Talk

Advanced search

OMG I am an idiot. Please help!

(31 Posts)

I am so stupid. Have just remembered that we're going to an evening wedding reception tomorrow and I haven't given any thought at all about what to wear because I'd forgotten all about it! The invitation says 'Smart casual' whatever the flip that might mean.

Please chuck some ideas this way, if you'd be so kind! smile I'm hoping the best ideas will be things that I already have, so I don't have to spend any money.

CMOTdibbler Fri 19-Aug-11 19:58:36

Smart casual means pretty much anything above the level of jeans and a t shirt will be ok, so not much trouble

CaptainNancy Fri 19-Aug-11 20:02:27

Can't you wear onee of youur VW things? (And I don't mean a campervan)

So absolutely 'no' to jeans?

I could wear VW but is that too dressy? I've got a fab VW silk top but don't know what to wear it with if not jeans.

Things I have got -

VW draped skirts in pale grey and dark grey
VW black jersey dress
The above mentioned top
Phase 8 Janice (but would need emergency sewing)
Phase 8 silk feather print dress (I love this but I usually wear it for work!)
Warehouse silk dress in navy and purple (v colourful for me!) but it has no sleeves so would need something over it
Erm---a couple of pretty silk tops.
Various pairs of heels.

cookielove Fri 19-Aug-11 20:09:00

i would wear this cause i love it, and wanted to link to it for ages

with these

smile Not so sure about the shoes but the dress is lovely. sadly, it isn't currently hanging up in my wardrobe!

cookielove Fri 19-Aug-11 20:31:49

Yeah agree about the shoes, but oh how do i love that dress smile

needtogetalife Fri 19-Aug-11 20:34:26

but I would see that dress as dressed up, smart casual to me could mean decent jeans with a nice top and maybe heals. But Im really not good with this kind of thing

berri Fri 19-Aug-11 20:41:23

I'd definitely not wear a dress to something 'smart/casual'. I think jeans, heels and a dressy-ish top would be fine so I'm sure you'll have something - silk one sounds perfect.

madammecholet Fri 19-Aug-11 20:56:18

Wear Vw black dress, better to be over rather than under IMO smile

cookielove Fri 19-Aug-11 20:59:47

yeah your right it is, but i still love it, <fingers crossed i win the lottery so i can buy my damsel in a dress, dress>

notlettingthefearshow Fri 19-Aug-11 21:02:51

Not jeans, but smart trousers plus top would be fine.

ImNotYourFuckingHunni Fri 19-Aug-11 21:11:48

I love that dress, I had my Damsel trousers on for work today, the dress from the front would be good for work but it has a v back sad

Smart casual in my book is skinny jeans, heels & pretty top btw.

Argh - don't know what to go for now!

The only trousers I have, other than jeans, are v v boring work trousers (a couple of wide legged pairs and a pair of black cigarette style) or some skinny combats.

I do like wearing dresses, so I doubt I'd feel too dressed up tbh, but a dress opens up the whole 'what to wear on legs' issue at this time of year, as well!

LydiaWickham Fri 19-Aug-11 21:46:27

I'd wear one of the 2 phase8 dresses, they are both suitable. I think the feathers one would slightly swing it.

Remember, lots of other people there will have been at the wedding in the day, so will be dressed up so you don't have to worry about being overdressed, but you could look under-dressed in jeans. (IME 'Smart-Casual' when applied to weddings ends up meaning "no hats for the girls and the guys just don't wear a tie with their suit and shirt")

On legs, it's going to be hot this weekend, bare legs. What sort of shoes do you have to go with either dress?

TrillianAstra Fri 19-Aug-11 21:51:05

Smart casual =

skirt and top
smart trousers and top
dress (not too shiny/strapless/spangly)

as long as none are too "worky"

note I didn't say "nice top" as you are unlikely to be going to a wedding in a shit top wink

Thanks both.

Okay, it's going to be a dress or a skirt then as I don't have any suitable trousers.

Shoes -
high black wedge strappy sandals;
high black wedge shoes with an ankle strap, a bit like Minnie Mouse would wear;
tan wedge shoes with cutouts at the front/the wedge is wooden and they have a slight 70s vibe;
sensible nude sandals with a v small wooden heel;
Fly wedges but a strange colour - sort of greenish - and not comfortable.

Skirts I have other than the VW ones include:

black pleated one like those that are all the rage at the mo but just below knee length - looks nice with the Minnie Mouse shoes;
short striped tulip skirt;
purple tulip skirt;
50s style black satiny one;
black and white silk but a bit mumsy.

Really not sure re bare legs...

miche8 Sat 20-Aug-11 09:22:50

I think smart casual would mean smart jeans.....however i would wear a dress i love an excuse to get dressed up.

bishboschone Sat 20-Aug-11 10:02:08

cookie...what are the sizes like for that website? I like that dress v much

TracyK Sat 20-Aug-11 10:06:12

I like that dress too - but would be worried the 'tweed' bit would add bulk.

oldenoughtowearpurple Sat 20-Aug-11 10:08:28

I think Smart Casual means NOT jeans (or skinny combats either).

TracyK Sat 20-Aug-11 10:36:26

Smart/casual to a drinks/dinner could mean smart jeans - but smart/casual to a wedding - NOT jeans imo. Esp if there are day wedding guests - they will be done up to the nines and you'd end up looking like a tube.

pink4ever Sat 20-Aug-11 11:34:48

What kind of wedding do would you go to wher it is ok to wear jeans?<mind boggles> I much prefer to be over dressed.Both the Janice dresses are lovely. I would wear opaques but I wear them whatever the weather as my legs are minging.

Oh I will deffo wear a dress or a skirt and not jeans. There's no way I would have thought of jeans until they were mentioned on here.

I think I'll wear the VW dress, as I feel thinner in it than in the Phase 8 ones!
I don't think I can wear opaques though as it's only August and I wouldn't normally wear black opaques until around October as they just feel wrong!

How about black dress, nude stockings or nude fishnets, black Minnie Mouse shoes, little cape thing to break up the black, lots of bangles? Does that sound too black overall?

Anyone? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now