Talk

Advanced search

Waxing armpits advice.

(9 Posts)
LordOfTheFlies Sat 20-Aug-11 18:20:53

Can anyone help or shed some light?

I'm a fairly regular waxer (I use an epilator on legs for speed but I couldn't bear to on arm-pits)
I wait til the hairs are a good length, exfoliate, dry, use a dusting of talc.
I use a hotwax with strips.When I whip off the strips the hairs are the full length with the little hair-root (like a lump) so I know I'm not snapping them off.

But I still get a 'five o' clock shadow' effect.And when the adverts burble on about four weeks hair free- In My Dreams!
I've got dark brown hair and pale freckled skin.
I don't want to go down the laser or permenant route, or shaving/ creams.

Any advice?

TattyDevine Sat 20-Aug-11 19:48:36

Not really. That sounds weird though I have heard hairs grow 2 out of every follicle. Wonder if its something to do with that?

The only thing I would say is - you have an epilator. You want hair free skin. Man up. I know it hurts under arms at first, but there's your answer. Do it every 2 or 3 days and you will be hair free, promise it will become every 2 or 3 weeks.

TattyDevine Sat 20-Aug-11 19:49:16

Just to say, I use my epilator (Braun Silk Epil) under arms and nearly died at first but its worth it.

LordOfTheFlies Sun 21-Aug-11 10:45:27

I do get the two hairs in one follicle thing come to think of it.

I had a bad experience with a LadyShave years ago-( I know that's not an eplitaor ) it caught my armpit skin and nipped a chunk out of it.

This might be a load of balony, but I feel the hot wax (cold strips don't work for me) opens up the hair follicle pore and I can manage each pit in two strips.And I can do it in with a quick flick of the wrist.

I don't know whether a salon would do things different and give longer lasting results or I'm just destined to be furry.But less so since hitting the wax.

groak Wed 24-Aug-11 06:32:23

Ooh, can i hijack this thread? TattyDevine, when you use your epilator on your armpits, are you using the foil thingy thatlooks like a blokes facial shaver or do you go hardcore and just use it like you would for your legs?

Bonsoir Wed 24-Aug-11 07:35:36

Why don't you want to go down the laser route? I have many friends like you (dark hair, pale skin) who have done it for the very reason you describe, to avoid five o'clock shadow, and they are all very pleased indeed with the results.

LordOfTheFlies Wed 24-Aug-11 09:41:48

Bonsoir I think time and money is my main enemy.
I know you can get the home use one but I don't know how safe and effective they are.

Thinking to the future though, my DD looks like she is going to be a candidate. She's 9 at the moment (so plenty of time ) but she's got quite fluffy legs and arms.
I was going to get her straight onto wax when she's old enough.

Bonsoir Wed 24-Aug-11 09:47:21

I have one of those home laser things - DP sells them in his shops in Italy and we got it at a big discount. I think they cost about EUR 500, which I know is a lot, but less, surely, that the lifetime cost of waxing, especially if more than one woman is using it?

HouseOfBamboo Wed 24-Aug-11 10:17:52

I think with waxing hardcore hairs you have to do TWO waxes, about a week apart. The first to get the ones that are already 'out' and the second to get the shadowy lurkers under the skin once they have popped out. Once both those lots are gone you have a chance of having a hair and shadow free couple of weeks (whoopee).

Are you lining up the wax and pulling against the direction of hair growth? This is particularly tricky with armpits as the buggers tend to grow in a swirly pattern.

I'd really like to try one of those home laser thingys, but they are £££. Hope they come down in price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now