Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is black really a no-no interview colour to wear ?

(11 Posts)
Thehusbandsatcricketagain Sat 20-Aug-11 17:47:10

I need a no-nonsense dress for any up-coming interviews (am applying left/right & centre) & I have ordered 2 black wool dresses from boden,1 of which is on a 5 week wait which I thought would be perfect,classic,timeless,versatile for adding accesories,jackets ect BUT have just read some article (daily mail I think it was) that said black is not a good colour for interviews......but black suits me right up near my face,so now am confused,is black really a no go area for a job interview?

It also said red was a no & was going to team black dress with tailored red jacket,can anyone tell me as it's been a while since I went for an interview for a decent job where the impression counts straight off !!!

TrillianAstra Sat 20-Aug-11 17:51:18

Ignore the Daily Mail.

Well, I wonder ever take notice of any other thing the Daily Mail said, so I would happily ignore that rubbish too.

I'm not terribly fond of black and red personally, as it can look a bit 'Robert Palmer video' but if it suits you and it's smart then you should go for it.

And good luck!

wouldn't not wonder - was trying to multi-task (and failing).

Imgoingtocounttofive Sat 20-Aug-11 17:57:50

I think it's a good idea to research the company. I have worked in recruitment for toooo many years and the times that I have heard the a candidate was "too funky" "too conservative" "too powerdressed" "too fogey" etc. (funny, I have never had that feedback about men, it's rarely noticed what they wear ffs it's 2011!)

It's a load of rubbish that black is a bad colour. Black is a colour that can't be critisized at all. A sensible black dress with a blouse underneath (and a jacket if the company is corporate) is a safe bet. Good well heeled & clean shoes, manicured nails, understated but faultless make up and a smile is more important that thinking too much about what you wear.
But do find out about the company, maybe park up outside and see what the employees wear. I'm not suggesting that if they are casually dressed you should wear jeans to the interview. But if they're all over 50 and wearing long floral skirts and M&Co blouses, don't go dressed in a sharp black, power suit. And if they all look like something off Wall Street, don't wear a red shift dress and spikey pumps!
Good luck!!!

Imgoingtocounttofive Sat 20-Aug-11 17:58:26

And... what trills said. Best to apply this advice to all situations.

Funk Sat 20-Aug-11 17:58:33

You don't really believe half of what you read in newspapers do you?

Black is great and smart for an interview.

Avinalarf Sat 20-Aug-11 18:00:39

I would always wear black to an interview unless it was a hot summer's day. It's smart, sober and business-appropriate.

What was the DM advising you should wear?!

beanlet Sat 20-Aug-11 18:01:56

It's the Daily Misogyny. Ignore.

I have worn black to all my successful interviews, usually with a splash of colour or grey/White somewhere.

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Sat 20-Aug-11 18:17:16

Many thanks to all the replies,I feel so much happier now as I would have thought that a plain black wool dress was perfect interview wear but as I have not had a proper interview for a while the rules could have changed.

Remus - robert palmer,god that takes me back.

Imgoing - will take all advice on & heed.

funk - I have never read the daily mail,am a telegraph girl,df used to read that & the ft & I have never changed although dh reads the times

Trillian - am ignoring already

& beanlet - am taking your success as a sign grin

SimplyTes Sat 20-Aug-11 18:28:55

Hello, worked in recruitment for years and DH is a headhunter. Always aim for a polished look as this is seen as reflecting your work style. Also can I just add if you love the job tell them at the end of the interview something like, "thank you so much for this opportunity and I would like to add that if offered the job I would be delighted to accept," leaves the interview panel / person v positive and v likely to remember you, also the doubt of whether you would actually accept the job is gone!

Good luck ps your outfit sounds perfect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now