaving your fringe out. Hold your head forwards (so you're looking at your feet) then comb your fringe through, then comb it from the roots upwards. Spray it with some Elnett or other strong hairspray. Then (this is the bit you need to get right) hold your fringe up and twist it from the ends to about halfway down, then push the fringe forwards. Then you need to pin the twisted section behind the quiff.

Does that make any sense whatsoever? grin

BupcakesandCunting Mon 22-Aug-11 13:31:50

Meant to say, if you don't have a fringe, section some hair off at the front to make your quiff. You can then either tie to lengths into a pony tail or just comb it through so it sits in the lengths of your hair.

aquavit Mon 22-Aug-11 13:46:45

Yes. Quiff with kirby grip; or, loads of spray plus big heated rollers in the front section (much more effective than dryer plus barrel brush).

Either way you are looking at boosting Elnett sales, specially if you try to do it without grips to shove it upwards.

Havingkittens Mon 22-Aug-11 15:35:40

If it's a Rita Hayworth type of thing you want, it's best to have your hair slightly layered at the front rather than all one length.

Start by parting your hair at the side. It's best to set the whole head into waves but as you've just asked about the front I guess you've got that bit covered. If not you need to set it in inch deep rows in a horseshoe or wreath shape. When you come to do the front you may find you need to experiment with the direction of the curls until you get the look you want. Take a comb and section off the front bit to about 1.5 inches deep and fasten the rest out of the way. Then take a section about an inch wide, hold it out straight and cover generously with Elnett or Tresemme hairspray and then, using the small rollers in a set of heated rollers, bring the section of hair across the parting so that it's at about a 45 degree angle to the opposite side of your head (this is called overdirecting the curl) and then curl it back toward the side of your face that you want the curl to fall over (are you still following me?!), keep doing that for 3 sections in a row and then let the rollers cool down. When you take them out backcomb the roots and form the waves around your fingers and then set with hairspray.

If that makes no sense whatsoever have a look on youtube for 1940s or Rita Hayworth hair tutorials.

My lovely friend Nina at Nina's Hair Parlour does personal tutorials if you fancy treating yourself. I wear my hair like this quite a lot but it's hard to explain the method in writing!

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 22-Aug-11 15:52:13

BupcakesandCunting Mon 22-Aug-11 16:02:12

Honestly, I don't have to roller mine or backcomb it. It's all nn the wrist technique. wink

Havingkittens Mon 22-Aug-11 18:49:08

Well, what the Gransnet lady is what I have described, but that's not what I'd call a quiff. That's more of a roller set. You won't have any luck getting that effect with large rollers as it will just fall out and go straight really quickly. You need to get the curl quite tight. You can brush the curl out with a hairbrush to get a looser wave but the set needs to start off quite tight to begin with.

whojimmyflip Mon 22-Aug-11 19:19:20

Listen to having kittens. It's all about getting a tight curl which you then brush out and manipulate over one eye

Kladdkaka Mon 22-Aug-11 20:21:02

Here are a couple of tutorials for 40s style hair I've come across. I promise no jedward in either one this time. grin

Do #1

Do #2

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Tue 23-Aug-11 00:11:35

Havingkittens Tue 23-Aug-11 10:00:31

Just watched that first one. I would still say don't use such a large roller at the front. You can experiment with the direction of the curl. Nina did teach me to roll it that way at the front but I've sometimes had better results rolling it, either the way I described or rolling it backwards, either straight from the forward backwards or diagonally from the parting.

The horseshoe or wreath shaped set I described basically is just rolling the hair under in rows, starting at the bottom (nape) and working up to the crown in rows curved around the shape of your head, rather than in straight lines. The girl in the tutorial rolled her hair upwards, so that's different to the traditional set. I think it's a case of finding what works best for you. I have been practicing and experimenting with this for years and some days it looks great and some days it gets sworn at and scraped into a ponytail!

You can also experiment with which products work best for you. Some like setting lotion, mousse or gel before drying and then just a spritz of hairspray once the style is finished. Nina likes to have clean, dry hair and then coat each section with hairspray before rolling. I am like the girl in the video, I don't really like to use much product until the end to finish the style as I find it weighs my hair down. You might find the same if you have fine hair. Also, some people like to use rollers, some like those "hot sticks" and others prefer tongs. I personally get on best with tongs - about 16-18mm barrels are best.

Good luck!

BTW, by your parting words it sounds like you are local to me. If you see someone with 40s/50s hair with a (natural) white streak through the front in your local area it could well be me!

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Tue 23-Aug-11 22:25:10

Havingkittens Tue 23-Aug-11 23:14:35

Haha, well I've been known to support a wonky quiff myself, and worse, especially in the supermarket!

I am 41, but look probably mid 30s (from the neck up anyway). The white streak, well grey really, has been developing over the last 7 years or so but has been a feature for about 4 or 5 of those once it became solid enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now